Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2013, 11:21 PM   #1

Question to roo or not to roo

Hi, We are considering buying a new Roo, but after reading some comments about leak problems I am now a little scared. Has FR addressed these problems? What is your advice about choosing a Hybrid over an enclosed trailer?
smil288115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:44 AM   #2

I can not tell you what to do, you have obviously heard some good and some bad about an expandable trailer. My Roo is on order so I can not comment on the leak issues but it is not every Roo that leaks, you usually only hear the bad side of things. Many owners praise the Roo. Also, I believe it was 2011 or 2012 when Forest River changed the style of the tent ends by enclosing the fabric within the door, meaning you do not have to pull the fabric over the door like you used to.

I chose the Roo because I wanted maximum sleep area without worrying about using the dinette or sofa, and because I did not want a bunkhouse. I do a lot of family camping and plan to let family members sleep in the third bed, possibly the second bed as well and put my 3 year old on the sofa if need be. This was an important thing for me to have 3 full size beds.

The next reason was because I did not want a super long trailer. Living in the Great Northwest, there are many opportunities to utilize public land but you have to navigate unpaved and narrow roads to get there. This would be a problem with a long trailer, and it is pushing it with my 24' Roo that is on order.

So it kind of boils down to how you plan to use it, how many beds you need, how light of a trailer you need which may be a non issue as there are many ultralight enclosed trailers, and finally if you have experience with tent ends. Sometimes they can be a pain and there may be a little more to setting up camp but after using a tent trailer the last few years, I am going to welcome being able to not have to crank up the roof before I can pack the trailer.

Hope this helps some!
Grizzlygibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:02 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by smil288115 View Post
Hi, We are considering buying a new Roo, but after reading some comments about leak problems I am now a little scared. Has FR addressed these problems? What is your advice about choosing a Hybrid over an enclosed trailer?
considering that FR sells thousands of hybrids, reading a few comments about leaks is a drop in the bucket, compared to those who don't have leak problems, me being one of those.
rarely do hybrid owners start threads on a forum like:
"Hey, i have a hybrid and have absolutely NO leaks! Please post if you have no problems also!"
Forums like these, usually attract new owners, those looking to become owners and those with problems.
rarely do RV owners with no problems, post that on a forum like this.

that said, my advice about choosing a hybrid or TT is this:
don't buy a hybrid unless you love sleeping under canvas. many new hybrid owners buy them because of the sleeping capacity or that you can get a very roomy trailer in a shorter package.
not once did they consider the canvas and what that's like to deal with.
you have to love the canvas to be willing to deal with the few negatives that come with it.
most hybrid owners are former popup owners. they want more amenities but still want the experience of sleeping under canvas.
for us, it makes it feel like we're still really "camping" instead of RV'ing.
plus we hate the "shoebox" feel of a regular TT, compared to the openness of a hybrid.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:08 AM   #4

Yes that is true and a valid point. I don't mind "camping" under canvas, since I am also a former popup user. Sometimes you hear more outside, but I really do not mind.
Grizzlygibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:15 AM   #5

Smile

Thanks for the advice! We, too, have been tent trailer campers for many years, so sleeping under the canvas is part of the experience for us. Thanks for helping to calm my anxiety about the hybrids, as that is really the route we are wanting to go.
smil288115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:39 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I posted something similar about a year ago, but it applies to your concerns today so here it is again.

We are happy with our 2012 233s

As background, I've owned a few trailers used and this was our first new unit. Our 233s has been fine - leak free and nothing major (knock on wood). It's great for my family of five.

As Dan noted, many come here for help with problems. I also have yet to read a thread that begins with "Hi, my camper is better than expected and all is fine with the world. Have a nice day!"

It just doesn't happen because the vast majority of campers (including me several years ago) were just happy to camp and not spend time on a forum like ours. Some owners have had issues, though, and these issues can be found in any type of RV or camper and any brand. Some of their problems have been nightmares even and I feel badly for them. Truly. But trust me that most units are fine.

Not to say we haven't experienced problems - a wonky radio that took 14 months to fix, a tear in a cushion and delays in replacing it b/c they discontinued that fabric, that kind of thing. All has been eventually handled under warranty. No worries.

Expectations are another issue. People expect the same quality from their camper as with a new car. Ain't going to happen for any number of reasons. Its more like owning a boat, and like a boat, you will love it but know there are some issues you will have to deal with. Nature of the beast whether it's a $100,000 MH or an $18,000 hybrid.

Bottom line is the hybrid offers us a lot of interior space in a short towing unit and the ability to still sleep under canvas, which we love.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:43 AM   #7

Rockwood reengineered the bunk end doors 2 years ago to solve the leak issues.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:07 AM   #8

FR also makes a couple floor plans with a hard sided rear slide, have you looked at that? I love our Roo25RS. We still get the open feeling because the king size bed is out of the way and we don't have to deal with the canvas.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:45 AM   #9

Prior to buying an a real truck we looked relentlesly for a Hybrid that could be handled by the SUV we had at the time. Many Many positives to a hybrid to me. Loved the Roo's. Easy to handle, all the features of a full hardsides, some with slides...all with great living spaces.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:01 PM   #10

It's like anything you buy, most are perfect, some not so much.
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:39 PM   #11

In Nov. we purchased a FR Shamrock21ss.It was our desire to feel like we were still camping,and still had the slide out which gave us great room inside,and still be able to tow it with my Ford Sporttrac,Didn't want to have to buy a new truck just to go RVing.Its cozy and plenty big for what we want.When i go camping,i dont want to feel like im still in the house.
Rcandvicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:21 AM   #12

We have a 2011 233S and guess what.. no leaks and we love it. The one time it leaked it was my fault as the canvas was not tucked away properly. Technically it is not canvas either. I grew up tent camping and in a 1972 Jayco Jay King pop up. My folks took us and that pop up all over North America. I bought a pop up, a Coleman, big mistake and thought I wanted a real TT and moved up to a 31 footer. Guess what, I missed the sounds and smells of camping that a tent or pop up brings. We now have a hybrid and we are pleased.

Triguy, is right on so many things but his boat analogy is only accurate so far. Unlike the RV industry, boat manufacturers like Grady White stand behind their products and dealers. I have had a problem here and there with my Grady and the company solved them without hassle to me or my bank account. The marine industry is light years ahead of the RV industry when it comes to companies standing behind their products. In the end I would buy another Roo.
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #13

Leaks on Bubk Ends

We have a 2013 Roo and have never had an issue with leaks. In all honesty I think the problem is with how you close the ends that causes the leaks. You have to take your time and make sure you don't have any canvas stuck inside the seals. Obviously if you have something stuck somewhere it is not going to cloe tighly and you probably will get a leak. Just take some extra time and I think you will be fine!
dec1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #14

We have a 2013 23ss and haven't had any type of leaks yet. It has been in 3 major storms while camping and 5 more while sitting in storage... I agree with take your time and pay attention when closing the beds. My friend just closes the doors on his and doesn't worry about his canvas. Guess what his leaked.
keven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #15

Please don't assume all of us in the "leaky Roo group" don't take care of our Roo's or don't take the time to fold ours up correctly. I am meticulous when closing up our Roo and still had a leak. I close mine up in a way that the canvas I have to move to shut the door is minimal. If this was a user error, why is FR covering the replacement of doors, seals, decals, and the cost of labor?
Previously:
Old 02-17-2013, 08:24 PM   #16

I am not saying that's the cause of the leaks at all. With my buddy I think that's the cause of his. You will actually see the canvas hanging out past the seal and door.
keven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:08 PM   #17

I was speaking in general, not to anyone specific. I see this said so many times and I guess it's easy to say when it's not your camper leaking.
Previously:
Old 02-17-2013, 09:36 PM   #18

One thing I noticed on my 21ss which is almost identical ,is that if you pull the bed off and store it by the stove,it takes a lot of weight off the area,which my help maintain a better seal.just a thought.Sure makes it easier to close too.
Rcandvicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:13 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy View Post
Rockwood reengineered the bunk end doors 2 years ago to solve the leak issues.
I must have missed that memo 'cause I have a 2010 with a water damaged bunk I still like the product, though. Better Engineering on the sealing process and we're good. Remember where the hybrid bunk was when it first came out? Already 100 times better but always room for improvment.
Sbousquet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:07 AM   #20

We bought our 2012 23SS and have been very happy with it.

My buddy & I each ordered the same model, same options at the same time from the same dealer.........his bunk ends leaked, mine did not. Why....who knows.

FR replaced his bunk canvas.....and from the countless threads on this forum on the subject, it appears that FR is generally looking after their customers.

I wouldn't let let this dissuade me from buying a new Roo.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote