Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2011, 09:20 AM   #1

Trimetric 2025RV

I have the Trimetric 2025RV that I need to install. I am a little apprehensive about mounting the shunt exposed to the elements. I have a Roo 19 and since the shunt has to be close to the battery there doesn’t seem a good weatherproof location to mount the shunt and required fuses. How have others done this in the same situation? Thanks for any help!
electrician549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Not sure about how much room you need. How about a waterproof box pop-riveted to the side of the battery box?

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:41 PM   #3

Any reason why the shunt has to be close to the battery? Seems anywhere the negative lead runs prior to branching out to circuits would work.
By the way let us know what you think of the Trimetric once you have it installed. I'd like some feedback as I'm also thinking of getting one.
Koodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:47 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

I love mine. I installed it myself per the directions and have never had a minutes trouble with it.

The shunt should be located as close to the batery's negative terminals as possible to accurately measure the "return" current to the battery bank. A long ground wire between the shunt and the battery will not properly account for current burned up as heat (resistance) in that length of wire. If you do need to locate the shunt inside, I highly recommend a very LARGE gauge wire between the battery ground and shunt to minimize current loss and induced error in the percent remaining calculations.

Also, if you mount the shunt inside the camper make sure it is between the negative on your inverter, if you use one, and the battery bank. ALL current must be accounted for or the calculations of percent capacity remaining will be off.

While that current loss may seem insignificant; a hundred milliamps or so continuously over the course of a few days will skew the results and make you think you have more battery left than you actually do.

I totally like the pop riveted box idea.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:49 AM   #5

I just installed my Trimetric and all I am getting is voltage and not amp usage. I am not sure what I did wrong. I have the wires going from the shunt to the guage itself wired correctly. My thought is that the wire going to the one side if the shunt is wired wrong. any ideas or thoughts? I don't know how to tie the shunt into the coach's ground.

thanks,
bfrtech
bfrtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:21 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrtech View Post
I don't know how to tie the shunt into the coach's ground.
This will cause amperage readout problems for sure.

Battery Neg Terminal -> SHUNT -> WHITE/BLACK WIRE FROM CONVERTER and FRAME

Attach the leads from the Trimeteric computer per the directions and make sure to twist the leads correctly as stated in the directions.

Heavy Black Wire goes DIRECTLY to negative on the battery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3826.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	51805  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TM-2025-Install-Instructions.pdf (208.2 KB, 37 views)
Old 06-18-2014, 06:35 AM   #7

hello all,

thanks for the advice but it didn't work. I connected the ground to the far end of the shunt and the connected a cable from the battery disconnect switch to the close end of the shunt and I didn't have any electricity in my rig. the black (negative?) wire that I disconnected from the one side of the switch sparked greatly when it accidently touch the bolt on the switch. I believe that this wire disconnected from the switch goes to my Power Distribution Center. Would this make sense? do wires run from this center both positive & negative? I checked with a local dealer about what the purpose of this switch was and they said stay away from it!!! It seems to make sense that maybe this should go to the close side of my shunt since it seems like most (or all) power goes thru this unit. what do you think?

thanks,
bfrtech
bfrtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:16 AM   #8

you have to be careful when dealing with RV wiring. they don't use standard colors when they wire the units. On the outside of my battery storage it says black positive and white negative, but on the battery it is red positive and white negative. If the wire you took off the switch sparked when it touch a ground (the bolt of the switch) than it was most likely a positive wire. You need to make sure you did not blow a fuse when you did this. Do you have a multimeter? If yes the first thing you need to do is verify what wires are ground (the RV may be wired like household wires, black positive (hot) and white negative (neutral).

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:22 AM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrtech View Post
hello all,

thanks for the advice but it didn't work. I connected the ground to the far end of the shunt and the connected a cable from the battery disconnect switch to the close end of the shunt and I didn't have any electricity in my rig. the black (negative?) wire that I disconnected from the one side of the switch sparked greatly when it accidently touch the bolt on the switch. I believe that this wire disconnected from the switch goes to my Power Distribution Center. Would this make sense? do wires run from this center both positive & negative? I checked with a local dealer about what the purpose of this switch was and they said stay away from it!!! It seems to make sense that maybe this should go to the close side of my shunt since it seems like most (or all) power goes thru this unit. what do you think?

thanks,
bfrtech
You are trying to mount the shunt on the wrong terminal of your battery bank. You can not do this modification yourself if you can't work with a multimeter to determine what is hot and what is not.

Contact your dealer for assistance.