Old 10-31-2008, 11:06 AM   #1
Towing a 19' ROO with a 97 Ford Explorer?

Hello all. We are the proud owners of a 2006 Forest River ROO, 19 foot hybrid. The UVW is 3671 and the GVWR is 4590. Our 1997 Ford Explorer, 4.0 SOHC 6 cylinder engine seems to hav several tow ratings, depeding on what internet site you look at. Here is my conundrum-can any of you more experienced towers help a couple out?

One listing says the Explorer can tow 4380 pounds, another says 4860, and yet another says, depending on the gear ratios, 3380 for 3.27 gears, or 4380 for 3.55 gears, or 4880 ( not 4860 as stated above ) for the 3.73 gears. These discrepancies bug me to no end, just ask my wife. Does anyone out there have the REAL skinny on what our sorta TV can handle? FYI, the GCVWR, if I typed that right, was 10000 pounds, from yet another site. We have weighed the entire thing empty with me, the wife, full propane, a battery and a full tank of gas and it comes in at 8300 pounds, exactly. is 1700 pounds enough leeway, before we start adding our personal effects into the New ROO?

Thanks in advance
See you at the campsite
Jim and Lynn

jimandlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 03:25 PM   #2
First thing, Welcome to the FRF. Second thing what does the drivers door sticker say on your truck and finally if you can't read it take the VIN number of your truck to the Ford Dealer and they can tell you. Good Luck.

rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:18 AM   #3
We had a 95 Ford Explorer 4 dr 4.0L and 3.73 gears. it`s tow rating was 5000lbs which is what the owners manual stated. this was the first year redesign of the Explorer. with the newer 4.0L SOHC it will tow even better due to a little more HP something like 190hp compared to 160hp? I had the factory tow pkg. we towed a 25 ft. Award TT with ours with no issues. do you have the 4dr version?

8300lbs? is that for the Explorer and trailer? can`t be for the Exoplorer itself!
02 Ford Excursion V-10 4.30 gears 5 Star Tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar Rear Airbags
Prodigy and Dual Cam
07 Cherokee 32B
Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:02 PM   #4
97 Explorer towing a 19' Roo

Hi there DODGEGUY. Thanks for replying. I will take your 5000 pound towing capacity from your 1995 Explorer and sort of add it to the mix of the various numbers I have come up with during my research. To answer your question, The 8300 pounds was the total of the 19' Forest River Roo and the 97 Ford Explorer. I thinnnnnk I have discovered that I have the 4.10 rear end, which seems to be to be able to pull just a tad more. The MAX combined weight is 10000 pounds accoding to one source, so after loading up today and tomorrow, we will take it to the scales and see. Ideally, I'd like to keep it under 9000 pounds, with that 1000 spare buffer zone that every keeps talking about. Will gladly let ya know. Oh, and these all concern the 2 door 4WD version,btw.

See you at the campsite.

Jim and Lynn
jimandlynn is offline   Reply With Quote