Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2016, 04:39 PM   #1

Troubleshooting leaking a/c unit

We are having an issue w out a/c leaking a bunch of water out. Anyone have a similar issue?

Trying to figure out what I should be troubleshooting.

I have a 2014 Roo- 233s. I am sure the humidity in Florida is contributing but it should not be leaking as much as it is (filled a bucket up over the weekend).

Any help/tips would greatly be appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Marine3038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:48 PM   #2

Are you saying the water from the AC is leaking into the trailer?
Asrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:50 PM   #3

Correct

Old 07-10-2016, 04:53 PM   #4

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1468187607.464068.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	113656Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1468187623.398475.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	113657

Old 07-10-2016, 05:18 PM   #5

You might want to check the gasket and make sure it is tight. You do not want to over tighten it, but it needs to be snug. These get loose over time. Take the cover off and you will see 4 bolts, one in each corner. Check and make sure they are tight.
Asrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrabbit View Post
You might want to check the gasket and make sure it is tight. You do not want to over tighten it, but it needs to be snug. These get loose over time. Take the cover off and you will see 4 bolts, one in each corner. Check and make sure they are tight.
Must be a 2014 thing. My 2104S had the same AC and same issue when the humidity was high. Found two problems. First, the drains on top were somewhat restricted / plugged. That allowed water to pool around the AC unit and not run off. Second, the opening in the roof was cut slightly too much on one corner allowing water to seep in.

It was really only noticeable when the AC shut off. Looks as if the fan on top was keeping the water away from the opening until it shut off. At that point, water rushed up against the AC until it drained some.

I pulled the inside cover, slightly tightened the bolts on that corner and opened up the drains a little. Traded it in right after that and never did see if it fixed the issue or not. It only happened on two trips though in 2.5 years, both when it was extremely humid.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:38 PM   #7

I will definitely have a look at your recommendations - thx for the info

Did you trade in for another hybrid? I have definitely thought about trading this one in on a newer model - love the hybrid but this unit has been a challenge

Old 07-10-2016, 08:15 PM   #8

No, mine was a Mini Lite about the same size as yours. I went to a little bit bigger trailer as we started taking more people with us. We enjoyed it while we had it though.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:59 PM   #9

Not sure this is your problem, but I had a leaking AC for two years. Did all the things mentioned in other posts to no avail. Then one day I switched my fan from hi to low and the leaked stopped. Seems in hi humidity situations the holding pan filled to fast and overdeveloped flowed in to the RV. On low it had time to drain out. Just what happened to me.
Just so fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:28 PM   #10

I'd go up top, pull the cover, and inspect the drain hole(s) through the pan. Over time, bugs and tree litter can clog the drain causing the pan to overflow into the camper. All of the condensed water should drain onto the roof and run off somewhere. If the drain is clogged, or slow, then the water can overflow the pan which is very shallow.
hunterrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just so fine View Post
Not sure this is your problem, but I had a leaking AC for two years. Did all the things mentioned in other posts to no avail. Then one day I switched my fan from hi to low and the leaked stopped. Seems in hi humidity situations the holding pan filled to fast and overdeveloped flowed in to the RV. On low it had time to drain out. Just what happened to me.
We live in S Louisiana and it is nothing here if not humid.
Sometimes if the unit is not perfectly level water will pool where there is no drain.
If it is such a drainage problem, take the cover off, let it run an, see where the water pools.
Drill a hold there to let out the water before it overflows into your camper. (Put a block of wood under the pan so you don't accidentally slip and make a hole in your roof)
Put the cover back on and never look back.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just so fine View Post
Then one day I switched my fan from hi to low and the leaked stopped. Seems in hi humidity situations the holding pan filled to fast and overdeveloped flowed in to the RV. On low it had time to drain out. Just what happened to me.
Thanks for the info. I had the same issue on a hot weekend with my Salem CruiseLite. I thought my dealer said to use the high fan setting. Now I'll have to check to be sure I didn't hear it wrong.
MartiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:22 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

1) remove the shroud on your air conditioner (both halves) and clean out the drain holes in the floor pan. If there is standing water in an area, you can carefully drill a large(er) (1/4 to 3/8 inch)diameter hole to aid in drainage. USE A STOP ON YOUR DRILL BIT to prevent drilling into your roof!

2) Remove the interior air handler cover CAREFULLY. You will need to use a razor knife or blade to cut the caulking that binds the plastic to the ceiling. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP or you will ruin your ceiling's paper covering.

3) Examine the "torque tabs" on the air conditioner. They are the yellow tabs in the photo. Over-torqueing or uneven torqueing is usually the culprit if it only leaks during rain storms as the over compressed gasket will eventually fail on the rough EDPM roof material. Removal and gasket replacement will solve this problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000503.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	113748   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000504.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	113749  
Attached Images

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:37 PM   #14

If you don’t have a first class drill stop like the one on Herk's photo, you can cut a piece of tubing to slip over the drill bit with the right length of bit exposed. Just don't press on the drill too hard and compress the tubing as it drills through. As a backup, maybe you can slip a piece of sheet metal behind where you are drilling.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak