Old 09-06-2012, 09:54 PM   #21

If your tongue weight is below 600#, and you aren't measuring any squat, then you are probably ok without it. Probably the 4x4 suspension is a bit stiffer than in the 4x2 models. There should be a sticker near the receiver listing weight limits with WDH and without.

I have the HD tow package with my Suburban, but you don't get the 3.73 - you get a 3.42. Probably changed that when they did the cylinder deactivation thing. You can get it with the 2500 'burb/yukon though.

If your Roo is like my Surveyor, then it probably sits closer to the ground than these big trailers described on the forum. That should give you less wind resistance, as well as a lower center of gravity making for a better tow. With the long wheelbase tow vehicle and a short trailer, it should make for no sway control needed.

I had a hard time slowing down when towing. I'm spoiled by also having a 3/4 ton diesel that could pull my trailer up mountains at 80mph. 5 mph less speed getting to your destination doesn't really add much to your day, but sure make it less stressful. When in hilly country, I concentrate on keeping the rpms to a reasonable level as to not overstress the truck and not focus on loosing speed.

Another option if you can't do that is to get a supercharger kit. $4-5k can get you another 50 to 75 hp which would certainly make a difference and cheaper than buying a new truck. I'm toying with that idea after watching a segment on Autoweek about the Callaway Suburban and Silverado. 450hp and over 400 ft-lbs torque in the Suburban. Pricey from them at $17k!

Old 09-07-2012, 09:03 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

IMHO, tuners, super chargers, and turbo chargers are not a viable options on modern day vehicles unless it comes from the factory that way. Installing 1 thing will lead to other needed modifications, like exhaust. If indeed a performance boost is obtained, then drive-train problems will probably arise. Before I would invest a bunch of money into modifying a newer vehicle, I would have to consider another vehicle.

I don't have an easy answer on why the OP engine is turning 4500 rpms on slight up hills. The Yukon engine should perform well towing that camper.

I have a comparable setup in my 2006 F150...the 5.4L with 3.73s.....although the OP has never indicated what engine he has in the Yukon, I am presuming the 5.3L. For all comparisons, these 2 vehicle engines should have similar performance. I have seen 4500 rpms on my tach only 2 times.....both of those were "surprise" downshifts to 2nd on step grades in WVa., doing about 60 mph. I immediately backed off of the accelerator and let the engine settle down to about 3500 rpms at 55 mph.....and was still passing some tractor trailers.....those were some killer hills. Usually I don't exceed 3500 rpms on a trip, and if I am not "kicking it" on an interstate acceleration lane, my rpms stay under 3000 rpm on many trips.

Comparing to those "surprise" downshifts to 2nd with similar rpms, I am wondering if that is what is happening to the OP vehicle. The Yukon should pull that camper fine in 3rd gear (presumably a 4 speed trann with OD off). If cruise control is being used, the on-board computer might shift the tranny to 2nd to try to maintain speed up an incline.

If indeed the OP was using cruise control, try it without next time. It is nothing wrong with losing a couple of miles per hour on a hill, but that might keep your tranny from shifting to 2nd and getting high rpms.

And unrelated to engine performance, I still think using a properly setup WDH will result in a much safer and enjoyable towing experience.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:19 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtrmtj View Post
The weight I did post was for the trailer...sorry.

I think I really had unrealistic expectations on the towing at 65mph. I just need to relax and drive, get ore towing experience and one on.
When I first started towing, I tried to drive my normal (speed limit to 5 over). You can do that but you are going to put a lot of strain on your TV, reduce your MPG's and increase your "pucker factor".

Just relax, so you get to the CG 5 or 10 minutes later, big deal. Let the other cars/trucks fly by you, they will even sometimes tell you "your #1". Who cares? Your on your way camping to get rid of stress, so why make the trip there stressful? I'm just saying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtrmtj View Post
Plus it won't help pulling the weight will it?
Nope...
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:21 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy
IMHO, tuners, super chargers, and turbo chargers are not a viable options on modern day vehicles unless it comes from the factory that way. Installing 1 thing will lead to other needed modifications, like exhaust. If indeed a performance boost is obtained, then drive-train problems will probably arise. Before I would invest a bunch of money into modifying a newer vehicle, I would have to consider another vehicle.

I don't have an easy answer on why the OP engine is turning 4500 rpms on slight up hills. The Yukon engine should perform well towing that camper.

I have a comparable setup in my 2006 F150...the 5.4L with 3.73s.....although the OP has never indicated what engine he has in the Yukon, I am presuming the 5.3L. For all comparisons, these 2 vehicle engines should have similar performance. I have seen 4500 rpms on my tach only 2 times.....both of those were "surprise" downshifts to 2nd on step grades in WVa., doing about 60 mph. I immediately backed off of the accelerator and let the engine settle down to about 3500 rpms at 55 mph.....and was still passing some tractor trailers.....those were some killer hills. Usually I don't exceed 3500 rpms on a trip, and if I am not "kicking it" on an interstate acceleration lane, my rpms stay under 3000 rpm on many trips.

Comparing to those "surprise" downshifts to 2nd with similar rpms, I am wondering if that is what is happening to the OP vehicle. The Yukon should pull that camper fine in 3rd gear (presumably a 4 speed trann with OD off). If cruise control is being used, the on-board computer might shift the tranny to 2nd to try to maintain speed up an incline.

If indeed the OP was using cruise control, try it without next time. It is nothing wrong with losing a couple of miles per hour on a hill, but that might keep your tranny from shifting to 2nd and getting high rpms.

And unrelated to engine performance, I still think using a properly setup WDH will result in a much safer and enjoyable towing experience.
Mtnguy,

I think you are right on....thanks so much! I will adjust and see what the next trip holds for me.
2008 Pontiac G6
Xtrmtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:21 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-King

When I first started towing, I tried to drive my normal (speed limit to 5 over). You can do that but you are going to put a lot of strain on your TV, reduce your MPG's and increase your "pucker factor".

Just relax, so you get to the CG 5 or 10 minutes later, big deal. Let the other cars/trucks fly by you, they will even sometimes tell you "your #1". Who cares? Your on your way camping to get rid of stress, so why make the trip there stressful? I'm just saying...

Nope...
Agreed road king......I will just chill and be number one on the hwy....lol
2008 Pontiac G6
Old 09-11-2012, 10:51 PM   #26

My truck sits around that on long hills but is around 2400 RPM on flat ground. Through the mountains it gets up to 5000 rpm. It's got 4.10 gears and a 6.0L.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:21 AM   #27
Engineer of Crazy Train

Highway driving with the trailer, I am spinning about 1800 to 2000 or so on flat, 4th gear, 2.8l Diesel, 3.73 gears. Pulling hills, it can wind up to 3500 to 3800. Rev limit is 4000.

I am also a right lane lover, with or without the trailer. Gotta push for 35mpg while commuting to work with my TV.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #28
cogito ergo moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
IMHO, tuners, super chargers, and turbo chargers are not a viable options on modern day vehicles unless it comes from the factory that way.
I wholeheartedly disagree with that on the issue of tuners. Especially with diesels, but also with gassers as well.

When Ford designed my Excursion, they had 3 main goals, fuel econ, comfort, and warranty. The mighty 7.3 diesel is a very solid and robust engine, routinely used in much larger commercial vehicles with a more powerful tune and racking up an extraordinary reputation for longevity.

Ford decided that they need the engine to be quiet, so they altered the fuel injection timing to quiet the rattle. They also tuned the transmission shift points for max comfort and fuel mileage. They essentially de-tuned the motor by about 30% on the horsepower scale. The 7.3 powerstroke is rated anywhere from 185-275HP and 350-525tq from the factory. The only real difference is the tune suppled by the engine CPU.

Stock, the Exy was no slouch when towing, but not living up to its full potential. I had a custom-tuned chip made for it and I can assure you that it is a night-and-day difference.

Right now I have a stock tune, a high-idle (for quick warm ups) an +80HP economy tune (which I use 90% of the time), a +80HP Towing tune (for up to 10Klbs), a +40HP towing tune (for over 10K) and a +120HP Race Tune for giggles.

I can change tunes on the fly, and it is simply stunning how much difference there is between stock and the +80 towing tune. I have a friend with an F-250 5.4 gas motor with a Hyperchip programmer (which is crap in my eyes) and it makes a noticeable difference in his truck as well.

Are there any drawbacks? well, yes. Yes there is. #1 is on anything other than stock tune, my engine rattle is horrible. I have to change to stock if I want the girl at the McDonald's drive-thru to be able to hear me. #2 on the more powerful tunes, I have to watch my exhaust gas temps closely, lest I damage my engine.

My point in all this is... There ARE gains to be made with chips and programmers. You may not be able to get a small v6 to pull like a v8, but you can ensure that the v6 is giving you everything it can. When you look at the cost/benefit curve, I think you will find them a good choice.

tim
Rallies Attended:
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:10 AM   #29

I've got my Silverado tuned to use a minimum of 91 octane fuel. I tracked mileage constantly for first year of ownership, having the tune done 6 months in. I can say with confidence that it increased my mileage by right around 12%. I made up the cost of the tune just by the savings on our trip to Mt Rushmore in 2011. And as long as I have my Netbook with me, I can revert back at any time.
BeagleIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:50 AM   #30

Attn Dave_monica a while back last year I started this thread because I was new to hauling and was having issues.

To make a long story short, ....I recently had a trip to TN, which just the trip was a huge concern. I followed the advice to a TEE from Dave on hauling and it was worry and stress free.

I greatly appreciate all of the info shared on this site.....Thanks again Dave!!!

2008 Pontiac G6