Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2014, 08:29 PM   #1

To cover or not to cover??

We are ending our first year with our 23ikss roo. Sad the year is over but had a blast with it!! It is currently being winterized now and then will be stored in a friends field for the winter. We have seen threads where people recommend and love their covers. Does anyone not cover? We have heard a few people say not to cover bc moisture will find a way in or just that they have had one for 15 years and never covered. Is it necessary and worth the money? We live in nj.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
ladun6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:49 PM   #2

Have the same question and add to it the question of using a tarp instead of a bonafide RV cover.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:15 PM   #3

This probably won't help much but, I just went through the same thing you are doing with mine. I went through comments after comments and talked to people who have camped for awhile as well. I got about 50% of people saying cover it and 50% saying it's not worth it.

Of course, the people that cover it, swear by it, the people who don't believe it's a waste of time and money.

I ended up finding a really good price on a cover so I'm going to cover mine. If at the end of the cover's life I don't feel it's all it is cracked up to be then I'll discontinue using it.

If you do get an RV cover, get something that is breathable, I think an actual RV cover is better than just a plain tarp.

Good luck!
Old 10-26-2014, 09:22 PM   #4

My preference is to cover. I use the camo tarp sold at Oceanstate or Harbor Freight. When I didn't cover, the spring cleaning took a lot longer. But, I do live in the woods, so I'm not sure how being in the wide open might not leave so much tree debris. I also bought the $3 7x11ft tarps to put over the tires to keep them protected. PS, don't pull the tarp so tight that the weight of the snow is being held up by your a/c and whatever else sticks up from your roof.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:24 PM   #5

I never cover it. A tarp will blow and move in the wind. Will do more damage to the paint and finish than leaving it uncovered. Maybe a breathable works but a tarp will also subject everything to mildew under the cover. I have to cover my boat but have to cleanup the black mildew every spring. At least the boat has an a frame to tent the tarp and not subjecting the paint to rub marks from a tarp that will always move in the wind.
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:26 PM   #6

P.S.S The camo cover also does double duty. Right now its over 2 10x10 canopy frames for the Haunted Halloween tunnel I pull the lawn tractor trailer loaded with hay and kids thru.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladun6 View Post
Is it necessary and worth the money? We live in nj.
I don't know that it would be necessary, but I would say worth it. Our Classic cover for our 23IKSS was about $300, which is not a huge investment compared to the cost of the trailer. I wouldn't recommend a tarp - rv covers are breathable and fitted. You don't want moisture trapped under there and you don't want the cover flapping in the wind.

In this climate, the trailer spends 6 months sitting winterized and sun and weather are what really deteriorate a trailer's appearance. I like washing it before putting the cover on and then pulling it out the spring still nice and clean. I really wish I had a garage to keep it in, but I don't, so the cover is the next best thing.

The Roo last winter. Going to add tires covers and cover over the tongue jack this year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roo cover.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	65402  

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:32 PM   #8
Site Team

Don't use a tarp! Unless you want mold/mildew all over the roof of your trailer.
Don't ask me how I know.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:42 PM   #9

Last yr was the first time i ever covered my htt. Opened in the spring and it was as clean as the day i covered it. I also feel it helps shed some if the water off htt. The less water on roof frozen, the better!

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:19 PM   #10

Hi I just bought the same 2015 trailer I did buy a 20-21ft cover that is the right size when measured I put it on to make sure my measurement was right n it was it's the adco designer series 20.1-22ft looks like a real nice cover I think the way this cover breaths won't let moisture in lots of air vents plus it good I think to keep as much snow n ice from working its way in places you don't want got mine on eBay free s/h for like $220 a lot cheaper than a dealer enjoy joe
travelguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:45 PM   #11

Never had any issues with a tarp. 10 years off and on with a pup. 5 years on a sob htt. First winter with the 23ikss. The fitted covers are also real nice. Never had one but a good friend had theirs eaten by mice last year. They patched it and are using it still. My tarp covers all the way from the spare over the power tongue. I run a (camo) rope and cinch it like a belt. The only thing I'm going to add this year is a couple of tarps to tie over the wheels. (They make overs for those too).
Old 10-27-2014, 09:49 PM   #12

Here's why I use a cover:

1. The trailer is cleaner in the spring.
2. It's easier to remove snow from the cover than to remove it from the bare roof.
3. If I missed a seam crack somewhere, I have some extra protection against leaks.
4. My UV damage is reduced by 50% (covered for about 6 months).
5. Some protection against the gravel churned up by my snowblower.

It's obviously not essential, but it is a convenience and comfort.
00buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:30 PM   #13

My thoughts on using the tarp was to hold it away from the trailer by tieing off to the trees and huge rocks I have around so that the tarp acts like more of an umbrella with lots of air flow. Keep it from flapping on the trailer and causing wear marks like was said earlier. Now that I see that I can get a cover for a pretty good price I will probably go that route.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:54 PM   #14
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladun6 View Post
Does anyone not cover?
We let old man winter cover it - with a blanket of snow.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 02:32 PM   #15

We have always used a regular tarp on our old 21' Roo and plan to use one on our new 23IKSS. Never had a mold or mildew issue, with the A/C and roof vents sticking up I think there is plenty of air flow. Just be sure not to go too crazy strapping it down, we use straps at the 4 corners and one on each side. Holds in place nicely and allows air to circulate under the tarp.
wharfrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:21 PM   #16
Old Fella

In Florida, the sun deteriorates the finish and really does a number on the decals, this I know from experience. A cover is significantly less money than replacing decals. We bought a cover for our 2015 Roo in the Camping World sale on Sunday.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Aussiecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 08:39 PM   #17

cover

Im going to order a Cal Mark Cover as soon as my RV comes in. I need exact measurements. We're going to do 3 day weekends about once a month and this Central Florida sun is brutal.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:37 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

We really wanted to get a cover this year for our new Rockwood but my dealer talked us out of it...he doesn't even sell them in his store.

If they do survive the harsh winds here (and they usually rip to shreds in a year or two), the movement from the winds can do a lot of damage to the RV.

He did suggest covering the wheels, awning, and air conditioner. He, also, said to replace my vent covers with a product called Maxxair as they can survive a hail storm while the factory ones do not. (I researched them and it looks like something I can do myself so that's one of my winter projects.) The Maxxairs are supposed to be as tough as the fan-tastic fan covers and you can leave them cracked open and no water will get in.

And, of course, he said waxing the camper a couple of times a year is not optional. (Our Rockwood is pretty big so I ordered a Porter-Cable variable speed buffer to help out...and it will handy with my other vehicles, too.)

I've read great reviews about this RV, Boat, and Aircraft wax by Pro, anybody else try it? (I'll be trying it out soon.)

8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:44 PM   #19

Cal-mark covers are a few more dollars but are warrantied for 6years, custom made for exact fit. Check out their website www.calmarkcovers.com
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:30 PM   #20

My Adco cover has been through 2 winters and is in great shape, except that I wasn't smart enough to put tennis balls on the gutters the first year. We get some pretty hairy winds here, too.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover