Old 08-07-2011, 06:26 PM   #11

I gotta chime in.

I pull a 2011 Shamrock 19 (same as Roo) and I have Toyota Highlander 2009 - Canadian version, I mention this 'cause in '09 all Canadian HL had the trailer towing package standard: bigger rad, oil cooler, bigger alternator. I also have the OEM hitch, and had to re-wire myself to allow connection to the brake controller, as Toyota in their great wisdom, only installed a 4-wire connector.

I also have an Equal-i-Zer hitch (600/6000)

It works well, but I would not pull any bigger. It's not just the weight - it's the wind resistance.

This V6 is a fantastic engine and the transmission works flawlessly - in sport mode that is and I alternate between 3rd & 4th all the time.

I average 10 mpg or 24 LI/100kms

It works hard for sure but it does work - but it would not handle a bigger TT - trust me,

Yes, I am looking at getting a pickup soon, simply works too hard to pull a travel trailer.

Good luck.

* Happy Campers *
miatared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goomph View Post
I feel bad now !

First of all welcome to our little place on the internet. it is a very friendly place and you will get a lot of good advice here. Unfortunately the first ones you got were panicky ones
I don't think anyone here was panicky, with the GVRW being close before loading and an accident occured, it could be horrific for everyone involved. Better to be honest about the weights up front than blowing smoke up someone's butt, imo. I saw a mini van towing a Spree Escape hybrid over the weekend. The van's frame was no more than 1 -1 1/2 feet from the road with a WDH system. Obviously too much trailer for the minivan, I just wonder if their dealer said "oh yeah, your mini van can tow it, no problem!"

To the OP, if you could go from the 233 to the 19, it would probably be a wise choice, or a different tow vehicle. I did realize you were talking about the 233 , I just wanted to let you know, even with an adequate tow rating, you can still feel a heavier trailer.

Sorry if that sounds goofy, I have a head cold and can't seem to find the right words for my thoughts.

Nights camped in 2011/36, 2012/9, 2013/24, 2014/27; 2015/50 2016: 34
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:43 AM   #13

I am towing a 19 Roo with a 2011 Highlander and a Reese hitch...

Pro Series Pro Series RB2 Weight Distributing Hitch (1,200 lb) 49570

The Toyota doesn't seam to even be working that hard. I can stay in OD at 65mph (2,100 rpm) on the level areas and the tranny drops into 4th on slight hills. Two weekends ago going to Cape Cod at 102F on the cars thermometer and very muggy with the A/C on we went along just fine. The temp gauge never moved and I was watching it very closely.

The Roo actually weighs 3,668# (advertised at #3,170) empty with no battery and empty propane tanks per the sticker on the side and verified at our town weigh station. Loaded (without water) we are at #4,280.

The Highlander gets 12-13mpg on regular at an actual 65 by my GPS.

We are coming from towing with a Honda Pilot which was out of its league. The Pilot always felt like it was working it ass off as shown by always being one gear lower than the Highlander and getting 9 mpg. I consider the Toyota to be 50% better in all respects as a towing vehicle than the Honda.

We considered going to a Roo 21SS this year (advertised at #3,972) but I think anything heavier would just be too much for the Highlander.

Hope this helps. Happy camping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1877.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	7262   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1879.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	7263   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1876.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	7264  
Old 08-08-2011, 10:21 PM   #14

Depending on how long you plan on keeping the Roo (either one) you may consider looking for a different TV rather than a camper. The 19' Roo is a good unit, but if you had settled on the 233 and then backed down, you'll regret it later, like the rainy weekends or the family gatherings when inside is all elbows and kneecaps. There are many stories of buyers who regreted the first camper they purchased as it just wasn't what they really wanted.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:48 PM   #15
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beebo View Post
Depending on how long you plan on keeping the Roo (either one) you may consider looking for a different TV rather than a camper. The 19' Roo is a good unit, but if you had settled on the 233 and then backed down, you'll regret it later, like the rainy weekends or the family gatherings when inside is all elbows and kneecaps. There are many stories of buyers who regreted the first camper they purchased as it just wasn't what they really wanted.
there's a saying on RV forums, "buy your second trailer, first."
Old 08-13-2011, 08:09 AM   #16

We purchased a Roo 19 because we had a Jeep Liberty at the time and did not want to go over the towing capabilities. Now that we have a 1/2 ton truck we wish we had gotton the Roo 21SS that we had originally wanted.

Tags