Old 09-02-2015, 10:10 AM   #1

Turtling Question

When you go into a campground to only stay overnight on your way to your destination, does anyone here ever just turtle for the night? And do you do a full set up other than the beds?.. such as unhooking from your vehicle.. stabilizers.. etc..
Or can you just pull in.. hook up to elect. water, sewage.. and be done for the night?

Thankie..

Old 09-02-2015, 10:20 AM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

Not a hybrid here, but my goal for an overnight stop is to do AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE. When possible, I don't unhitch. I may or may not put down stabilizers. Since I carry water in the fresh water tank, I don't hookup water and we don't make enough waste water to deal with sewer (depending on the number of showers, I may hook it up quick in the morning to dump gray).

Old 09-02-2015, 10:30 AM   #3

Im in a full size TT so this may not help that much..... but I do as little as possible. I do not extend the slides, I do not hook up to any electric, water or sewage. I do not unhook or put down stabilizers. I also do not cook, I will usually get a bite to eat before stopping for the night and I will usually eat at a restaurant in the AM before getting back on the road.

Nights Camped (2017- 16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:33 AM   #4
Engineer of Crazy Train

We can't turtle completely, but usually just open up what we need. Less to do, the better.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:45 AM   #5

Thank you.. we are looking at, at least 3 nights on the road getting to Yellowstone..and the easier the better.. just want to make sure that we are doing things "properly"..
Old 09-02-2015, 11:25 AM   #6
cogito ergo moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Camper View Post
Thank you.. we are looking at, at least 3 nights on the road getting to Yellowstone..and the easier the better.. just want to make sure that we are doing things "properly"..

'properly' is whatever works for you. Nice thing about R/Ving is that there is usually no hard-and-fast rules. If you can comfortably turtle-up for the night without unhitching, then do it! As you travel you will see R/Vers doing things all kinds of different ways. Sometimes, I kinda shake my head at what people do, but... hey... if it works for them, who am I to judge.

get out there and enjoy yourself.

Tim
Rallies Attended:
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:48 AM   #7

My wife and I have turtled for a simple overnight stay even though we have only gone on one real trip so far. For that trip we wanted an early start and I was still working on things on the trailer. So we got a site at a local state campground that only had electric and after I finished my work we folded everything up and slept on the dinette and sofa bed. We did put the slides out. The TV was all hooked up and ready to go so we wouldn't need to fuss with it in the dark. No stabilizers but we did level it with blocks/wood. Having electric allowed us to chill the frig and a couple of other basic things. So getting out in the morning was much simpler. Pack up, slides in, retrieve levelers after pulling off of them and we're on our way. Of course this assumes that you have a site/spot long enough so that the TV can remain hitched and the slides can go out. The only other thing is to make sure you can level it. When we are hitched, we are level. Our TV auto-levels.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
'properly' is whatever works for you. Nice thing about R/Ving is that there is usually no hard-and-fast rules.
Exactly. You can figure out what works for you.

We usually find a long pull thru site and stay hooked up for a one night stop. To me, the extra 10-15 minutes to put the beds down and hookup to water/electric is worth it. Its still vacation - might as well be comfortable. Not unhooking and setting up rug/chairs/grill, etc still gets you most of the time savings for a quick start in the morning.

If I was going to turtle with no hookups, I wouldn't bother finding & paying for a campground. Any rest stop / Walmart would work, but for us, we always try to stop at a reasonable time to have a cocktail, dinner, and let the kids swim or whatever. That's the main thing we like about rv'ing vs a hotel, even for a quick stop.

But there is no wrong answer here, so enjoy!

2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:44 PM   #9

Next summer we are heading to Mount Rushmore. And plan on stopping and staying at the Cabelas in Mitchell SD. Going to bring a generator for AC. Will stay hooked up but plan on putting slide out and bunks down
Old 09-02-2015, 12:53 PM   #10

We do the same as many have said.Stay hooked up,put out slides just to be comfortable. Have run the genny if its hot and need the AC.Where we stay depends on how far we go or how tired I get. Like to get a spot in a CG,but have stayed in parking lots before to.Water and electric for sure.May dump the next morning.