Old 11-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #11

It set off the alarm while we were sleeping.

I set the thermostat then went to bed, I will say there is NO problem with the alarm.....

At 3am, boom wide eyed and WTH, real glad there was no one next to us.

Trailer stunk for sometime.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #12
NELA

Yup, happened to us while at Pigeon Forge a couple of months ago. Scared the beejeepers outta us! Arrived back at the RV after going to the Bristol race, turned the furnace on to take the chill off, went to bed around 3 AM, woke up 3 hours later to the smoke alarm screaming at us.

Had enough smoke in the trailer that DH said as he moved through to the LR area there was a tsunami of smoke moving in front of him. PDI guy said there'd be a smell but did NOT tell us about the smoke. Grrrrrr

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:29 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
this happens when the dealer fails to inform a new owner, during the PDI,..
IMO, the dealer should have already "burned the furnace in" as part of the preparation, otherwise how do they know it works? Same as the entire water system, elec. wh, propane wh checks, water pump, lights etc. Just poor dealer prep!
Old 11-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #14

i knew about the issue before hand and fired up the heater to burn off the coating set the alarm. actually used it this past weekend no alarm but still a slight smell
Prothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:19 PM   #15

We saw you turning onto Birnham Woods on Sunday. We where suppose to be camping also but, since Hill Country flooded the campground was under water. We had the same problem with our heater last year at least it happened durning the day..
Old 11-06-2013, 09:01 PM   #16

I guess I feel lucky. We used ours and I only had a slight smell, no alarm thankfully.
Nights camping 2013: 15
Nights camping 2014: 22
RoamingBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:12 PM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I think what causes most of the smoke/odor is the dust that settles in the unit. I have the same problem with the house. I have heat pump with electric heater strips. The first time It fires up the heat strips, the odor comes.
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
IMO, the dealer should have already "burned the furnace in" as part of the preparation, otherwise how do they know it works?
I had to check my own recently. I took delivery in August and it was in the mid 90's here...you probably couldn't get that furnace to light if your life depended on it. I'm not sure exactly what the max temp on the thermostat is for heat. It'll dial up, but you couldn't cycle the furnace above a certain temp. At least, my last one was like that and I assumed this one was too.

During the first little cold snap we had last month I decided to fire it up and check it not thinking it might smoke or the fact that my slide was in and the smoke detector was right in the middle of where the slide was....oops.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:51 PM   #19
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by awwall View Post
I think what causes most of the smoke/odor is the dust that settles in the unit. I have the same problem with the house. I have heat pump with electric heater strips. The first time It fires up the heat strips, the odor comes.
Agree if the unit has been fired up before, but this is a first time fire up and it is the oil used in fabrication of the burner unit that smokes so bad. Actually will burn your eyes it's so bad if you try to stay in the unit. I always open the windows and turn the cook top vent fan on.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:05 PM   #20
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspivey View Post
I had to check my own recently. I took delivery in August and it was in the mid 90's here...you probably couldn't get that furnace to light if your life depended on it. I'm not sure exactly what the max temp on the thermostat is for heat. It'll dial up, but you couldn't cycle the furnace above a certain temp. At least, my last one was like that and I assumed this one was too.
We got lucky. Picked up our unit in mid-July and it was unpleasantly warm out. Part of my PDI checklist was to check the furnace and sure enough, it was dead-on-arrival. The tech swapped out some board while we waited and it was fixed before we left. My wife actually went up to the bed and napped for a while.