Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2018, 09:30 AM   #1

Undercarriage, is this normal?

NTU 2006 Roo 23ss Tried to get pic. Between the floor and metal beam in some spots wood has been slid in. i suspect it's where thw slide mounts are bolted to the floor. Doesn't look like this was built this way. Floor inside is level amazingly, but soft in between beams and or wood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3146.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	385.6 KB
ID:	173642   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3147.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	330.1 KB
ID:	173643   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3148.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	353.6 KB
ID:	173644   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3149.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	419.7 KB
ID:	173645  
smalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:37 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalt View Post
NTU 2006 Roo 23ss Tried to get pic. Between the floor and metal beam in some spots wood has been slid in. i suspect it's where thw slide mounts are bolted to the floor. Doesn't look like this was built this way. Floor inside is level amazingly, but soft in between beams and or wood.
Deffenatly has been added. You can see the screws into the frame. Something above must need support. Are you the original owner?
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:50 AM   #3

No, we just bought it on Craigslist from a seller who buys them from Flagg RV. We had seen it on Flagg's site previously by coincidence so when we matched the vins we were confident that Flagg had done a good inspection. Wall under slide out also has a rotted beam which is where the other section of slide mounts and motor are/we're firmly attached. We're bringing it to an rv repairman to see if that can be fixed because the slides rocks like it's going over a speed bump during extensio and retractio. Seller told us that was normal, we now know it's because the slide mounts are screwed into rotted wood. live and leard as they say. We even took it to a local rockwood dealer and they said slide was fine....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3142.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	429.0 KB
ID:	173648   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3141.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	365.8 KB
ID:	173649  
Old 05-28-2018, 10:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalt View Post
No, we just bought it on Craigslist from a seller who buys them from Flagg RV. We had seen it on Flagg's site previously by coincidence so when we matched the vins we were confident that Flagg had done a good inspection. Wall under slide out also has a rotted beam which is where the other section of slide mounts and motor are/we're firmly attached. We're bringing it to an rv repairman to see if that can be fixed because the slides rocks like it's going over a speed bump during extensio and retractio. Seller told us that was normal, we now know it's because the slide mounts are screwed into rotted wood. live and leard as they say. We even took it to a local rockwood dealer and they said slide was fine....
Look it over good and see why you have rotten wood/soft spots. Leak someplace. Be sure it's been fixed. What is the PVC pipe doing? looks to be wedged in place.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:06 AM   #5

Will do, thanks. My husband put the pvc to try and support the rail bracket since the wall it's attached to is rotted.
High School Spanish teacher
Old 05-29-2018, 08:16 AM   #6

There is some rocking in the slide, top to bottom when running in and out. It will never sit perfectly level when running it in and out. Ordered mine from factory, and it did this from day 1. Im sure that what mine does is normal operation. Im not sure if that's what your referring to.

The soft spots in the floor could be rot, or it could be normal wear and tear if you have a luan plywood floor. Not sure what a 2006 would be. The luan floor is a piece of Styrofoam sandwiched between 2 pieces of thin luan plywood. They do this to save weight, but over time it will develop soft spots in high traffic areas when the foam in the center begins to break down from being compressed over and over again. The only fix for it, short of replacing the entire floor is reinforcing it from the bottom. Ive never ran into this personally, ive only seen and read about it on other threads started on the subject. It looks to me like that's what they attempted to do. Its something to look into.
Finster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:02 PM   #7
Site Team

A 2006 Roo/Shamrock will have luan flooring.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:39 PM   #8

Thanks for the info!
High School Spanish teacher
Old 06-01-2018, 07:40 AM   #9

Rain Gutters

My biggest issue with my 2009 Roo is that the rain gutters over the bunk ends are a joke. I replaced mine with some galvanized roof flashing that sticks out about 1-1/2". Under that nice plastic outer cover on your ROO is nothing but sugar cubes apparently. If it gets any water it melts, and you'll have waves in the plastic. So be very sure to check your roof and bunk ends every 6 months or so to make sure that everything is water tight. I live in the desert and have problems, so I can't imagine what it would be like where it actually rains.

That said, we love our ROO. We can take it almost anywhere and park in campgrounds that were built in the 1950's, or out in the woods where there are no other people.

If you boondock, be aware that there are lots of small loads that are on all the time, and tend to eat your batteries. We added solar panels, and love them.