Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2014, 10:37 PM   #1

Toilet issue

Just finished de-winterizing our new Roo 21ssL and testing systems for upcoming camping trip in 3 weeks. Well among a few problems is this toilet issue...the toilet "ball" or flap that opens when you flush does not seal up against the rubber seal so that you can have a bit of water sitting in the bowl as you should. There is a gap between the flap and the rubber seal so all the water just runs into the black tank. I'm trying to get an appointment time at our dealer(as this is under full warranty) but this is their "busy season" and they may not be able to get to it before our trip...I'm currently arguing with them about this. Anyway, is there an easy fix for this problem that a non-RV tech can handle or is it pretty involved? Thanks

2014 Roo 21ssL...towed by 2015 Ram Power Wagon
RACKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:59 PM   #2

Years ago I had this problem with our toilet not holding water.

Easiest way to is to make sure the flap/ball is seating properly with the rubber is to get your hands(fingers) dirty and with the flap/ball open rub yours fingers all around the rubber seal and make sure there is no debris attached to the rubber seal or the the flap/ball. These parts should be smooth with no rough parts or burrs.

If you can, try and see where the water is escaping, feel around that area for nicks or debris.

This would be the simplest and easiest fix, hopefully this is all it is.

On a side note did you use a good RV antifreeze? Rubber doesn't care much for alcohol or methanol and will slowly disintegrate.

John
Rupkin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 03:59 AM   #3

what Rupkin is about all I know of what can be done. Did you leave some anti freeze in the bowl over the winter? If not it could have dried out only, try spraying some lub on it for rubber. might come back try that 303 stuff. good luck. Also is your pedal coming all the way back up? check that to.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:36 AM   #4

Toilet issue

This is brand new...never used. It was winterized by forest river or the dealer. I just de -winterized it. I'm sure they used the proper antifreeze so that's not the issue. And it is no a little burr or nick in the rubber gasket. There is an actual GAP between the seal and flap that us about 1/4" wide on one side.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:43 AM   #5
Mod free 5er

Propose to the dealer that he order or obtain a new toilet and let you replace it. OR, just call the mfg yourself, explain the situation and ask them for some assistance. It let's the dealer off the hook, but bottom line, you would get to use the camper.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKMAN View Post
This is brand new...never used. It was winterized by forest river or the dealer. I just de -winterized it. I'm sure they used the proper antifreeze so that's not the issue. And it is no a little burr or nick in the rubber gasket. There is an actual GAP between the seal and flap that us about 1/4" wide on one side.
What model toilet is it?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:56 AM   #7

OK, I,m grasping at straws here. Don't want to ruin a camping trip due to a simple issue.

1-check the groves that the flap rides along, possibly there is a small wood chip in there. Like I said, I'm grasping at straws.

2-As gljurczyk mentioned is the pedal coming all the way back?, with your hand pull the pedal up and see if the flap closes properly and holds water. If this does work, it may be a minor inconvience but atleast you can go camping peacefully then youcan get it fixed when you come back.

Question here, when the flap is supposedly closed, does the water stop running or does it continously run in the bowl?

John
Old 06-21-2014, 09:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Could be the gasket was upset from its seat causing that bulge. May be able to work in in 360 and see if you can get the grove around the bowl edge opeing. Pull to the center and push out again all the way around.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:09 AM   #9

Toilet issue

Call Diane at Dometic directly, explain the situation, and ask for a new gasket. Or if your dealer can get one, it should only be a very small fee. You can replace it in about 5 minutes.

http://www.dometicsanitation.com/QBa...-Seal_6412.pdf

This link suggest you rub a little petroleum jelly or silicone grease to freshen the seal. I would opt for silicone grease.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s, PI HW30-C, Equalizer 10k 4 way hitch,
Grizzlygibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 01:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupkin2 View Post
OK, I,m grasping at straws here. Don't want to ruin a camping trip due to a simple issue.

1-check the groves that the flap rides along, possibly there is a small wood chip in there. Like I said, I'm grasping at straws.

2-As gljurczyk mentioned is the pedal coming all the way back?, with your hand pull the pedal up and see if the flap closes properly and holds water. If this does work, it may be a minor inconvience but atleast you can go camping peacefully then youcan get it fixed when you come back.

Question here, when the flap is supposedly closed, does the water stop running or does it continously run in the bowl?

John

Thanks , will try your suggestions. No water runs unless I push the pedal down or partially push the pedal down. Water is functioning as it should. The 1/4" gap between the flapper and rubber gasket just let's the water drain as fast as it enters the bowl. Like I said, the gap is only on one side so maybe there is something in that side track for the flapper. Will try to find out. Dealer called back and said they will fit me in...wow, guess I should knee down and thank them.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:11 PM   #11

Don't forget to tell us your findings about the toilet.
Tell us about your camping trip also.

John
Old 06-24-2014, 11:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupkin2 View Post
Don't forget to tell us your findings about the toilet.
Tell us about your camping trip also.

John
Well as it turns out the toilet issue was VERY minor...after calming myself down from the frustration of trying to book my unit in for the warranty repairs that are rightfully mine, I took another look at the toilet. I looked closely at the flap mechanism and notice that one of the "arms" had popped out of it's indexing hole in the side of the downtube...not sure of my terminology here, but it was a simple fix. I just popped the arm back in the indexing hole and it works properly now. Yay! Now I just have to have the dealer fix our other issue which is definitely a problem. This unit must not have been winterized properly by Forest River or our dealer as the water pump has a hairline crack in the head and will leak when it runs. So the unit is booked for that, but I'm temped to see if they will just give me a new pump for me to install myself and save them shop time for their busy season. What do people think of that idea? Or should I make them do the work since I'm entitled to it? I'd rather keep the unit at home instead of dragging it down to the dealer for a simple pump swap out...but maybe they wouldn't even offer me that option anyway???

Old 06-25-2014, 03:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Well as it turns out the toilet issue was VERY minor...after calming myself down from the frustration of trying to book my unit in for the warranty repairs that are rightfully mine, I took another look at the toilet. I looked closely at the flap mechanism and notice that one of the "arms" had popped out of it's indexing hole in the side of the downtube...not sure of my terminology here, but it was a simple fix. I just popped the arm back in the indexing hole and it works properly now. Yay! Now I just have to have the dealer fix our other issue which is definitely a problem. This unit must not have been winterized properly by Forest River or our dealer as the water pump has a hairline crack in the head and will leak when it runs. So the unit is booked for that, but I'm temped to see if they will just give me a new pump for me to install myself and save them shop time for their busy season. What do people think of that idea? Or should I make them do the work since I'm entitled to it? I'd rather keep the unit at home instead of dragging it down to the dealer for a simple pump swap out...but maybe they wouldn't even offer me that option anyway???
I know when my unit was in warranty, I called the dealer sent a picture and had them send me the part to put in most of the time. They did require me to send them back the part I removed. You would be better off. Anytime you take a unit in it will sit there for weeks before they get to it. It would take you maybe an hr. to install yourself nothing to them at all. I would think that most dealers would do that they would rather prep units for sale then repair them. Most dealers only have 1 person trained at the factory. When I had my JT's installed they had to read the instructions and still installed it wrong, I watched them do it. I was amazed that they didn't know how to do it. Most dealers have a very high rate of turn overs do to the monies they pay people. When I know more about a repair then they do that is a problem. I would call and have them send you a pump. This is the time you want to use your unit not leave it in a shop sitting there. by the way glad you got your toilet working again. If your handy most stuff is pretty easy to repair or replace.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:49 PM   #14

Quote:
I'm temped to see if they will just give me a new pump for me to install myself and save them shop time for their busy season. What do people think of that idea?
My only concern would be: Will they still warrant the NEW one if you installed it? I'd ask them that question.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote