Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2019, 04:33 PM   #1

Troubleshooting Electric Tongue Jack

2014 forest river roo - 233s. Fic 3500 electric tongue jack

Jack lost power — was able to troubleshoot the issue and found the circuit breaker inside the unit to be the issue

When I push the red area to the copper area— jack works.

Any dangers I should be aware of if I connect w electrical tape until I can find a new part? I can get the jack to work w electrical tape - just don’t want to do any damage to my electrical system

See pics

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8411.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	220069

Name:	IMG_8406.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	220070

Name:	IMG_8412.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	220072
Marine3038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:28 PM   #2
Brake is on left

That looks like the overload switch. As long as there is a fuse on the power wire to the battery (which there should be) it'll be ok for short term use. Worst case is you smoke the jack motor and blow the fuse.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
That looks like the overload switch. As long as there is a fuse on the power wire to the battery (which there should be) it'll be ok for short term use. Worst case is you smoke the jack motor and blow the fuse.

Awesome feedback. Thank you!
Old 12-01-2019, 06:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post

Any idea where I would pick up a replacement? Not much I’m finding online ...
Old 12-02-2019, 11:02 AM   #5

it is likely that is just a 50 AMP fuse... remove it and it will probably say somewhere the rating... Autozone or NAPA autoparts stores should have one.
or check this on amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/RKURCK-Circui...302476&sr=8-26

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:09 AM   #6

If you just bypass this switch you may be able to use the jack for a long time without problems as long as you are careful to not overheat the motor.

It appears to be a thermal limit switch to protect the motor should one use the jack too often. A fuse will prevent over-current but if the motor overheats due to too frequent use at loads under what the fuse is designed to "blow" at, heat will destroy the motor. Usually a problem when people attempt to lift both trailer tongue and tow vehicle rear end to make it easier to attach WDH bars.

My guess is that the part is a proprietary design and may only be available as a replacement part from the jack manufacturer.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
it is likely that is just a 50 AMP fuse... remove it and it will probably say somewhere the rating... Autozone or NAPA autoparts stores should have one.

According to what I have read - they actually call this a circuit breaker (20a). Thanks for your feedback!
Old 12-02-2019, 11:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post

Awesome - thx for taking the time to comment.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
If you just bypass this switch you may be able to use the jack for a long time without problems as long as you are careful to not overheat the motor.

It appears to be a thermal limit switch to protect the motor should one use the jack too often. A fuse will prevent over-current but if the motor overheats due to too frequent use at loads under what the fuse is designed to "blow" at, heat will destroy the motor. Usually a problem when people attempt to lift both trailer tongue and tow vehicle rear end to make it easier to attach WDH bars.

My guess is that the part is a proprietary design and may only be available as a replacement part from the jack manufacturer.

Great feedback - thank you.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:28 AM   #10
Site Team

You need to get the current rating from the case and you should be able to find a replacement at an auto parts store. You can get them from the Mfg but they are more expensive than auto parts. ( etrailer)

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:36 AM   #11

Did it look like this one?

https://www.autozone.com/electrical-...ker/413327_0_0

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
jd50i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:45 PM   #12

you can get it on Amazon
cac951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:20 PM   #13
Brake is on left

This may not be the correct current rating so check yours to make sure.
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Lippert-Components/LC134181.html?feed=npn&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItdizlteX5 gIVBYiGCh2oVQJnEAQYBSABEgJDyvD_BwE
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:32 PM   #14
FLY4FUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post

TitanMike wrote: " people attempt to lift both trailer tongue and tow vehicle rear end to make it easier to attach WDH bars."

...not meaning to hijack, but I've been doing this^ with my new-to-me TT. I've always raised the tongue/TV rear by hand cranking the tongue jack with previous TTs, but had never had the electric jack until this one. Am I seriously cutting the life of my jack...and, is there an alternative? With these old rotator cuffs & sore joints it's almost an impossible task to totally lift & latch the WDH. I'm hoping that I'm missing an "easy" (relative) alternative to using the electric jack. 14
14apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:52 PM   #15

Quote:
I've always raised the tongue/TV rear by hand cranking the tongue jack with previous TTs, but had never had the electric jack until this one. Am I seriously cutting the life of my jack...and, is there an alternative? With these old rotator cuffs & sore joints it's almost an impossible task to totally lift & latch the WDH. I'm hoping that I'm missing an "easy"
I have raised my truck with the electric jack since I got it back in 2014... no problem, but I don't raise it past what I need... I listen and look at the rate and when it begins to slow down because of stress I stop...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:57 PM   #16
Site Team

I had a Ultra Fab power tongue jack for 10 years, until I sold the trailer. Never missed a beat and was still working when I sold the trailer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14apex View Post
TitanMike wrote: " people attempt to lift both trailer tongue and tow vehicle rear end to make it easier to attach WDH bars."

...not meaning to hijack, but I've been doing this^ with my new-to-me TT. I've always raised the tongue/TV rear by hand cranking the tongue jack with previous TTs, but had never had the electric jack until this one. Am I seriously cutting the life of my jack...and, is there an alternative? With these old rotator cuffs & sore joints it's almost an impossible task to totally lift & latch the WDH. I'm hoping that I'm missing an "easy" (relative) alternative to using the electric jack. 14
The point in my comment was that the device in question might be a thermal limit switch to protect the jack from damage.

I use my jack to lift the rear of my truck (some) but am always conscious of how hard it's working so I've never hit a thermal limit or blown a fuse (and hope I never do).

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine3038 View Post
According to what I have read - they actually call this a circuit breaker (20a). Thanks for your feedback!
Yeah, that means that there isn't an in line fuse. I definitely would not disable it (by taping it closed like you did) if the circuit is overloaded there must be a reason for it you must find that reason and corrected. Getting rid of that protection could cause your trailer to catch on fire. Be careful
gfnin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric