Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2014, 11:20 AM   #41

I would get a new TV or find a smaller trailer.

Some of the smaller ROOS or Solaire may fit the bill or a rocking pop up like we have.

If you still want to stay smaller the German SUV's are no bigger than the Traverse and can be had for a great price used, we just bought a 2010 X5 35D and now I am getting a 2008 GL320 for my daily driver and TV. Both can come with 7 passenger and very good on fuel.
08 Outback 21RS
Talonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:53 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Welcome, after all of these posts you came to the same (Conclusion) that I posted after you ask,but was removed,if it offended you in any way,I am brief and to the point,No suger coating! I am sorry! Youroo!!
youroo, not sure I remember your post but thanks for the feedback. I actually don't know how to remove posts so not sure I did!?!?
husky family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:08 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky family View Post
youroo, not sure I remember your post but thanks for the feedback. I actually don't know how to remove posts so not sure I did!?!?
No it was not you who removed it,it was Higher Ups? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:23 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky family View Post
Hi everyone, all great information, exactly what I was looking for. We're choosing between the two options of foregoing the trailer purchase or upgrading our tow vehicle from the Traverse. Thanks for all the input!
To my forum friends, with your input I realized the Traverse was not the best tow vehicle for the Roo. We decided to upgrade to a Yukon XL. This should solve our towing issues! Thanks again!

husky family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:33 PM   #45
Site Team

great choice, just make sure it has the factory tow package.!

now your towing experience should be much easier and relaxed, along with it being a safer combo for you and your family.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:25 PM   #46

yukon XL

Make sure you check the towing capacity for your exact Yukon. All Suburbans and Yukons are not created equal. As previously posted make sure you check for the towing package, not just the hitch. Gearing has quite a bit to do with the towing capacity of a Suburban / Yukon. We have a 2010 Suburban. It has the hitch and the wiring for a trailer, but only 308 gears. Many came with the 308 gears. This greatly reduces the actual towing capacity. We have 2013 21 SS and if remember corrctly we bump right up to the towing capacity of our Suburban. We did add an aftermarket trans cooler for piece of mind. We use our Silverado to tow more often because it has a greater towing capacity. That being said, we do love our Suburban
Mikemiller69gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:38 PM   #47

2014 Yukon Owners Manual Towing Capacities attached..
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2014 Yukon Owners Manual Towing Capacity.pdf (171.1 KB, 48 views)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:09 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemiller69gs View Post
Make sure you check the towing capacity for your exact Yukon. All Suburbans and Yukons are not created equal. As previously posted make sure you check for the towing package, not just the hitch. Gearing has quite a bit to do with the towing capacity of a Suburban / Yukon. We have a 2010 Suburban. It has the hitch and the wiring for a trailer, but only 308 gears. Many came with the 308 gears. This greatly reduces the actual towing capacity. We have 2013 21 SS and if remember corrctly we bump right up to the towing capacity of our Suburban. We did add an aftermarket trans cooler for piece of mind. We use our Silverado to tow more often because it has a greater towing capacity. That being said, we do love our Suburban
I've the avalanche equivalent of the least capable suburban/yukon, and a 21ss. I agree, I feel like I'm fairly close to the top end of what I can tow comfortably. However, it's definitely "close to the top end," and not "exceeding the top end," despite the poor tow specs. The hoops you need to jump through for piece of mind doesn't seem expensive or difficult. I'm about to find out, as I hunt for a good trans cooler.

I'm actually kind of surprised how close in spec the 21ss is to the 233s. I guess it's bulk of the 21ss superslide vs the added length of the 233s
RoyGBivUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:26 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
I have no problems being the 'weight police'. I was a volunteer fireman for 13 years until I responded to a traffic accident where 2 children died. A 13 year old and an 8 year old. That was in 1994, and I am still, to this day, haunted by the image. I could not face it anymore and resigned the FD. For the record it was just an ordinary car wreck, no trailers were involved.

I do not wish to see anyone die like that again. I do not wish to see any brother firefighters or police officers have to live through that, or face the.. well "nightmares" is too harsh a word, but how about "reliving it in your dreams over and over"

There are people who will tell you its a bad idea because it will eat up your transmission (it will), or that your fuel mileage will suck (it will) or that you will come to dread even the slightest hill (you will). I could care less about that. What I worry about is that by the time you pack everything you want to bring and actually roll out in the road, you will most certainly be overweight.

Even if you are just under the limit, the margin for safety is razor thin. If everything goes perfectly, you would theoretically be fine. But what if you blow a right front tire on the Acadia? What if a deer jumps in front of you? What if you blow a fuse on the brake controller? Every percent you get closer to the max towing weight is a percent of safety you are giving up. My Exy is rated at 11,000# on the bumper. My total loadout is roughly 7000-7500 lbs. That's not a bad situation to be in.

You are getting good advice here. You would be wise to listen carefully

Tim
This is the best response to your post! We have a Dodge Dakota sport with tow package rated at about 6000#. Thought "no problem!" Went shopping for a TT and picked our 07 Roo 233 - only 3400#! After asking my dad (who's a mechanic) to help get our Dodge ready to pick up this camper, he was hesitant. He wanted all the specs of the camper. Since he has a Ford F150 (with all the bells and whistles), he offered to come with us and get the camper with his truck first. Then we will see what the Dodge might need. Well, I'm SO glad we took dad's F150! The Roo 233 was more RV than we thought and although our little Dodge Dakota has all the specs to tow it, it wouldn't have been safe. My dad said... "You want your truck to own the trailer, not the trailer to own your truck!" So those are my words to you! You don't want to be going down the highway at 55 mph and have anything overpower your vehicle! Safety comes first!
P.S. We traded in our family car (Fusion) for a crew cab F150 XLT! Totally feel safer towing with it!

MommaHuffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:30 PM   #50

I have towed with a traverse. It's borderline with a 233 never mind the 600 pound tongue weight that the 233s has. You will be towing in 3rd or 4th with rpms of 3300 or so. I don't think it's the right tow vehicle for this trailer. I have the 233s and I tow with a 1500 silverado.
Murray10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing