Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2012, 10:55 PM   #1

Trailer Tipping

Forgive me as I am new to towing trailers. Have Roo 17. Last night parking at our cabin. Backing up and there is a bit of a slant to the driveway entrance. Top of trailer tilting quite a bit as I was turning while backing I felt it was fine but wife freaking out thinking whole trailer was going to tip. I know hard for anyone to comment specifically without seeing firsthand but my question is - how Likely is it for a trailer o tip while attached to TV?
Thanks
Dtapp93101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:03 AM   #2

It all depend on how far you let the trailer tilt on a hill. Have seen videos of TT tipping on side during wind storm. Trailer was still attached to the TV and TV wheels were off the ground.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:02 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

They can also roll over in a strong gusty wind on the highway. Many interstates institute "Trailer Bans" during stormy weather for that reason.

If it is windy or stormy I try very hard to delay till the weather improves.
Access risks; then decide. Never "take a chance."

While trailers are not designed to be "top heavy" they do have a lot of side surface. With friction on the bottom from the wheels and that large sail on the camper, gusty winds can roll a combination or blow it right off the road.

The longer the camper is the bigger the sail; the shorter the TV the worse the effect.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:07 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

One other thought is your hitch on a TT. If the twist as the TT backs onto the slope is significant enough; it may twist the hitch off the ball.

I am not sure how much of an angle would cause that. I have seen video of some pretty violent roll overs where the camper stays attached. I guess it would depend on how close to the weight limit of the hitch and coupler you are.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:10 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Old 03-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #6
Site Team

Herk

What would the chance be that it tipped over while trying to park it on a slatted driveway (no wind factor while driving)?

Getting out and taking a look could be helpful but suggest that the wife (any non-driver) remains outside to keep an eye on everything.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
Herk

What would the chance be that it tipped over while trying to park it on a slatted driveway (no wind factor while driving)?

Getting out and taking a look could be helpful but suggest that the wife (any non-driver) remains outside to keep an eye on everything.
Take a chance is not in my vocabulary. If you think something is unsafe; typically you are correct. You may get away with backing into that spot a hundred times without it going over. Just takes once to ruin your day.

Now, my thought (and without pictures it is a total shot in the dark) is that you need to make the parking area more level. Order a couple of tons of crushed stone and drop it in there and level it out. Might be cheap insurance.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:29 PM   #8

How did these accidents happen do you know?

This video is the one Ive seen
sniffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:32 PM   #9

This is an eye opener....wonder what the cause was? High winds? It makes one realize that things can happen just when you don't want them too.
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

We, who don't tow big trailers for a living, forget how much MASS a combination (tow vehicle plus camper) really is.

Newtons law of motion says: An object in motion tends to stay in motion unless acted upon by an external force.

Rolling down the highway we forget that the camper is back there. A sudden gust of unexpected wind; a passing tractor trailer; suddenly getting cut off; trying to pass and not giving the passed vehicle enough room; any number of unexpected events can result in an out of control situation from one heart beat to the next.

An out of balance load; incorrectly loaded camper (weight of camper vs pin (15-25%) or tongue weight 10-15%); length of camper vs tow vehicle wheel base; any or all of these can make a bad situation infinitely worse.

How can it happen?
Why it does not happen more often is a better question.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:21 PM   #11

Wow A bumper pull lifted a dually off the ground!!!
imabmwnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by imabmwnut View Post
Wow A bumper pull lifted a dually off the ground!!!
Did you see the wind buffeting the truck that was filming at the end.
No way a camper that long should have been in an open area in winds of that strength regardless of tow vehicle wheel base.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:09 PM   #13
Site Team

A couple of days ago a guy pulling a really long trailer was rounding a tight corner at the campground when all three tires on the left side were no longer on the pavement. One tire was on top of the curb while the other two tires were not touching anything. I was nervous for a couple of reasons including the fact his trailer was in front of my site and leaning in towards my trailer.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote