Old 10-26-2014, 08:29 PM   #1
To cover or not to cover??

We are ending our first year with our 23ikss roo. Sad the year is over but had a blast with it!! It is currently being winterized now and then will be stored in a friends field for the winter. We have seen threads where people recommend and love their covers. Does anyone not cover? We have heard a few people say not to cover bc moisture will find a way in or just that they have had one for 15 years and never covered. Is it necessary and worth the money? We live in nj.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

ladun6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:49 PM   #2
Have the same question and add to it the question of using a tarp instead of a bonafide RV cover.

Evereddie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:15 PM   #3
This probably won't help much but, I just went through the same thing you are doing with mine. I went through comments after comments and talked to people who have camped for awhile as well. I got about 50% of people saying cover it and 50% saying it's not worth it.

Of course, the people that cover it, swear by it, the people who don't believe it's a waste of time and money.

I ended up finding a really good price on a cover so I'm going to cover mine. If at the end of the cover's life I don't feel it's all it is cracked up to be then I'll discontinue using it.

If you do get an RV cover, get something that is breathable, I think an actual RV cover is better than just a plain tarp.

Good luck!
2012 Keystone Sprinter
Still sticking around for the good people and advice.
Flagstaffer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:22 PM   #4
My preference is to cover. I use the camo tarp sold at Oceanstate or Harbor Freight. When I didn't cover, the spring cleaning took a lot longer. But, I do live in the woods, so I'm not sure how being in the wide open might not leave so much tree debris. I also bought the $3 7x11ft tarps to put over the tires to keep them protected. PS, don't pull the tarp so tight that the weight of the snow is being held up by your a/c and whatever else sticks up from your roof.
2008 Dodge Durango
2015 Roo 23 ikss
deartruc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:24 PM   #5
I never cover it. A tarp will blow and move in the wind. Will do more damage to the paint and finish than leaving it uncovered. Maybe a breathable works but a tarp will also subject everything to mildew under the cover. I have to cover my boat but have to cleanup the black mildew every spring. At least the boat has an a frame to tent the tarp and not subjecting the paint to rub marks from a tarp that will always move in the wind.
Orval and Yvonne
2016 Flagstaff 27RLWS Emerald Package
2011 F150 SCrew XTR 5.0L 4x4
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:26 PM   #6
P.S.S The camo cover also does double duty. Right now its over 2 10x10 canopy frames for the Haunted Halloween tunnel I pull the lawn tractor trailer loaded with hay and kids thru.
2008 Dodge Durango
2015 Roo 23 ikss
deartruc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:09 AM   #7
Originally Posted by ladun6 View Post
Is it necessary and worth the money? We live in nj.
I don't know that it would be necessary, but I would say worth it. Our Classic cover for our 23IKSS was about $300, which is not a huge investment compared to the cost of the trailer. I wouldn't recommend a tarp - rv covers are breathable and fitted. You don't want moisture trapped under there and you don't want the cover flapping in the wind.

In this climate, the trailer spends 6 months sitting winterized and sun and weather are what really deteriorate a trailer's appearance. I like washing it before putting the cover on and then pulling it out the spring still nice and clean. I really wish I had a garage to keep it in, but I don't, so the cover is the next best thing.

The Roo last winter. Going to add tires covers and cover over the tongue jack this year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roo cover.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	65402  

2005 F-150 FX4
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:32 PM   #8
Moderators' Assistant
Don't use a tarp! Unless you want mold/mildew all over the roof of your trailer.
Don't ask me how I know.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:42 PM   #9
Last yr was the first time i ever covered my htt. Opened in the spring and it was as clean as the day i covered it. I also feel it helps shed some if the water off htt. The less water on roof frozen, the better!
2006 Roo 23B hybrid

1999 Chevy Silverado Ext cab 4.8L with tow package
Rrickim63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:19 PM   #10
Hi I just bought the same 2015 trailer I did buy a 20-21ft cover that is the right size when measured I put it on to make sure my measurement was right n it was it's the adco designer series 20.1-22ft looks like a real nice cover I think the way this cover breaths won't let moisture in lots of air vents plus it good I think to keep as much snow n ice from working its way in places you don't want got mine on eBay free s/h for like $220 a lot cheaper than a dealer enjoy joe

travelguy is offline   Reply With Quote