Old 03-12-2016, 02:18 PM   #21
Moderators' Assistant

In case you don't know, the canvas tent ends on new hybrids and popups need to be soaked and then dried out.
This allows the seam threads to swell in the holes.
It's common to have leaks during this process.

It's called "Seasoning" the canvas.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 02:49 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
In case you don't know, the canvas tent ends on new hybrids and popups need to be soaked and then dried out.

Maybe that's what the dealership was doing lol 😃

Old 03-12-2016, 03:33 PM   #23

Let us know what you did!
Old 03-12-2016, 03:45 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainframe View Post
Let us know what you did!
Thanks everyone for your advice and help. Our pdi guy wasnt "sure" they could switch them out and tried to tell us they would need to order a new one. So I marched into the general sales manager's office and told him straight up the bed needed to be switched out today with the other trailer they had on the lot. He was kind of taken back and said "oh, ok we will see what we can do". I just told him we wouldn't be signing papers unless they did. 10 min later they were bringing a new bed to the trailer. I also told him he needed to write down with his signature what happened and put that it wouldn't affect the warranty. He didn't want to but again, after telling him we wouldn't be signing papers until we had a paper stating this, he did. other than this issue, everything else is perfect!
Old 03-12-2016, 03:47 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCAMPER View Post
Maybe that's what the dealership was doing lol 😃
Haha
Old 03-12-2016, 04:08 PM   #26
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaboingy View Post
Thanks everyone for your advice and help. Our pdi guy wasnt "sure" they could switch them out and tried to tell us they would need to order a new one. So I marched into the general sales manager's office and told him straight up the bed needed to be switched out today with the other trailer they had on the lot. He was kind of taken back and said "oh, ok we will see what we can do". I just told him we wouldn't be signing papers unless they did. 10 min later they were bringing a new bed to the trailer. I also told him he needed to write down with his signature what happened and put that it wouldn't affect the warranty. He didn't want to but again, after telling him we wouldn't be signing papers until we had a paper stating this, he did. other than this issue, everything else is perfect!
GOOD ON YOU!!!
I am glad this worked out, you need to look out for yourself because they sure WILL NOT!

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:10 PM   #27
cogito ergo moo

I would not take the unit. If the dealer balks, ask him if he would take a new car that the dealer left out all night in the rain with the windows open.

You are paying for new. You should get new.

Tim
Rallies Attended:
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:31 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post

Common to have leaks? I think not. Recommendation is to lightly mist the tent ends several times, not pool the water on the canvas. That way the threads swell, but no water damage.
PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:04 AM   #29

I personally would not have taken the unit for the same reason mentioned above. I would never take a new car off the lot that had been sitting out, windows down in the rain. The smell every time it warms up will be rancid. If you're buying new I would have waited for a replacement unit, or bought somewhere else.

Good luck and happy camping!
Old 03-16-2016, 09:44 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrun View Post
Common to have leaks? I think not. Recommendation is to lightly mist the tent ends several times, not pool the water on the canvas. That way the threads swell, but no water damage.

I do not know where you picked up the "light mist" part but I have now seasoned 2 popups and 2 hybrids, 3 were supplied by National tent and awning and one was from whatever the supplier is FR uses which slips my mind at the moment, and all of them tell you to "saturate". Sometimes it takes 4 or 5 times to get it all to seal. Here is a cut/past right out of the FR owners manual. It even tells you to expect water in the trailer. Some common sense needs to be used.

1. All vinyl tents need to get wet one or more times to seal the needle holes. Your tent is sewn with a special thread that swells up and seals the holes after it has been wet.
  2. You will need to precondition your tent before camping by spraying water on the tent until thoroughly wet.
  3. Begin this procedure by setting up the camper as you would when camping. Be sure all windows are zipped closed and the storm door window is closed and secure.
  4. Remove all cushions and drapes and store them in a dry place.
  5. Saturate all seams with water and check inside the camper for any seam leaks. Make sure that any moisture in the interior resulting from this process is removed if present.
  6. Allow the tent to dry, making sure it is completely dry before putting it away.
  7. If leaking should reoccur after prolonged use, you may consider resealing the stitching with one of the recommended tent sealing products on the market or paraffin. Once the sealing process is completed, retest for leaks using the steps listed above.
Most people never need to worry about it if they're buying a stock unit as the dealer had it sitting out in the weather on the lot so it seasoned itself. When they take delivery they park it and open it all up then walk away until someone buys it. They let Mother Nature season the tents.

Kaboingy, good job standing your ground. Its not easy. I stood my ground to the point of ultimately refusing delivery and having to order another unit. Its easy for others to say "we would of refused it" until you actually have to do it and deal with the added time frames and BS that causes as well as considering all the time you had already invested. I think if your issue was the only issue I had found, and knew the bunk door itself or structure below did not take any water just the mattress, I probably would of accepted it the same as you did. Good luck and congrats.