Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2019, 09:32 PM   #1

Tinted/Tempered Window Glass Shattered

I have a 2019 Forest River Flagstaff Shamrock 233S, which we have had since October 2018. We live in Massachusetts and the camper has gone through a winter without any issues. It has been on a few trips in the northeast area. Last weekend, I noticed that one of the tinted/tempered glass window covers shattered (this is the window above the couch/sofa which tilts out via a screw knob). Any idea what could have caused this glass to shatter? I know no one hit it. Could a bird flying into the window do this? Maybe a quick change in temperature? Has this happened to anyone else? Also, I thought I could just replace the tinted/tempered glass but my RV dealer says I have to replace the entire window. Does this sound right? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2006.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	485.1 KB
ID:	219155   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2003.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	798.5 KB
ID:	219156   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flagstaff.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	219157  
ssjkdavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:45 PM   #2

Had the exact same thing happen to me with my first camper. Had broken glass on the inside as well as the outside. I never did figure out what happened. It was parked in my yard and there are no trees anywhere around or anything else that could’ve broken the glass and I have no neighbors so it wasn’t a kid or something like that. I chalked it up to Mother Nature playing a cruel joke on me!

I filed a claim with my insurance company and they connected me with the RV glass maker (Lippert I believe). They asked for the code in the window frame and the measurements. I sent them the info and they shipped new glass to my local Mobile RV repair company. The guy came to my house, installed and tested the new glass, and everything was good as new. He even came to my house the day I discovered the broken glass and installed a temporary cover over the window to keep the rain out. Everything was covered by my insurance carrier. Couldn’t have asked for a better outcome.

Hope your repair was as seamless as mine!
FCFR3762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:47 PM   #3

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0215.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	327.9 KB
ID:	219160

Here is a pic of my window when it happened.
FCFR3762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:56 PM   #4

Kinda related as to what might be happening... My last car was a 2012 Hyundai Veloster that had problems with the moon/sun roof glass shattering unexpectedly (imploding) due to improper tempering at the glass factory. That year was part of a recall to check all the moon roofs for this condition. Not sure how they checked to see if it was going to explode or not, but mine (thankfully) never did. Just one of the many reasons I got rid of it.
It might be the same thing going on here as companies find more ways to save a few pennies. Just a thought.

http://hyundaiproblems.com/panoramic-sunroof/
mxtreme30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 01:02 AM   #5

Some folks here have reported a similar shattering of their shower doors.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:19 AM   #6

Possibly a defect in the glass and temperature swing made it shatter, or the way those bonded windows are made, a stone hit on the front edge while traveling, then the drop in temps finished the job.

Tempered glass is pretty tough. You can beat on the face of it with a hammer and have a hard time breaking it but hit it on the edge and it will shatter. Personally I don't care for those bonded windows as you have the exposed edge all the way around.

Typically you do have to replace the entire window/frame when it's an LCI window, unless you know of a glass shop who can obtain the glass then bond the panel to the hardware channels. I'm pretty sure LCI will not just sell the glass itself.
Feel Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 02:28 PM   #7

Post #2 above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel Swift View Post
Possibly a defect in the glass and temperature swing made it shatter, or the way those bonded windows are made, a stone hit on the front edge while traveling, then the drop in temps finished the job.

Tempered glass is pretty tough. You can beat on the face of it with a hammer and have a hard time breaking it but hit it on the edge and it will shatter. Personally I don't care for those bonded windows as you have the exposed edge all the way around.

Typically you do have to replace the entire window/frame when it's an LCI window, unless you know of a glass shop who can obtain the glass then bond the panel to the hardware channels. I'm pretty sure LCI will not just sell the glass itself.
Post #2 above suggests that Lippert (LCI) will, indeed, sell you the glass.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 02:57 PM   #8

Tempered Window

I am a former Commercial Glass Temperer. All tempered glass is under extreme pressure. A slight tap in a corner can cause it to shatter. Your window frame probably exerted uneven pressure on the glass. Then, as its opened and closed, pressure was exerted on an edge,causing the failure. Don't understand why you have to replace frame and glass. Any good glass company should be able to remove the frame and install new glass.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 02:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Post #2 above suggests that Lippert (LCI) will, indeed, sell you the glass.

There are plenty of posts on this forum, and others, that suggest otherwise.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ss-191044.html

I have dealt with Lippert on many occasions, but never on a piece of glass.

One thing about LCI. If the person you talk to today tells you they can do this, the person you talk to tomorrow will probably say they can't. Rep A may tell you they made part #1264, person B may tell you they don't and does not have a clue as to where to begin looking for it.

Then if they do send you something, chances are 50/50 it will be the wrong size or something else will be wrong.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:37 PM   #10

OP has a 2019 and pretty sure that means it's a frameless window that tilts out...
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMorrell View Post
I am a former Commercial Glass Temperer. All tempered glass is under extreme pressure. A slight tap in a corner can cause it to shatter. Your window frame probably exerted uneven pressure on the glass. Then, as its opened and closed, pressure was exerted on an edge,causing the failure. Don't understand why you have to replace frame and glass. Any good glass company should be able to remove the frame and install new glass.

Jim, there is no frame, look at the picture in the OP's original post. The glass simply lays against a rubber seal that is on the face of the frame when the window is closed. The edge of the glass is completely exposed. I blew one out once by hitting that edge with rock while using a weedwacker.

Its a crappy design.

Now Rockwood puts a huge curved piece of tempered glass on the front caps of TT's. It too has an exposed edge right where the tow vehicle can kick road debris up into it.

The people who come up with these things are morons.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:11 PM   #12

Sorry that your window broke. I had one that broke summer of 2018 on the top of the world highway. Below is a thread that I replied to about the frame less windows and how to protect them Post #7.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-a-174037.html

Hope This Helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:35 PM   #13

Not just the edge

Quote:

It's not just the edge. Tempered glass is produced by cooling the surfaces quickly while the core remains hot. Tempering puts the outer surfaces into compression and the interior into tension. The entire product is under stress. A scratch or nick anywhere can cause it to fragment.

I was mowing next to my son's 1970 VW Beetle and a small rock hit a side window on the flat surface (all edges in tracks, unexposed) and it crumbled.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:39 PM   #14

Frameless?

Quote:
Jim, there is no frame, look at the picture in the OP's original post. The glass simply lays against a rubber seal that is on the face of the frame when the window is closed. The edge of the glass is completely exposed. I blew one out once by hitting that edge with rock while using a weedwacker.

Its a crappy design.

Now Rockwood puts a huge curved piece of tempered glass on the front caps of TT's. It too has an exposed edge right where the tow vehicle can kick road debris up into it.

The people who come up with these things are morons.
Tailgate windows on all 2001-2006 Yukons, Suburbans, and Tahoes are frameless tempered glass with exposed edges. Probably the Explorers, too. Never heard of one breaking.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:42 PM   #15

Three (and possibly more ) potential possible issues #1 edge damage during manufacture, usage or installation. As the glass shatters there is no way to detect after it falls out Not typically warranted. #2 A scratch +/- 10% into the glass surface that can sporadically blow the glass. Not typically warranted. #3 There is a tempered glass phenomena called nickel sulfide inclusions. It is not visible or testable for. Not typically warranted. In any case These type of windows rarely are re-glazable because of manufacturer and installer liability. Sorry looks like a new window is in order.
windowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Tailgate windows on all 2001-2006 Yukons, Suburbans, and Tahoes are frameless tempered glass with exposed edges. Probably the Explorers, too. Never heard of one breaking.

Yep, but the edge is not exposed when they are closed so unless your riding around with the hatch open? On these windows the entire edge sits about 3/8" to 1/2" out from the side of the wall. In the case of the front window on the Minilites, its probably more like 3/4".

Here's a scenario regarding the front glass. What happens if it blows out 4 or 5 years from now? Will it even be available the way they constantly make changes to these things? I doubt you will call Safelite or someone and get it.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:30 PM   #17

Front glass is always non-tempered laminated, is normally available for several years. There is fabricators that will make custom laminated front glass (Curved and special shape Many $$$$$$$$$. As for rear frameless glass. Broke the rear hatch the first day I owned a 2003 Expedition, luckily available same day for replacement.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Frameless windows are made for two reasons : COST and weight
Old 11-14-2019, 06:46 PM   #19

Thanks

Thanks to everyone for your input. It was really helpful.
ssjkdavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 03:50 PM   #20

The biggest issue is the frameless window with the tempered more of a common problem of them breaking . weather it's going down the road or just sitting I've seen more broken framless windows then any other . i fact over the last 4 or 5 yrs all broken windows i've seen have been the frameless design . does that mean anything who knows maybe just coincidence .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window