Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2014, 09:37 AM   #21
Camper Less Camping

Great responses...hopefully Husky Family is reading these comments!

Old 02-26-2014, 10:13 AM   #22

I tried towing our 233s with our 05 trailblazer.. It was rated for 5500lbs... The trailer threw the truck around like a leaf.. It was very very dangerous.. I believe a trailblazer has a longer wheelbase than the traverse too.. It was unstable, any type of wind would create major sway...
urocav2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:11 AM   #23

I thought I was pushing it with a ROO 23RS and my X5 35D, a traverse would be not fun at the very least.

I think in order to tow anything a lot of people bend the rules a bit but you cant bend or break them all at one time, so the question of will it tow is easy but should I tow is the better question or maybe will it stop?

My first thought is always can my wife and kids drive this setup on their own with no issues, that makes all the choices for me.
08 Outback 21RS
Talonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:38 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonman View Post
I thought I was pushing it with a ROO 23RS and my X5 35D, a traverse would be not fun at the very least.

I think in order to tow anything a lot of people bend the rules a bit but you cant bend or break them all at one time, so the question of will it tow is easy but should I tow is the better question or maybe will it stop?

My first thought is always can my wife and kids drive this setup on their own with no issues, that makes all the choices for me.
A trailer should stop itself with it's own brakes. I know that's not your main point, but we often act like the TV has to be able to stop the trailer when that's not actually the case.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:26 PM   #25

Agreed but your assuming the trailer brakes work, work well and the controller is adjusted.
08 Outback 21RS
Old 02-26-2014, 02:40 PM   #26

Quote:
Agreed but your assuming the trailer brakes work, work well and the controller is adjusted.
I don't assume that. I do maintenance and check them. If my brakes are working properly and fail at exactly the instant I NEED them, I guess it's my time to go. Not sure having 2x the truck I need would help me in that situation. If we are to assume our trailer brakes aren't working, what is your contingency plan for the brakes failing on the TV?
Old 02-26-2014, 02:59 PM   #27

Hmmm, this is going down the wrong path.

I did not mean YOU assume I meant average Joe may or may not even know the brake controller needs to be set or even if they have a brake controller and may not even know how to check the trailer brakes.

If you are towing with a mega borderline TV the brakes can overheat and fade even if the trailer brakes are working, I boiled the fluid on my Denali pulling my popup so it can happen if your not careful even to 2x the tow vehicle.

When I was pulling with my SRX the breaker for the controller would open up randomly under braking so it was up to the car to stop, it was not awesome but I did stop and was able to get it fixed up.

So if you really want to split hairs I have no problem splitting them right back all day long.
08 Outback 21RS
Old 02-26-2014, 03:22 PM   #28

Quote:
Hmmm, this is going down the wrong path.

I did not mean YOU assume I meant average Joe may or may not even know the brake controller needs to be set or even if they have a brake controller and may not even know how to check the trailer brakes.

Someone towing a large trailer that doesn't even know the basics of a brake controller is going to be unsafe no matter what he or she is towing with, IMO. Not trying to split hairs either, but a public forum is a bad place to be voicing opinions if you aren't open to some debate.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:25 PM   #29

I will also add- no one ever throws out the "brakes argument" to guys with 3/4 and 1 tons. I find it odd that we argue against towing an 8K trailer with a 6K vehicle because the brakes might fail, but no one blinks an eye about someone towing a 15K trailer with a 9K vehicle.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:46 PM   #30
Engineer of Crazy Train

Dustman, you made a few excellent points. If someone is borderline or slightly over towing, I would never fault them if they are safe and they keep everything well maintained.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using the FRF mobile app.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:53 PM   #31
Denver, CO

In colorado you would be talking differently. Brakes ARE important
Old 02-26-2014, 04:10 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
In colorado you would be talking differently. Brakes ARE important
I don't see where anyone made the claim they weren't. Maybe I'm missing something???
Old 02-26-2014, 05:05 PM   #33

mirrors

Even if the weights were right; the mirrors on the Traverse are not good for trailering. The angled mirrors are not even good enough for every day driving. Is there something available aftermarket?
Vacationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:23 PM   #34
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationman View Post
Even if the weights were right; the mirrors on the Traverse are not good for trailering. The angled mirrors are not even good enough for every day driving. Is there something available aftermarket?
This is what I use on my liberty. My review is the top review.

http://www.etrailer.com/Mirrors/CIPA/11650.html

Locomotive Engineer
Old 02-26-2014, 08:26 PM   #35

Not sure about this, but there's a good possibility that your insurance company may choose NOT to cover you if it's discovered that you were overloading your TV. Any insurance "experts" here who can comment?

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:50 PM   #36
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Not sure about this, but there's a good possibility that your insurance company may choose NOT to cover you if it's discovered that you were overloading your TV. Any insurance "experts" here who can comment?
This falls under the same as drunk driving, speeding, running a stop sign/light, talking/texting on the phone.

Locomotive Engineer
Old 02-26-2014, 11:24 PM   #37

Hi everyone, all great information, exactly what I was looking for. We're choosing between the two options of foregoing the trailer purchase or upgrading our tow vehicle from the Traverse. Thanks for all the input!

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s
2014 Runaway Navigator
2013 GMC Yukon XL
husky family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:18 AM   #38
Engineer of Crazy Train

A little off topic, but top 5 small tow vehicles across the puddle...

http://rideapart.com/2013/05/top-fiv...t-can-towhaul/

Locomotive Engineer
Old 02-27-2014, 08:54 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Can't say for sure that you'd NEVER have an issue- there's always a first time. But, I spoke with a gentleman that worked as a policeman, accident investigator and as an investigator for an insurance company. He had worked in California and Texas. When I posed this same question, his response was "How would they know what it weighed?" His point was that there would be debris being thrown away, the trailer would likely go one place and the truck another. They'd have to go to great lengths to weigh everything as well. And how would they know exactly where contents were located to know how much tongue weight there was? How would they know how you had your WDH setup to know EXACTLY how weight was being transferred? He said for all intents and purposes is was impossible for them to determine you were overloaded unless you were grossly overloaded. He said that everything he had ever investigated that involved towing was always attributed to driver error such as following too close, speeding, running a red light and so on.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:05 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky family View Post
Hi everyone, all great information, exactly what I was looking for. We're choosing between the two options of foregoing the trailer purchase or upgrading our tow vehicle from the Traverse. Thanks for all the input!
Welcome, after all of these posts you came to the same (Conclusion) that I posted after you ask,but was removed,if it offended you in any way,I am brief and to the point,No suger coating! I am sorry! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing