Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2016, 08:32 PM   #1

Two more weeks!

We pick up our new 2017 Roo 23IKSS in two weeks and we cannot wait!
Any advice for a first time Roo owner? Anything I should look out for when we take her out the following weekend?

Brad - 38
Jenn - 38
The Twins: Lina and Sophie - 6
Two mutts and a 2015 F150 Supercrew
berdmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:14 AM   #2

Just a few suggestions from a fellow new Roo owner: get some graphite for the locks, wet down the bunk end canvas thoroughly, reinforce the drawer bottoms, put a locking door handle on the bathroom if you have kids and keep the emergency unlock tool handy! , get a Rhino-Flex sewer hose, run your furnace until it gets good and hot to make sure it doesn't get noisy and... Have fun!
MiCamper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:38 AM   #3

For safety reasons I would recommend not adding locks to interior doors especially if you have kids.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:55 AM   #4

Come on Dan....Say it......
Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:46 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drenjoey View Post
Come on Dan....Say it......
Alright!

Get some Popup Gizmos for the canvas and some Reflectix for the tent windows.
#1 mod for hybrids.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Alright!

#1 mod for hybrids.
You're a good sport !
Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 12:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiCamper6 View Post
Just a few suggestions from a fellow new Roo owner: get some graphite for the locks, wet down the bunk end canvas thoroughly, reinforce the drawer bottoms, put a locking door handle on the bathroom if you have kids and keep the emergency unlock tool handy! , get a Rhino-Flex sewer hose, run your furnace until it gets good and hot to make sure it doesn't get noisy and... Have fun!
I think he meant "smelly." You want to burn off the oils and such that are left on the furnace during construction. First time you run the furnace these burn off and stink a bit.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 12:35 PM   #8

Nope... Noisy. When my furnace has run for a while the fan hits the housing. If you run it for just a few minutes you wouldn't know there is a problem.
Old 07-17-2016, 12:36 PM   #9

And I still can't figure out why there would be a problem with putting a locking door handle on a bathroom door??
Old 07-17-2016, 03:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Alright!

#1 mod for hybrids.
I am in the homebuilding industry and am familiar with a reflective house wrap to put overtop of the Tyvek before vinyl siding or stone or whatever. Are you using a similar product to custom make a covering of some kind to go inside or outside the tent end?

Or are you just cutting out a piece the shape of the windows and zippering it between the vinyl and the screen parts?
Old 07-17-2016, 03:28 PM   #11

Quote:
And I still can't figure out why there would be a problem with putting a locking door handle on a bathroom door??
my kids love to try and open the door, I'm definitely putting on a lock!
Old 07-17-2016, 03:43 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdmann View Post
I am in the homebuilding industry and am familiar with a reflective house wrap to put overtop of the Tyvek before vinyl siding or stone or whatever. Are you using a similar product to custom make a covering of some kind to go inside or outside the tent end?

Or are you just cutting out a piece the shape of the windows and zippering it between the vinyl and the screen parts?
First, Google Popup Gizmos. It will explain how they work.
You can make your own with Sportsmen/All-weather blankets from Cabelas or Bass Pro or REI.

The Reflectix is reflective bubble wrap used in homes.
It comes in rolls and Lowe's and HD carry it.
We cut out sections to put in the tent windows, between the screens and the widow flap.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:46 PM   #13

Suggest you do a couple days driveway camping before your first trip, if possible. That way you can try out all the systems in the camper, making sure they work as intended, instead of being at a campground miles away.
Of course, all systems should be covered in your pdi, but in case you forget something, you will have time to call the dealership for info.
As previously mentioned, season the tent ends.
Make sure battery is fully charged.
Have fun and good luck.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:36 PM   #14

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned none. Provided that the door can be easily - and quickly - unlocked from the outside. I would never want a kid on the wrong side of the door unable - or unwilling - to unlock it.

When our kids were small we installed emergency door lock release striker plates on most of our home's interior doors. The door locked normally but you could give the door a quick hip check and it would open nothing flat. No key to find.

I'd do the same with our camper if we had little ones with us regularly. Privacy can be tough enough in a camper. Some folks might be hard pressed to take care of their business if they knew nothing would stop someone from opening the door in the middle of things.

Of course, given current construction materials and techniques the wall may come down with the door. . .
2006 Fleetwood Bayside / 2006 4Runner
1999 Coleman SantaFe / 2001 Sienna
1967 Nimrod / 1998 Outback
Old Eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Eeyore View Post
As far as I'm concerned none. Provided that the door can be easily - and quickly - unlocked from the outside. I would never want a kid on the wrong side of the door unable - or unwilling - to unlock it.

When our kids were small we installed emergency door lock release striker plates on most of our home's interior doors. The door locked normally but you could give the door a quick hip check and it would open nothing flat. No key to find.

I'd do the same with our camper if we had little ones with us regularly. Privacy can be tough enough in a camper. Some folks might be hard pressed to take care of their business if they knew nothing would stop someone from opening the door in the middle of things.

Of course, given current construction materials and techniques the wall may come down with the door. . .
The locking door lock I installed in my Roo unlocks automatically with a twist of the interior door handle. It also came with a simple straight 'pin' with a loop on the end that will unlock the door when pushed into the small hole in the center of the external door handle. Therefore it is virtually impossible for anyone to get locked in the bathroom, and it is easily and quickly unlocked from the outside as well. Much better than having my young daughter walking in on me, and vice-versa (both of which have happened).
Old 07-17-2016, 08:20 PM   #16

Quote:
The locking door lock I installed in my Roo unlocks automatically with a twist of the interior door handle. It also came with a simple straight 'pin' with a loop on the end that will unlock the door when pushed into the small hole in the center of the external door handle. Therefore it is virtually impossible for anyone to get locked in the bathroom, and it is easily and quickly unlocked from the outside as well. Much better than having my young daughter walking in on me, and vice-versa (both of which have happened).
We had those on the doors too. Simple operation and worked well for many years and I was thinking that installing the striker plates was a waste of time. But - one stormy night our DD was in the bathroom when the power went out. It was like a cave in there. She panicked - couldn't move - just screamed and screamed. The hall was just a dark and my DW fumbled for the key - but never found it. She screamed. I hip-checked the door and all was well. . . after I got my heart rate down. (Nothing like a nasty thunderstorm accompanied by little girl and big girl screams to get a guy's ticker thumpin'! )
2006 Fleetwood Bayside / 2006 4Runner
1999 Coleman SantaFe / 2001 Sienna
1967 Nimrod / 1998 Outback
Old Eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:45 PM   #17
jrfops

Our smoke detector was not installed tight, and came off during travel. When we opened the slide, we heard a loud crunching noise. Luckily, only the smoke detector was damaged. We installed the new one so it's not over the slide. Also, put a 4 in 1 screw driver in trailer. The screws in our trailer come loose a lot.
jrfops is offline   Reply With Quote