Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2015, 08:42 PM   #1

Use slide out when not out?

Our new 23IKSS has a slide out on each side. Kitchen on one side, dinette/sofa on the other. People talk about staying a night at a Walmart but that you shouldn't extend your slide outs or put your bed ends down. So can you use the dinette or sofa bed even though the slide it "in"?
drhroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:48 PM   #2

Sure can, it won't hurt anything
keith52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:30 PM   #3
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

Not sure you will have much room to walk around with the slides in.

Erik Lundquist
elundquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:40 PM   #4

If at a Walmart I would leave them "in" just in case a tired trucker decides to park next to you, or worse, another tired camper, and takes out the slide FOR you...Capiche? Unless
nobody can't maneuver near it, wouldn't take the chance. You are not losing "that" much room are you?? ;}
Pixelbum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:48 PM   #5

Park next to a curb way away from everything slides on the curb side and your safe.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:08 PM   #6

^^ This is how we do it too. I will find a median or grassy area in the parking lot where I can pull up to it on the driver's side. When overnighting in a parking lot, you will need to deploy one slide on your 23IKSS so you can get back to the bathroom. My preference is to deploy the dinette slide. By doing that, we have more room for the sofa bed and kitchen table bed. I've also deployed the front bunk on occasion since we can fold it down while still hitched up to the Expedition.

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK-in-SC View Post
^^ This is how we do it too. I will find a median or grassy area in the parking lot where I can pull up to it on the driver's side. When overnighting in a parking lot, you will need to deploy one slide on your 23IKSS so you can get back to the bathroom. My preference is to deploy the dinette slide. By doing that, we have more room for the sofa bed and kitchen table bed. I've also deployed the front bunk on occasion since we can fold it down while still hitched up to the Expedition.
OK. We can certainly do that. I just thought that it Walmart strongly discouraged putting slides out or deploying beds as it gave the appearance that you were planning to stay put for a while. If it is more a matter of not "being in the way" or getting hit by someone I can work around that.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:19 AM   #8

I believe if you use common sense when picking where to setup you will be ok. Asking the manager for permission always seems to be appreciated and they will often tell you where they prefer you park. I've read that using your stabilizers (especially the levelers on big RVs) can damage the pavement so that is frowned upon for sure. When we overnight in a parking lot we are usually pulling in after 11pm and are back on the road by 8am so it is a short visit.

One last thing to mention. Although some corporations like Walmart, Cracker Barrel, Gander Mountain, etc. allow overnight parking, there may be local town ordinances that will trump any corporate policies. I have found this website very helpful for finding places to park for a few hours of sleep:

Overnight RV Parking

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:48 AM   #9

Our dealer told us to not use the slideout when it was in during our PDI. I asked here and the general consensus was to not step on the edge of the SO when it was retracted.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ion-80140.html
PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrun View Post
Our dealer told us to not use the slideout when it was in during our PDI. I asked here and the general consensus was to not step on the edge of the SO when it was retracted.
Good thread. Thanks, Karrun! It all makes sense. Stepping on the SS when it is in if you don't step on the edge is probably better than my wife climbing over the island - which is what she did - 4 times.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrun View Post
The tech at my dealer said the same thing. He did say once in a while or just retrieving something should be ok.
ACE110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:33 PM   #12

We've overnight end in both Walmart and Cracker Barrel, after checking with the manager, this summer. We go to the back of the parking lot, next to a curb or grassy median so we are out of the way and have an area to walk the dog. We put our slide out and open the front bed as it can be opened while hitched to the truck. We crank down the stabilizers to take out the wiggle. We've had no problems with anything. My biggest concern has been how long the battery will last. We're back on the road by 8 in the morning. Tried staying at a TA off of I-81 in TN one time. It was too noisy and too bright. Neither my DH or I got any sleep. Made for a very long day when we pulled out.
Ncgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:42 AM   #13

Smile

Our unit is a 2006. We have never been told by anyone not to use the slides while in...I would check with an actual Forest River rep. These units are built to be used, and would make no sense to not be able to walk on slide out while in. We certainly use ours while in when we stop for a lunch break, etc.
We have stayed in many Wal-marts, Cabellas, etc. Use common sense, ask where the preferred parking is and like mentioned, park along the side of the lot or next to islands and feel free to put out slides. We have never been hassled by anyone about having them out, or felt in danger of someone hitting them. In Canada and Alaska there are whole communities of Wal-mart campers - people are there for a week at a time!
frogsandhogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out