Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2016, 08:17 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 101
Trailer Hitch

Hello,

I'm looking for a hitch to be installed in my 23IKSS.

My question is:
Have anyone bought / installed one commercial available?
If yes, what model is it?

The reason for my question is that I don't see space enough to install it close to the bumper for we have the jacks on the corners and just following it the water thank.
I need to install one that can hold weight for my bike rack is heavy by itself (4-Bike Steel Wheel-Mount Hitch Bike Rack BC-7621-2E | DiscountRamps.com) and it carries 4 bikes....

Thank you for any help.
__________________

__________________
Ricardo & Luciana Carvalho
2006 BMW X5
2016 Roo 23IKSS
Nights camped in 2016 - 22
Miles rode in 2016 - 6001
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:32 PM   #2
Moderators' Assistant
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 10,464
Betcha that rack won't be warrantied on the back of a RV.
Looking at it, it looks too weak to handle the bouncing it will be subjected to.
That is if the bumper doesn't fail first.

Update :
I was right.
Under the More Info tab, it states not suitable for RVs, 5th wheels and TTs.
__________________

__________________
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:43 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Retired JSO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: NE Florida
Posts: 169
Trailer Hitch

There are several adjustable hitches on the market. Hidden hitch makes one but I can't find the link. You should find one that will work. To cut down on the bike rack bounce, drill a 3/8 hole in the 2" mount and tap. Tighten a 3/8 bolt against the bike mount shaft.http://www.autozone.com/trailer-hitc...0_0/?cmpid=PS:
__________________
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:54 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
GalsofEscape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Catonsville Maryland
Posts: 813
just to offer a different solution - we went with putting the bikes inside our 23WS - all four fit on the dinette. A little bit of work to get them in, but I like them inside the trailer rather than bouncing around on the back where I can't see them. The bikes are firmly held in place and we have had no issues (and cheaper - only two scrap boards, four tongue mount holders and some straps - the straps are threaded through holes we drilled in the seat bottoms to hold the boards in place). Holds the bikes super stable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160731_163843836.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	309.2 KB
ID:	117880  
__________________
HTT: "EscapeII" 2016 Shamrock 23WS (current)
PUP: "Escape" 2010 Rockwood HW 277 (gone)
TV: "Bruce" 2011 Dodge Durango V8 Hemi Crew
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
Traveled 19520 miles and 209 nights in 7 years and counting
GalsofEscape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:09 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 101
Thank you all for the responses but my quest continue.
My problem is not a bike rack but a hitch that will fit the IKSS.
Do we have anyone here with a IKSS that bought and installed an aftermarket hitch?

Bikedan,
That rack has 10K miles on it and it doesn't bounce, even with 4 bikes on it.
It's solid rock and heavy, a pain to put it in the car by myself alone, but that is the reason I want to use it on the trailer and the reason I need a strong hitch on it.

Retire JSO,
Thank you for that link, I'll take a look.
I checked etrailer but I don't think what they have there will fit.

GalsofEscape,
I saw that solution and I think it's really smart, but when we go out we usually spend at least 2 nights turtling on the way and we need to use that space to sleep....

Again,
Thank you all.
__________________
Ricardo & Luciana Carvalho
2006 BMW X5
2016 Roo 23IKSS
Nights camped in 2016 - 22
Miles rode in 2016 - 6001
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:27 PM   #6
Moderators' Assistant
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 10,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post
Thank you all for the responses but my quest continue.
My problem is not a bike rack but a hitch that will fit the IKSS.
Do we have anyone here with a IKSS that bought and installed an aftermarket hitch?

Bikedan,
That rack has 10K miles on it and it doesn't bounce, even with 4 bikes on it.
It's solid rock and heavy, a pain to put it in the car by myself alone, but that is the reason I want to use it on the trailer and the reason I need a strong hitch on it.
I'm assuming that got the 10k miles came mounted on a car/truck.
They have shocks to help prevent the bouncing.

Your trailer doesn't have shocks.
__________________
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:33 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Mainframe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 272
I made my own but I think one of these would work


Frame Mount RV Hitch | etrailer.com
__________________
2016 Shamrock 23WS
Mainframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 05:49 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: indiana
Posts: 401
Most cars / trucks have either a frame or factory designated mounting points for a hitch. Your ultra lite camper has an ultra lite frame suitable only for supporting the camper and nothing else.
Check the tires maximum load rating.
Check the axles maximum load rating.
You will find they barely exceed the mgvw of your camper.
Then imagine putting an admittedly heavy rack loaded with 4 bikes on the tail end of a loaded camper.
You could stress, weaken, and twist the frame.
It could even cause severe handling issues.
Don't do it. Look instead for a rack that mounts above the propane tanks, or the bed of your truck, or even the inside of your camper.
Many options are available that are better than what you are trying to do.
__________________
Jim and Deb
Many times..asst grandkids
2015 Shamrock 23ikss
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 07:37 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Mainframe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by jking46 View Post
Most cars / trucks have either a frame or factory designated mounting points for a hitch. Your ultra lite camper has an ultra lite frame suitable only for supporting the camper and nothing else.
Check the tires maximum load rating.
Check the axles maximum load rating.
You will find they barely exceed the mgvw of your camper.
Then imagine putting an admittedly heavy rack loaded with 4 bikes on the tail end of a loaded camper.
You could stress, weaken, and twist the frame.
It could even cause severe handling issues.
Don't do it. Look instead for a rack that mounts above the propane tanks, or the bed of your truck, or even the inside of your camper.
Many options are available that are better than what you are trying to do.
Not true, i have been hauling bikes on Ultra light campers for 8 years now, ADDING METAL BRACING TO A FRAME STRENGHTENS IT! LOL When you are fabricating things and you want to "beef" something up for added support, you weld in or add metal, go ahead and put your hitch on and load your bikes and have fun, your bikes won't flip your trailer Ha Ha

Do a search on here, many people have done this for multiple years.
__________________
2016 Shamrock 23WS
Mainframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:29 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: NE Arkansas
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
just to offer a different solution - we went with putting the bikes inside our 23WS - all four fit on the dinette. A little bit of work to get them in, but I like them inside the trailer rather than bouncing around on the back where I can't see them. The bikes are firmly held in place and we have had no issues (and cheaper - only two scrap boards, four tongue mount holders and some straps - the straps are threaded through holes we drilled in the seat bottoms to hold the boards in place). Holds the bikes super stable.
This is a really ingenious solution if you don't mind converting the dinette before every trip. Might eventually try something like this myself. Heck, makes me want to remove the dinette totally and install a permanent rack there instead. Might encourage DW and DKs to actually get out of the camper and spend time outside. Bugs me to no end.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
__________________

__________________
2016 Salem Cruise Lite 261bhxl
Ram 1500 5.7l Hemi Crew Cab 4wd
gspot01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hitch, trailer

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:16 PM.