Old 10-27-2014, 09:45 PM   #11
Never had any issues with a tarp. 10 years off and on with a pup. 5 years on a sob htt. First winter with the 23ikss. The fitted covers are also real nice. Never had one but a good friend had theirs eaten by mice last year. They patched it and are using it still. My tarp covers all the way from the spare over the power tongue. I run a (camo) rope and cinch it like a belt. The only thing I'm going to add this year is a couple of tarps to tie over the wheels. (They make overs for those too).

2008 Dodge Durango
2015 Roo 23 ikss
deartruc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:49 PM   #12
Here's why I use a cover:

1. The trailer is cleaner in the spring.
2. It's easier to remove snow from the cover than to remove it from the bare roof.
3. If I missed a seam crack somewhere, I have some extra protection against leaks.
4. My UV damage is reduced by 50% (covered for about 6 months).
5. Some protection against the gravel churned up by my snowblower.

It's obviously not essential, but it is a convenience and comfort.

00buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:30 PM   #13
My thoughts on using the tarp was to hold it away from the trailer by tieing off to the trees and huge rocks I have around so that the tarp acts like more of an umbrella with lots of air flow. Keep it from flapping on the trailer and causing wear marks like was said earlier. Now that I see that I can get a cover for a pretty good price I will probably go that route.
Evereddie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:54 PM   #14
Just a member
Originally Posted by ladun6 View Post
Does anyone not cover?
We let old man winter cover it - with a blanket of snow.
Keith, Lori & the Wild Bunch
TT: 2011 Rockwood 8293RKSS
TV: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 CC 4x4 (ya.. it's got a Hemi
kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 02:32 PM   #15
We have always used a regular tarp on our old 21' Roo and plan to use one on our new 23IKSS. Never had a mold or mildew issue, with the A/C and roof vents sticking up I think there is plenty of air flow. Just be sure not to go too crazy strapping it down, we use straps at the 4 corners and one on each side. Holds in place nicely and allows air to circulate under the tarp.
Old- 2002 21 Roo
New- 2015 Shamrock 23 IKSS
TV- 2010 Nissan Titan CC
wharfrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:21 PM   #16
Old Fella
In Florida, the sun deteriorates the finish and really does a number on the decals, this I know from experience. A cover is significantly less money than replacing decals. We bought a cover for our 2015 Roo in the Camping World sale on Sunday.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Aussiecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 08:39 PM   #17

Im going to order a Cal Mark Cover as soon as my RV comes in. I need exact measurements. We're going to do 3 day weekends about once a month and this Central Florida sun is brutal.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:37 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus
We really wanted to get a cover this year for our new Rockwood but my dealer talked us out of it...he doesn't even sell them in his store.

If they do survive the harsh winds here (and they usually rip to shreds in a year or two), the movement from the winds can do a lot of damage to the RV.

He did suggest covering the wheels, awning, and air conditioner. He, also, said to replace my vent covers with a product called Maxxair as they can survive a hail storm while the factory ones do not. (I researched them and it looks like something I can do myself so that's one of my winter projects.) The Maxxairs are supposed to be as tough as the fan-tastic fan covers and you can leave them cracked open and no water will get in.

And, of course, he said waxing the camper a couple of times a year is not optional. (Our Rockwood is pretty big so I ordered a Porter-Cable variable speed buffer to help out...and it will handy with my other vehicles, too.)

I've read great reviews about this RV, Boat, and Aircraft wax by Pro, anybody else try it? (I'll be trying it out soon.)

Rick & Karen
(Retired USAF, MSgt)
Monument, Colorado
5-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:44 PM   #19
Cal-mark covers are a few more dollars but are warrantied for 6years, custom made for exact fit. Check out their website
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:30 PM   #20
My Adco cover has been through 2 winters and is in great shape, except that I wasn't smart enough to put tennis balls on the gutters the first year. We get some pretty hairy winds here, too.

1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2007)
2012 Roo19 - hybid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote