Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2011, 09:59 PM   #1

towed the Roo across town...EASY

This is for all NOOBs here... I had to take the Roo to our boondock rv shop. I did not have the WDH hitch on, no sway control...just naked towing. I towed it with my Tundra at highway speeds and man was it easy peasy lemon squeezy. No sway, no issues.
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:38 PM   #2

wish I could say that for mine LOL

Glad it towed well for you
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:55 PM   #3
Site Team

Bob, are they going to be fixing those issues you had from the delivery?
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:10 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Read this post: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ind-11238.html

You can never beat luck, but you can only cheat the odds so many times before loosing.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:20 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
You can never beat luck, but you can only cheat the odds so many times before loosing.
Amen.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:24 AM   #6

"You can never beat luck, but you can only cheat the odds so many times before loosing. "

X3
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:03 PM   #7

Well, don't know how to write this...on one hand I appreciate the safety tips, I really do. Some may not know but I really do appreciate it, but last summer my wife and 3 kids were involved in a towing accident on I 75 near Valdosta, Ga. Our camper was totaled and she and my 3 kids are fortunate to be alive. I need not read threads on what can happen, unfortunately we experienced an accident ourselves and I m very lucky I have my family alive.

I don't go camping but a few times a year. However, I tow my boat hundreds if not thousands of miles a year between local lake trips, fishing in Fla or off the Carolina coasts. Am I an expert, I don't know, am I concerned about safety of my family and others on the road? You bet.

I posted a note on a thread about carrying bikes on the front of the tow vehicle and a few folks jumped on me because I was concerned about the bikes implying I could care less about life. I post here making an observation how well the Roo towed across town without my WDH installed yet and yet another "safety" smack down...sometimes folks assume too much, just sayn...

For what it is worth...the accident in August was not our fault. Even with all the safety gear, crap still happens.

Most of the driving from my home to the RV repair and supply shop is 35mph, but I had 7 mile stretch on US 74 where I could do 55. I am not advocating towing a long distance without a WDH, I was simply saying I towed it across town and she handled well inspite of not having the WDH hitch on. I took the trailer with me because the dealer thought it a good idea to have a technician check it out. I didn't have the saddles so I drove it over to get the saddles, stupid me I left the saddles on the wrecked camper...$120 later I have new Reese saddles..ugh.

Bikendan, I told the dealer I would tow it to see if tracked poorly or had any other handeling issues. It did not. I am likely to keep it. No leaks were detected during the recent rains, I can not find any damage at all inside, topside on the roof or underside. I can lawyer up, but why?
Old 03-12-2011, 10:14 PM   #8

Personally, I would be VERY concerned if my camper did not pull flawlessly under ideal conditions. All of the gear and gizmos are for the non-ideal driving conditions. If a camper bucks and sways all by itself, there is something wrong with it.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:20 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

You said it best: "For what it is worth...the accident in August was not our fault."

You may not need the stuff, when all goes well, it's when it doesn't, regardless of who is at fault. You can never accurately predict what another driver is going to do.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:45 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Hey Bob,
Good to hear that it ran true. I'm sure that helps to somewhat alleviate concerns that the frame had been bent or damaged by the delivery guy.

Let us know what the tech says.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:04 AM   #11

Crocus,
Last Sunday my Roo was delivered to my front door. The driver got lost and the camper was involved in a little mishap. It had to be righted a little and was severely stuck in some good ole mountain mud. The biggest reason I towed it without the WDH is for the reason you describe. I had concerns the frame was distorted and it would not track well. If I load her up with all the WDH sway stuff, you hit the nail on the head...we may not get a true idea if frame damage occurred.

Regarding the accident...we had the WDH, sway control and so forth on the previous trailer. I can without a doubt say if we towed without it, instead of the jack knife that happened, and we were able to recover the camper and drive it home, the trailer would have decoupled, rolled and been in a million pieces....