Old 04-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #1

Thinking of getting a 23SS and want your opinion

Hello everyone! We are brand new to RVing and are doing A LOT of research before making the commitment to buy. Our tow vehicle is my everyday vehicle and we want to make sure that we don't put too much stress on it.

I would love to hear general opinions on the 23SS and how you think we would like it as a family of five (twin girls 6 and a boy 2). Coming from the tent camping world I am a little concerned about leaks, but my main concern is how it will work with my vehicle.

On paper, it absolutely meets all of the number requirements, but reality can be a different matter. I have posted my TV info below. If anyone has a TV with similar specs (wheelbase is most important to me as power and weight are fine), can you let me know how it works for you and what WDH you would recommend?

TV Specs:

2011 Infiniti QX56 (AWD)
5.4 liter V8 engine with tow mode
400 hp
418 pound-feet of torque
121.1" wheelbase

8500 lbs max towing capacity
850 lbs max tongue load
GCWR 14,480 lbs

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide! This is a big decision and we really want to avoid any costly mistakes.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:36 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum and to Roos. Congratulations on doing your research first!!

We are a family of five, too, and own a 233S so maybe I can give you a little insight.

I tow with a Toyota Sequoia as spec'd in my signature below. It has similar ratings and dimensions although I do not know enough about the QX56 than what is listed on paper. There are a bunch of ratings and weights for you to consider and I will point to just one that might be a problem for you: The payload of your QX56 needs to be watched carefully and you will want to run the numbers yourself using the actual weight of your SUV, passengers, mods and cargo.

Here's a towing calculator to help.

Personally, we are within our ratings with our Sequoia and the 233S, but barely with the payload now that the children are older. You mentioned wheelbase of 121". We are at 122". We are fine with that wheelbase. But, I recommend you replace your OEM P-rated tires with LTs. They help quite a bit to provide more stability.

Other thoughts:

Don't be too concerned about leaks with a hybrid or any trailer. Plenty of us have never had a bunk leak. Some have and they tend to be vocal about it, which is their right, but its not the norm. Good maintenance is the watchword with leaks.

Regarding the 23SS. I recommended the 233S for a family of 5. The additional bunk is really nice. With only two bunks in the 23SS, you will have to pack them all into one, have one sleep with you or setup the table or couch each night. That becomes old really fast (did that for years with a popup). Plus, its nice for us to be able to sit at the table at night while the kids are sleeping.

The 233S is 50lbs heavier and the slide-out is different, but the beds would be more important to me having three kids. Think it over.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:53 PM   #3

Thanks!

Thanks so much for your reply! That is about a close a match as I have seen on the threads.

Oops.. I forgot to include my payload figure!

Payload = 1587

Like you mentioned, I think we are just fine for about 10 years until all of the kids are teenagers and they want to bring a friend. We still might make it but it would be too close for comfort for me. By then, it will probably be time for a new TV or TT or both.

Great feedback about the bunks - thanks! We are considering both but were more drawn to the 23SS because of the storage spaces. Hard to say what would be more irritating - pulling out the sleep sofa or having our stuff spread all over the place.

Do you have any recommendations for a WDH and auto brake controller?

Thanks again!
Old 04-01-2013, 01:00 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRooFamily View Post
Great feedback about the bunks - thanks! We are considering both but were more drawn to the 23SS because of the storage spaces. Hard to say what would be more irritating - pulling out the sleep sofa or having our stuff spread all over the place.
LOL - its always a balance of needs. Try to sit in both for an hour and imagine what it might be like on a rainy day or at night with all of you in there. Its true, though, that the 233S is woefully lacking storage. Not really sure what to do about that either so we just live with it.

Quote:
Do you have any recommendations for a WDH and auto brake controller?

Thanks again!
Equal-i-zer 4-point with a prodigy P2 or P3 are what I use and like to recommend.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Hello everyone! We are brand new to RVing and are doing A LOT of research before making the commitment to buy. Our tow vehicle is my everyday vehicle and we want to make sure that we don't put too much stress on it.

I would love to hear general opinions on the 23SS and how you think we would like it as a family of five (twin girls 6 and a boy 2). Coming from the tent camping world I am a little concerned about leaks, but my main concern is how it will work with my vehicle.

On paper, it absolutely meets all of the number requirements, but reality can be a different matter. I have posted my TV info below. If anyone has a TV with similar specs (wheelbase is most important to me as power and weight are fine), can you let me know how it works for you and what WDH you would recommend?

TV Specs:

2011 Infiniti QX56 (AWD)
5.4 liter V8 engine with tow mode
400 hp
418 pound-feet of torque
121.1" wheelbase

8500 lbs max towing capacity
850 lbs max tongue load
GCWR 14,480 lbs

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide! This is a big decision and we really want to avoid any costly mistakes.
Unless you are absolutely stuck on the "tent" experience I suggest you check out some trailers that offer hard slides instead of tents. I have friends that bought a tent end T.T. and wished they would have bought a full hard side.

I'm not trying to start any kinda fight , I know people either love or hate the hybrid type trailers! There is lots of choice in either style that will accommodate your family.

More room (hybrid) or less work (hard sided), more outdoors (hybrid) or less water worries (hard sided - usually...). Again, just my opinion...

Good luck, either way you will create lots of great family memories from camping!

Just remember, your third trailer should have been your first... LOL!

Shineysideup
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:03 AM   #6

Tri is on to something with what he said. I just received my 23SS and love it. But my situation is less kids then yourself. With what you described I think T is right 233S. You'll really appreciate the extra bunk - as the kids get older they want that space. The sofa bed in the 23SS isn't much and is very small like a toddlers bed. And the dinette bed is like a double but it would be a pain to set that stuff up and down each night ... That's kind of the reason that I went to these hybrids was so I didn't have to keep setting up and taking down. Take everyone and visit a dealer and sit in both models for a half hour picturing bedtime now and 2 years from now. You'll pick which is best for you. Enjoy
Old 04-02-2013, 12:09 AM   #7

And the yes the storage rocks in a 23SS.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:08 AM   #8

I tend to agree with Triguy. I would definately consider a 233S over the 23SS.

We have a 23SS, and love it. however, when both kids (20 and 18) come camping, which is a couple of times a year, the sleeping arrangements are a pain, as one of them is on the dinette or couch.

good luck.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote