Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2012, 11:49 AM   #1

Tongue length

Short story: My municipality by-laws allows me to park a Large RV on my driveway if it can fit within the property boundaries (excluding tongue).

I am looking at the 2012 Rockwood Roo 233s.

Can anyone tell me the dimension from the back bumper of the unit to the front excluding the tongue?

Just for the heck of it what is the length excluding tongue and bumper (the bumper & spare would fit under my roof overhang)?

2020 Salem Cruise Lite 241QBXL
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn Eco-Diesel
Previous Trailer -> 2012 Rockwood Roo 233s
-> 1996 Jayco 1207
Barney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I'd have to measure mine to get the exact measurements you are looking for.

How much space do you have?

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:10 PM   #3

If you could measure that would be very much appreciated.

It will be real tight. I have about 19' 10" (maybe 19' 11")>

I am hoping the tongue is 4' or more.

Our Roo 233s is on order, I just want to have the numbers in hand if the by-law officer makes a visit.

-> 1996 Jayco 1207
Old 02-27-2012, 01:59 PM   #4

@ the mods
Sorry for posting in the wrong spot - I will blame that on my newbie status.

I see you have moved my post - that is fine it is your forum

I am just not sure it is in the correct spot. My Rockwood Roo 233s is not a "5th wheel" it is an "Expandable/Hybrid". That said would it not make more sense to put my post under

Forest River Forums > Expandables > Expandable and Hybrid RV Discussions > Roo

-> 1996 Jayco 1207
Old 02-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #5
Flagstaff 625D Popup

I hate to say it, but I bet the tongue is only about 3 feet.

I don't know why they would exclude the tongue ? It's not like you can have the tongue hanging out on the sidewalk or in the street.

Bean
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean View Post
I hate to say it, but I bet the tongue is only about 3 feet.

I don't know why they would exclude the tongue ? It's not like you can have the tongue hanging out on the sidewalk or in the street.

Bean
Yeah that seemed strange to me at first but what the by-law is trying to do is make the tall part of the RV to fit completely in the home owner's property. You must remember the city actually owns a part of your front lawn (and driveway).

This is part of the road allowance. In my city there is about 16.5 feet from the curb to the front property line. This is the area where the water, gas, cable, and telephone lines are run underground.

So what they are saying is that the tongue can hang over into the city owned portion of your driveway (or road allowance) but not the trailer proper.

During a long walk with my dog the other night, I notice about 7 or 8 people in may neighbourhood in violation of this by-law.

-> 1996 Jayco 1207
Old 02-27-2012, 10:48 PM   #7

2012 Rockwood Roo 233S Hybrid Camper by Forest River Stock# 116669 Inventory - The Original RVWholesalers

According to these specs it is 23.75'. Knock off 3' feet for the tongue your at 20.75'.

I hope this helps.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:23 PM   #8

If the Property Owners watchdog shows up it don't make any difference what the length of the trailer is they will be on you.......So glad I moved to the country
imabmwnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:41 AM   #9
Drinkin beer on the beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by imabmwnut View Post
If the Property Owners watchdog shows up it don't make any difference what the length of the trailer is they will be on you.......So glad I moved to the country
Yep, its not code enforcement officers driving around with nothing else to do, its the local busybody...

It helps to find out who it is, and And asking for permission, or at least their opinion goes a long ways.

So glad I moved out to the sticks, too.
Rod Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:21 AM   #10
Site Team

Each city or town is different. At my house it turns out the first 9 ft in from the curb is the city line and no part of my RV can be on the sidewalk that we don't have nor can it be in the city 9 ft line part. If the RV weights 10,000 lbs it can't be in the front lawn either and also must be another 20 ft back from the 9 ft mark as well.

I decided to double check with the city and got the green light from Code Enforcement only to get a red light from Planning. A couple of days later Code Enforcement got Planning unconfused. And I got the green light from both departments once I went down and verify where I wanted the RV parked.

You may wish to double check about the tongue/a-frame being excluded.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:24 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney1 View Post
Short story: My municipality by-laws allows me to park a Large RV on my driveway if it can fit within the property boundaries (excluding tongue).

Can anyone tell me the dimension from the back bumper of the unit to the front excluding the tongue?

Just for the heck of it what is the length excluding tongue and bumper (the bumper & spare would fit under my roof overhang)?
You might be able to loose a little by removing the spare while parked. Are you able to park the RV at a slight angle instead of straight?

Old 02-28-2012, 07:27 AM   #12

@jonnys_walker
Thanks I have seen these specs in fact I ordered my Roo through RVW. What I want to know is, 'Is the tongue, in fact, 3 feet?'. My old Jayco PUP had a 4' tongue.

@Imabmwnut & Rod Johnson
Yes I realize that it is the busy bodies and the window monitors that call in the by-law officers. I can not think of anyone in specific that would complain. I am trying to be prepared. If someone blows the whistle on me I may blow the whistle on all the illegal driveway widths, illegal AC units in the front yard, commercial vehicle parked on residential lots, the list goes on. I could play hardball too.

@terier
Glad too hear you got your parking cleared.
removing the Spare will not help that will already fit under my roof overhang the Trailer body will touch the eaves trough before the spare touches the garage door. Parking on an angle may work - I will brush up on my Pythagorean Theorem to calculate the hypotenuse given my driveway width and lenght.

Now my short story becomes longer. The by-laws in my town are difficult to navigate. The city I am in recently annexed a number of smaller towns around it. The city has since been trying to harmonize the by-laws over the whole new larger city. But it is being done slowly with portions of the old towns by-laws being kept as local exceptions. The old town I was in did have the tongue exclusion in the by-law, and from what I can read it is still there.
Oh, by the way, the by-law states I can only park an RV on my property between May 1st and October 31st(Camping season in the Great White North) and only if it is within the property lines (tongue excluded).

This is why a still am trying to find the exact tongue length of the Rockwood Roo 233S. If the tongue lenth is 3' 10" I am golden if it is less I have to raise the roof on my garage.

-> 1996 Jayco 1207
Old 03-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Barney - sorry for the delay. I had meant to go out for these measurements but the weather hasn't really cooperated. Here's what I can recall. I suggest you ask your dealer to verify everything.

The box, not including bumper, spare or tongue, is slightly less than 20'.
The length from the back of the trailer to the spare is 16".
The Tongue is 4'.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:31 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
@jonnys_walker
Thanks I have seen these specs in fact I ordered my Roo through RVW. What I want to know is, 'Is the tongue, in fact, 3 feet?'. My old Jayco PUP had a 4' tongue.

@Imabmwnut & Rod Johnson
Yes I realize that it is the busy bodies and the window monitors that call in the by-law officers. I can not think of anyone in specific that would complain.I am trying to be prepared. If someone blows the whistle on me I may blow the whistle on all the illegal driveway widths, illegal AC units in the front yard, commercial vehicle parked on residential lots, the list goes on. I could play hardball too.

@terier
Glad too hear you got your parking cleared.
removing the Spare will not help that will already fit under my roof overhang the Trailer body will touch the eaves trough before the spare touches the garage door. Parking on an angle may work - I will brush up on my Pythagorean Theorem to calculate the hypotenuse given my driveway width and lenght.

Now my short story becomes longer. The by-laws in my town are difficult to navigate. The city I am in recently annexed a number of smaller towns around it. The city has since been trying to harmonize the by-laws over the whole new larger city. But it is being done slowly with portions of the old towns by-laws being kept as local exceptions. The old town I was in did have the tongue exclusion in the by-law, and from what I can read it is still there.
Oh, by the way, the by-law states I can only park an RV on my property between May 1st and October 31st(Camping season in the Great White North) and only if it is within the property lines (tongue excluded).

This is why a still am trying to find the exact tongue length of the Rockwood Roo 233S. If the tongue lenth is 3' 10" I am golden if it is less I have to raise the roof on my garage.

If someone in your area got nailed by the city they may make sure everyone get nailed for it too.

"Pythagorean Theorem" whatever this is (funny math?) sounds like I could use it too. I'm trying to determine if there's enough room or to park my TT at a angle but I can't figure out the square footage. Space and cost are two important factors. My city will only allow concrete on the east side of the driveway and not on the west side.

I'm trying to figure out if backing in at a slant or angle would be easier coming in from the street.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
@ the mods
Sorry for posting in the wrong spot - I will blame that on my newbie status.

I see you have moved my post - that is fine it is your forum

I am just not sure it is in the correct spot. My Rockwood Roo 233s is not a "5th wheel" it is an "Expandable/Hybrid". That said would it not make more sense to put my post under

Forest River Forums > Expandables > Expandable and Hybrid RV Discussions > Roo
Agree and moved.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:57 AM   #16

Just for completeness sake the answer to my question in my OP.

The lengths of the 2012 Rockwood Roo are:
Bumper to Tongue 24' 9"
Box length (excluding bumper and tongue) 21'

This is longer than what will fit fully on my property so let's hope no one complains to the by-law officer.
Actually the fact it has two axles means I can't store it on my property but we won't tell the neighbours about that will we.

-> 1996 Jayco 1207