Old 09-22-2012, 08:55 PM   #1

To Buy or Not To Buy

We are seriously considering purchasing a Roo 233S from RV Wholesalers. Just wanted to run a few questions past everyone here first though.

1. With everything I have read about the leaking bunk ends, should I totally walk away? I just love the floor design but don't want to invest all of this money into a lemon.

2. We have a 2005 Ford Expedition 4x4. My husband swears it has a towing package but I don't know. If worse case scenario and it doesn't, could we still tow with this?

3. Are there any other trailers with the same floor plan that I have overlooked that we could tow with our vehicle? We have a 14 and 12 year old as well as a ten month old. So space is a premium.

Just trying to take advantage of the time we still have left with our oldest children.

Thanks,
Jennifer

Old 09-22-2012, 09:15 PM   #2

I think the design of these hybrids is just flawed. Many many stories of leaks. Some folks can say theirs have been problem free. Seems to me they can be very fragile and will need tender care.

Check your owners manual for the towing limits on your expedition. I'd think you'd be OK with a weight distributing hitch setup.

There are many TT's that would suit your family. Go on the Forest River website and compare floor plans and specs of the various models - there are many!

Old 09-22-2012, 09:18 PM   #3

I have leaks and wish I would have gotten a TT.

Nights camped in 2011/36, 2012/9, 2013/24, 2014/27; 2015/50 2016: 34
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:23 PM   #4

So, you guys don't recommend Hybrids in general or just the Roo? I like the idea of not giving up floor space for beds but also don't want to be sleeping in moldy, wet beds.

I appreciate all of your honesty and quick replies. I am trying to do the smart thing but since I have been waiting to buy a Roo for years, I am having a hard time thinking another direction. Haha!
Old 09-22-2012, 09:27 PM   #5

I've only owned the Roo, so I can't speak for other hybrids. But with the ages of your kids, you have so many options. We have 5 younger children and need a lot of bed space and had to keep our GVWR in mind since we have a full load in the Suburban. But ultimately it is your choice, and maybe something has changed with the 2013 model? My model is 2011.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:28 PM   #6

In theory, a hybrid shouldn't be any more susceptible to leaks than a pop-up. Maybe less because there is less tent surface area.

I could be a matter of just the brand, or the price point of these things. Your best bet is to visit all the RV forums and get a read of people's experience with the different brands.

There are some that have beds that are little slide out rooms. That may give you the sleeping space you need, but not have the tents to deal with.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:52 PM   #7

We had a used hybrid for 5 years. Bought it when it was 4 years old. Never had a leak in either bunk. We never needed to replace, or patch any part of the tent enclosures. We loved it but recently traded it in for a larger trailer. We miss the tent freling.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #8
Moderators' Assistant

well, i can only say that, in my case, my Roo has had no bunk leak issues, in the nearly 6 years i've owned it.

forums like these, tend to attract those with problems or those looking to buy.

very few happy/satisfied RV owners post about how trouble-free their RV is.
most posts are about something wrong, no matter the type or brand of RV.

i can't attest to the newer Roo/Shamrock line of hybrids but i'm a member of 6 different Hybrid forums and i know many happy and satisfied Roo/Shamrock owners. but they don't post about it.
look at other non-Roo posts on the forum. every FR type and brand has some of their products with problems/issues.

my advice is for you to look at all hybrid brands and decide for yourself.
if you've never had a popup and never dealt with canvas bed ends, DON'T buy a hybrid.
many shoppers like you, are attracted to the amount of space and sleeping room that a hybrid offers, without ever considering the canvas bunk ends.
they end up wanting to sell the hybrid after one season, because they didn't account for the canvas bunk ends.
most hybrid owners are former popup owners and love sleeping under canvas but want more amenities and less setup/takedown time.
we're in that group. we're willing to put up with the few negatives that canvas bunk ends come with.

the #1 question you should be asking yourself about Hybrids is: DO YOU WANT TO SLEEP UNDER CANVAS!
if you don't know or are wishy-washy about it, don't buy a hybrid. forget all the other advantages because you'll end up hating dealing with the canvas.

find a nice Bunkhouse model conventional trailer for your family.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:34 PM   #9

Mind you, I've been posting on this site since before I had issues. I knew the bunk ends could leak, but it was my impression that they could leak due to not packing up the canvas properly, not poor design. I took a crap shoot and now I'm just hoping I can fix the issue before it becomes worse. If I can get my bed fixed with the help of FR, I may love my camper again as I did before it bubbled. And I don't think it's a canvas issue or a matter of never having a pop up previously. I had a pop up, but didn't have leaking or condensation like some Roo's have. :scratching my head:

Old 09-22-2012, 10:38 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Well said Bikendan.

We like the hybrid design because we like the canvas beds. I agree that its not for everyone.

I also will reiterate the point about the number of people you hear from on forums is vastly tilted to those who have issues. In fact, that is how these forums begin. Someone needed help and recognized that there are other people on the internet looking for the same thing. That's cool - we want those who have nowhere else to go to see if they can find some answers here. But the point remains, most of what you have read does not represent the whole population of Roo owners. By the way, we have no leaks in our Shamrock - sister trailer to the Roo. We also owned a Bantam hybrid years ago for a time and had no leaks with that. Just saying.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote