Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2011, 07:36 AM   #1

towing Roo 233 with Highlander

I am new to this forum as we have just purchased a Roo 233 but have not picked it up yet. We will be towing it with a 2011 Toyota Highlander V6. All of the ratings look good for the vehicle. I was just wondering if anyone out there is towing a Roo 233 with a Highlander and how is it working out for you?
AnthonyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:44 AM   #2
Site Team

i'm guessing the Highlander has a tow rating of 5000lbs., since most v-6 SUVs all have that amount.

the GVWR of the 233 is WELL over that amount at nearly 6000lbs.
even its fictional "dry" weight is nearly 4000lbs.
and the 400lbs. of normal options and you're at 4400lbs.
with propane and water, you're nearly at your max, before you start adding cargo.

i don't recommend anyone towing at max and i don't think you'll be happy, especially in mountains.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:54 AM   #3

Tow limit of 5,000 which only includes the driver. That Roo will probably leave the factory weighing something like 4,200 Lbs. Wife and two kids = 200 Lbs ? Some gear = 500 Lbs, you re already at 4,900 Lbs. Add the weight of the hitch and sway control, water in the water heater you are already at your limits.

You are looking at an upgrade of your TV pretty quickly as you realize that you are beating that highlander to death. If you are dead set on doing this, have the biggest transmission cooler you can get, make sure you have a gauge (if not already available in you dash) to monitor transmission fluid temperature.

Highlander will surely move it it from point A to point B in mostly flat land. And that is the most you can expect from it, if you want your SUV to last a reasonable amount of time.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:17 PM   #4

What they said. I haul my 233s with a Suburban and can feel when I've loaded it on the heavy side. I couldn't imagine towing it with something smaller.
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:34 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Anthony and welcome.

Great trailer and SUV separately, but not a great set-up together.

Not trying to pile onto you here, but the Roo 233S is too much trailer for the Highlander.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:02 PM   #6

I feel bad now !

First of all welcome to our little place on the internet. it is a very friendly place and you will get a lot of good advice here. Unfortunately the first ones you got were panicky ones
Old 08-07-2011, 03:22 PM   #7

Thanks for the information

This is all very good information. The Roo 233 we have waiting for us is just the 233 not the 233s. The weights are a little bit less but close to the limits of the Highlander none the less. I thought that because the Roo weights were under that of the Highlander maximums that it would be O.K. but maybe it is too close. I can still opt down to a Roo19 which I have been told is absolutely no problem for the Highlander. We just thought that the extra bed on the Roo233 would be nice to have. What do you think about this?
AnthonyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:24 PM   #8

Welcome to the group and we have 233S and it is a nice camper. I tow several thousand miles a year both with my boat and my camper. I had the original Highlander with the 220 hp V6 all wheel drive with tow package. It pulled my old boat ok on flatland and our old pop up pretty good.

I dont necessarily advise towing the 233 with the Highlander especially if and this is a big if, you have never towed anything before. I would suggest if you are in this position here that you must get a weight distribution hitch. You should tow it dry, meaning no water what so ever, you can save about 250 pounds right there. I would also suggest slowing down for sure. Dont push the highlander's tranny here. We tow our 233s either with our Tundra or our 4 Runner with a V8 and tow package. Even with the V8 and 5 speed tranny on the 4 Runner it is noticeable in the mountains. You are where you and if your trips are short you will likely be fine. Maybe see if you can get air shocks or some other rear end stiffener for the highlander too?
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:48 PM   #9
(Kim)

Hmmm, you will know more when you get the trailer and have an actual weight with your options.
Idk what some people here carry with them, but I individually weighed every item I packed in the trailer and I came to about 350lbs total. (no water included)

Your set-up might not be ideal but we have all seen worse.

I would do what Goomph says and get a good transmission cooler.
And pack very light
You can upgrade at a later date.

Dont feel bad.....I have a Ram 1500 but wish I had a 2500. The tow rating of the 1500 is adequate.....but the payload blows, and we are maxed when towing=[
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:04 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labzy View Post
Dont feel bad.....I have a Ram 1500 but wish I had a 2500. The tow rating of the 1500 is adequate.....but the payload blows, and we are maxed when towing=[
Could you refresh my memory on how the payload is affected? Looking for information general basic terms as this stuff can be overwhelming in the start. Thanks.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:26 PM   #11

I gotta chime in.

I pull a 2011 Shamrock 19 (same as Roo) and I have Toyota Highlander 2009 - Canadian version, I mention this 'cause in '09 all Canadian HL had the trailer towing package standard: bigger rad, oil cooler, bigger alternator. I also have the OEM hitch, and had to re-wire myself to allow connection to the brake controller, as Toyota in their great wisdom, only installed a 4-wire connector.

I also have an Equal-i-Zer hitch (600/6000)

It works well, but I would not pull any bigger. It's not just the weight - it's the wind resistance.

This V6 is a fantastic engine and the transmission works flawlessly - in sport mode that is and I alternate between 3rd & 4th all the time.

I average 10 mpg or 24 LI/100kms

It works hard for sure but it does work - but it would not handle a bigger TT - trust me,

Yes, I am looking at getting a pickup soon, simply works too hard to pull a travel trailer.

Good luck.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goomph View Post
I feel bad now !

First of all welcome to our little place on the internet. it is a very friendly place and you will get a lot of good advice here. Unfortunately the first ones you got were panicky ones
I don't think anyone here was panicky, with the GVRW being close before loading and an accident occured, it could be horrific for everyone involved. Better to be honest about the weights up front than blowing smoke up someone's butt, imo. I saw a mini van towing a Spree Escape hybrid over the weekend. The van's frame was no more than 1 -1 1/2 feet from the road with a WDH system. Obviously too much trailer for the minivan, I just wonder if their dealer said "oh yeah, your mini van can tow it, no problem!"

To the OP, if you could go from the 233 to the 19, it would probably be a wise choice, or a different tow vehicle. I did realize you were talking about the 233 , I just wanted to let you know, even with an adequate tow rating, you can still feel a heavier trailer.

Sorry if that sounds goofy, I have a head cold and can't seem to find the right words for my thoughts.
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:43 AM   #13

I am towing a 19 Roo with a 2011 Highlander and a Reese hitch...

Pro Series Pro Series RB2 Weight Distributing Hitch (1,200 lb) 49570

The Toyota doesn't seam to even be working that hard. I can stay in OD at 65mph (2,100 rpm) on the level areas and the tranny drops into 4th on slight hills. Two weekends ago going to Cape Cod at 102F on the cars thermometer and very muggy with the A/C on we went along just fine. The temp gauge never moved and I was watching it very closely.

The Roo actually weighs 3,668# (advertised at #3,170) empty with no battery and empty propane tanks per the sticker on the side and verified at our town weigh station. Loaded (without water) we are at #4,280.

The Highlander gets 12-13mpg on regular at an actual 65 by my GPS.

We are coming from towing with a Honda Pilot which was out of its league. The Pilot always felt like it was working it ass off as shown by always being one gear lower than the Highlander and getting 9 mpg. I consider the Toyota to be 50% better in all respects as a towing vehicle than the Honda.

We considered going to a Roo 21SS this year (advertised at #3,972) but I think anything heavier would just be too much for the Highlander.

Hope this helps. Happy camping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1877.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	7262   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1879.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	7263   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1876.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	7264  
pixleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:21 PM   #14

Depending on how long you plan on keeping the Roo (either one) you may consider looking for a different TV rather than a camper. The 19' Roo is a good unit, but if you had settled on the 233 and then backed down, you'll regret it later, like the rainy weekends or the family gatherings when inside is all elbows and kneecaps. There are many stories of buyers who regreted the first camper they purchased as it just wasn't what they really wanted.
Mr.Beebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:48 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beebo View Post
Depending on how long you plan on keeping the Roo (either one) you may consider looking for a different TV rather than a camper. The 19' Roo is a good unit, but if you had settled on the 233 and then backed down, you'll regret it later, like the rainy weekends or the family gatherings when inside is all elbows and kneecaps. There are many stories of buyers who regreted the first camper they purchased as it just wasn't what they really wanted.
there's a saying on RV forums, "buy your second trailer, first."
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:09 AM   #16

We purchased a Roo 19 because we had a Jeep Liberty at the time and did not want to go over the towing capabilities. Now that we have a 1/2 ton truck we wish we had gotton the Roo 21SS that we had originally wanted.
electrician549 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags