Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2014, 04:46 PM   #1

Uncomfortable Mattress

We finally get to take the camper out over the Thanksgiving holiday. We had a great trip to our favorite local campground. We quickly found out that the front mattress in my 2015 23IKSS is HORRIBLE. We were ready to come home after the second night just so we can get some restful sleep. I do not remember the thickness (2 or 3 inch) of the memory foam topper we use on top of the mattress, but the mattress is still HORRIBLE. Anyone else having or had the same issue? Anyone ever claimed a "uncomfortable mattress" warranty on the mattresses in your camper? I am going to switch the front and rear mattresses out to see if there is a difference.

2015 Roo 23IKSS
TV: 2004 GMC Sierra
BMFLYFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:00 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

In our Flagstaff the original mattress was pretty lackluster. Not outright horrible, but lackluster enough that we needed to add a 4" memory topper to it to get a decent nights sleep.

While we were at the rally in Goshen last August, we ended up picking up a new Eurotopped mattress from one of the vendors and I can say that it's night and day. Almost like sleeping on the bed at home.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:03 PM   #3

X2 on the new Eurotopper.
The original mattresses are just plain junk, Can see why they dont just put a good mattress in and just add it to the price.
Kevin & Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:33 PM   #4

In my Micro Lite The mattress pretty comfortable we have a heated mattress in ours.We don't have any trouble sleeping
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:39 PM   #5

The mattress provided by the factory is pretty bad on ours too. We are going to try putting a memory foam pad on and see if it helps.

2015 Evo 2700
2017 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 4.10
Evo2700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:42 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

We did the same at Goshen with our mattress. It was only slept on a dozen times but we knew it was time. We bought a Sealy at the rally and it was the best move we ever did. We paid $500 for it at the rally. When we purchased our 5er, the dealer said they had access to RV mattresses at a good price from a mattress factory. Good luck!
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:20 PM   #7

Just remember that this is in the Roo forum so I am assuming that the mattress needs to fold for the trailer to close properly.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:35 PM   #8

Very uncomfortable. We buy air mattresses and put them under the mattress, don't want to lose the heater. Empty them and fold them up with the mattress.
2003 GMC 1500HD 4X4 6.0 3:73 Diablo tuner
mattb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBass View Post
In my Micro Lite The mattress pretty comfortable we have a heated mattress in ours.We don't have any trouble sleeping
Show off!

2015 Roo 23IKSS
Old 12-22-2014, 07:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattb View Post
Very uncomfortable. We buy air mattresses and put them under the mattress, don't want to lose the heater. Empty them and fold them up with the mattress.
What kind of air mattress do you inflate under the mattress?

2015 Roo 23IKSS
Old 12-22-2014, 08:50 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archicamper View Post
Just remember that this is in the Roo forum so I am assuming that the mattress needs to fold for the trailer to close properly.

Oh, missed that. Yeah, a 16" deep euro top won't work then.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 12-22-2014, 09:33 PM   #12

We bought one through Camping World, though it cost about $450, it was the best sleeping. Another forum suggested this mattress thru Amazon. A good nights sleep is worth the money
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...VYFWLQPMC6KI5D
Vallgrlx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMFLYFISH View Post
Show off!
No I wasn't showing off .My old trailer had a mattress it was like sleeping on plywood .I bought a memory foam for it and it help
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 03:30 PM   #14

[QUOTE=BillyBass;754013]No I wasn't showing off .My old trailer had a mattress it was like sleeping on plywood .I bought a memory foam for it and it help[/QUOTE

We had the same style heated mattress in our old pup. That mattress was a fantastic mattress. With the mattress turned on to level 3, the memory foam topper and the hum of the bunk fan and the A/C, we did some fantastic sleeping. We are so dissappointed in this mattress because it seems to be getting progressively worse the more we sleep on it. For the price that the camper cost, I just think that the mattress should not be this bad.

2015 Roo 23IKSS
Old 12-23-2014, 04:15 PM   #15
Site Team

most hybrid owners find a foam topper makes a world of difference, for the positive.
not sure about your particular mattress, but it's the exception.
maybe the dealer will exchange them for another set, since it may be those particular mattresses.

from reading posts/threads on this subject, only a handful of hybrid owners have resorted to an air mattress. that's based on being a member of 5 different hybrid forums, for over 10 years.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:27 PM   #16

I have the 23IKSS and would agree that the factory mattress isn't the best quality, but as Archicamper mentioned it is a hybrid and the mattress needs to fold to get the bunk to close. I am considering a mattress topper. What is recommended with this size? It measures to a short queen, but is difficult to find that size topper without spending too much. I can get a 3" gel foam queen topper for around a$100 at Sam's Club. Can I get by with a full size or should I get the larger queen?
JWHybrid2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:40 PM   #17

We use Full size mattress toppers on the beds in our 23IKSS. Length is perfect and the width is pretty close. It has helped a lot. I sleep great but my wife doesn't sleep that well. I sleep by the window and she sleeps on the fold. I've offered to swap with her but she prefers that spot.
I did swap the front and back mattresses and one seemed to be flatter on the front bunk where we sleep.

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:50 PM   #18

What size topper did you go with 2,3 or 4 inch?
JWHybrid2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:47 PM   #19

We got the toppers at a store called Aldi. It is a grocery store but they have other seasonal items that they sell throughout the year. When it was back to school season, they had pillows, toppers, and lots of storage gizmos. We ended up getting a bunch of things for the new HTT that have worked very well. The toppers that we purchased are 3" and we got them in size full. The length is perfect and they are only maybe 2"short on the sides which is fine. They are flat (not fitted) but have wide sturdy straps on the corners that secure them to the mattress. I think they are part gel foam and part fiberfill. Whatever it is, the beds are very comfortable now.

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 10:43 PM   #20
Old Fella

We have the 2" topper and it's very comfortable, now the dinette cushions and sofa aren't comfortable at all. We're looking at re foaming them, at least the dinette bottoms.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Aussiecat is offline   Reply With Quote