Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2015, 08:15 AM   #21

The converter should charge the batteries while you are plugged in as long as the battery disconnect is not pushed in or disconnected.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:07 AM   #22

Was the camper near or almost level at the rest stop. Some rest stops have a pretty good fall to the curb side. Operating the slides in an off level situation like that can really stress the slide motor and gears and cause an extra heavy amp load on the battery.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:22 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudleydoo View Post
...Maybe my DH crossed some wires when he hooked it back up a while ago and we just didn't notice until now.

It's possible, in a trailer a lot of people get the positive and negative backwards when reinstalling.

But that would have blown the reverse polarity fuses and you wouldn't have had any power from the battery at all.

More likely than not, your convertor wasn't charging your battery. Do you have a battery disconnect? In my Trailer it's a small plunger next to the distribution panel (fuse box if you will) under the fridge. It work's like one of those emergency stop buttons, so it needs to be pulled out to charge the battery, and quits working when pushed in.

Another possibility is the fuse/cb is blown coming off the battery. From the battery, follow the wire off the positive terminal until you either encounter a fuse holder or a small block. It'll most likely be underneath the trailer, a foot or two in from the front.

If it's a block, look for a button sticking out the side and push it in to reset, just like the resets on those old power bars with the button on the side that would pop out. If it's a fuse, try replacing it.

Then if all that's ok, as others have said you should check the strength of the battery. Might just be getting weak.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 05-01-2015, 09:48 AM   #24
Site Team

We have been hooked up to 110 for the past 2 weeks, shouldn't the battery be charged up?

If your battery has been drawn down too many times, the battery may be comprised. Or your converter may not be functioning properly.

Does the battery get charged while towing the trailer?

Many think their tow vehicle will charge up the battery while driving.
Most will only provide a trickle charge at best. It will usually take a full day of driving for it to recharge a low battery.

Maybe my DH crossed some wires when he hooked it back up a while ago and we just didn't notice until now.

If he did, he may have blown a fuse or tripped the resettable fuse/breaker along the A-frame. Then the battery won't get charged, even when plugged in.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:10 AM   #25

Well, problem solved.....we replaced the battery. Hope that is all the problems for a long while. We hope to head out to the Mississippi River and give it a try. Might even try some fishing. I've had good luck with salmon and halibut so will now try for the smaller ones!

Bonnie
Digby (Lhasa Apso)
2014 Shamrock 23IKSS
dudleydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:55 PM   #26

I have my trailer in storage with no battery in it. If I want to get into the rear bunkhouse or bathroom area I just hook up my truck and it opens and closes fine using the vehicle battery.
If we're traveling with the trailer and went to get in to the back I will just open it about a foot so I can pass through. Been doing this for 4 years now.

2012 F150 FX4 Crew 5.0
2012 Coachman Freedom Express 292BHDS (outdoor Kitchen)
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:37 AM   #27

We now shut off the battery when we don't need it. I think we just drained it down with the small things that run constantly. Live and learn.
Digby (Lhasa Apso)
2014 Shamrock 23IKSS
Old 07-30-2015, 11:05 PM   #28

Quote:
We now shut off the battery when we don't need it. I think we just drained it down with the small things that run constantly. Live and learn.
Yes, when we picked up our new trailer about a week or so ago they made a big deal during the walkthrough about pulling the disconnect key out to completely disconnect the battery so the carbon monoxide sensor wouldn't drain it. Apparently the electricity draw from that sensor is very small but it is alway on so if it sits (as in storage) in runs down the battery. I hear this is common.
drhroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:04 AM   #29

Yes, and we learned the hard way. Now we make sure it is off since the TV and CD player also drain it. If we leave the house or campground with a full charge, we should be good to operate a slide. I just want to be able to stop anywhere and get to the fridge and bathroom. Climbing over the table wasn't bad but not fun, especially since we don't knock it down! Not a pretty sight.
Digby (Lhasa Apso)
2014 Shamrock 23IKSS
Old 07-31-2015, 10:10 PM   #30

Just got back from 17 day trip out west. 7 driving days and we stopped and opened the kitchen slide for lunch at least each day and many days other "rest" stops. Absolutely no problems. Never open partially, keep the battery charged and connected to TV and make sure the TV charge relay is installed (f150 specific issue) so that it charges as you drive.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:46 AM   #31

Kanga99, if the trailer battery is hooked up to car, isn't being charge automatically? What does "f150 specific issue" mean. I'm blonde, and not sure about all this tech stuff.
Digby (Lhasa Apso)
2014 Shamrock 23IKSS
Old 08-01-2015, 08:57 AM   #32

Dudly,GM trucks need the (Fuse) also for Remote charge! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:18 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Kanga99, if the trailer battery is hooked up to car, isn't being charge automatically? What does "f150 specific issue" mean. I'm blonde, and not sure about all this tech stuff.

Not all trucks do that automatically. Some need to have the ability to charge turned on by installing either a relay or a fuse, depending on the truck. Your dealer should be able to check this for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-01-2015, 11:34 AM   #34

I am driving a Ford Explorer
Digby (Lhasa Apso)
2014 Shamrock 23IKSS
Old 08-01-2015, 01:49 PM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
I am driving a Ford Explorer
hopefully, it's the v-8 Exploder! (used to own one myself)

have you checked to see if the 7-pin plug is providing a charge to the trailer?

even if the fuse/relay is installed, your car will only provide a trickle charge to the battery.
so, don't expect that a battery at 50%, will be charged after driving a couple of hours.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out