Old 08-01-2011, 03:12 PM   #11
CampeRooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahalen View Post
I have a 2001 Forest River Shamrock hybrid 21'. Over the years, we have had numerous tire blowouts. It has 13" tires and we noticed that newer models all have 14" tires. Visually, it looks like it would be possible to put 14" tires on our trailer. Does anyone know if that has been done?
I did exactly this on my 2000 Roo about 2 years ago. Here's the thread on this with some pics - 2000 Roo M-18 tire/wheel options

Joe

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:08 PM   #12

Thanks for your help! Did you end up using the Kumho tires? How did they work for you?

Old 08-11-2011, 03:34 PM   #13
CampeRooo

Yes, I used the Kumho Radial 857 tires on it and have had zero problems to date. Since I've changed those out, we've put around 10k miles on them and they still look and run excellent. I keep the air pressure at 62psi before each trip to and from our destination and I also keep them covered with the white vinyl looking tire covers that I bought at the local RV store when it's in storage or if we're on an extended stay. If I remember right, I believe that I chose the 185R14's and I mounted them onto 14" 5 spoke HiSpec (HWT) aluminum rims with a high pressure valve stem (the ones with a metal sleeve inside that typically go on the E rated truck tires - 80psi) that I bought separately from the local Firestone dealer.

The only parts that I have not replaced yet are the center covers that cover up the bearing dust cover cap and the lug nuts. I could use some longer lugs for the lug nuts to grab onto, but for now, they are holding just fine and I check the torque on them each time I get ready for a trip. Can't have those flying off while I'm going down the highway.

Oh...good point too - they are D rated.
Here's the specs (meant for reference only) - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....del=Radial+857

Joe

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:06 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

i think if i were replacing the tires on mine and they were 13 in and i could stuff 14's in there i would .
and use the highest ply rating possible .
my flagstaff 832 bhss did not have very good tires on it they allways looked low on air and everyone said hey your tires are low. trailer was plenty under loaded capacity .
with that being said my new sabre 32bhok-6 got the upgraded axles and tires . 6000 lb axles and Radial Tires ST235/80R16 .
thing pulls awsome

Tags
expandable, hybrid, shamrock