Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2014, 12:10 AM   #1

Using the slide deployed 70%

Hiya. If you got yourself situated, and found there were an obstruction preventing full deployment of the slide, by like 8", is there any reason not to use your roo with it just a few inches shy of fully deployed, vs hooking up and all?
RoyGBivUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:58 AM   #2

While not being familiar with your unit, I would be very careful walking on the slide out. The designs that I know of are meant to slide out and then the floor drops into its place with support underneath, if not supported in the proper way when you walk on the floor you could break it. It may be hard to picture but think of having a thin piece of wood on a table, when it is completely in the table and you push down in it nothing happens, but if you were to start sliding it off the table and apply downward pressure it can snap when the appropriate force is applied.
meck51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by meck51 View Post
While not being familiar with your unit, I would be very careful walking on the slide out. The designs that I know of are meant to slide out and then the floor drops into its place with support underneath, if not supported in the proper way when you walk on the floor you could break it. It may be hard to picture but think of having a thin piece of wood on a table, when it is completely in the table and you push down in it nothing happens, but if you were to start sliding it off the table and apply downward pressure it can snap when the appropriate force is applied.
x2 you will not be solid in place it has to drop down even.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:30 AM   #4
Professional Curmudgeon

Something I think is common to all slides is the inside seal. If it isn't fully extended, the inside seal won't make contact allowing water intrution.
I know it's aggravating, but the best thing is to relocate the camper to clear the obstruction.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:39 AM   #5

Well thanks folks. Yes it's a '13 21SS, new to me, so I appreciate the feedback.

For me, it's a question of whether I could leave the slide partway open in my carport, because there's *almost* enough room to fully open it, but just not quite. It was tempting to just leave it open and use it while it's airing out.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:43 AM   #6

Agree with rest of the post. I wouldn't walk or put any weight on it unless fully extended. Not meant for that. And you won't get a full weather right seal without it fully open
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:58 AM   #7

I wouldn't walk or put any weight on it unless fully extended.
2017 Ford F350 PSD
GlenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:05 AM   #8

My slide is about 12 feet, there is no way I would walk on it unless it was full out.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:17 PM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todouble View Post
Agree with rest of the post. I wouldn't walk or put any weight on it unless fully extended. Not meant for that. And you won't get a full weather right seal without it fully open

I agree here, though being in a carport- I wonder if it's as much of a worry that the slide wouldn't be weather right since it is protected by the carport.

The floor support is only an issue if it is a flush floor slide when the slide is fully deployed.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:26 PM   #10
Site Team

as deep as the slide is on the 21SS and it being on an ultralight frame, there's NO way i would do what you're thinking of.
i have a 23SS and would never think about getting on it until it was fully deployed. and my slide is not anywhere as deep as your 21SS's slide is.
the only time i do what you're thinking of, is when i partially deploy the slide out, to have more room to get inside.
but we would NEVER try sitting on the sofa when doing this.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Funny story - when we were going through our PDI, the tech goes over everything on the outside, then we go inside. Step one, open the slide. He looks at my DS and tells him he can ride on the couch while he opens it! So a I about had a heart attack, and just give the kid the look and he politely declines. So the tech gets on the slide and tells DW to hit the button! No harm done, I guess, but I still wouldn't want to use a flush-floor slide unless it was fully extended and level with the rest of the floor.

And then there was his attempt to show us how to light the oven, after he mistakenly left a stove burner valve open but no lit. Its a wonder we survived the PDI!

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
as deep as the slide is on the 21SS and it being on an ultralight frame, there's NO way i would do what you're thinking of.
i have a 23SS and would never think about getting on it until it was fully deployed. and my slide is not anywhere as deep as your 21SS's slide is.
the only time i do what you're thinking of, is when i partially deploy the slide out, to have more room to get inside.
It is definitely a surprisingly deep slide. Watching it go in, there's a stretch at the end where the lip of the floor definitely swings up, as the slide wall seats against the stationary wall seals. That's where I figured the floor was most vulnerable. Personally, I'm most concerned about accidentally stressing the unsupported floor when its fully-retracted, both unintentionally stepping on things, or as I'm stowing cargo in haste.

Looking at the mechanism work, it does appear to be less vulnerable when it is partially deployed, though. As the slide separates, the floor drops down substantially, and seems to ride very close to the trailer floor, if not on the floor. Here I figure there's a bit less concern, as any substantial deflection at the end is supported. But it's still a risk, for sure.

I don't suppose anyone knows what weight those storage bins in the slide can hold? I was hoping to stuff everything from my wdh pieces to a ladder in there.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:12 PM   #13
WFD

While your slide is only partially extended, the seal is not made also allowing for the possibility of critters being able to get in. A mouse needs a very small opening to be able to get in.

Rick
WFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:28 AM   #14

I once saw two guys use the back bumper of a Duramax to close the slide of a rental trailer, we offered help to crank it back in and we were rudely told no, so we grabbed all the chairs and watched, the sound of turbo whine and busting wood was awesome.

I would think if it can support its own weight while sliding out is should be able to support its own weight half way, and they must design a bit of weight carry into the slide.

Filling up the storage areas or the fridge of the slide is no different than sitting on the couch while putting the slide in or out is it?
08 Outback 21RS
Talonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:45 PM   #15

The whole problem is that seal is not sealing, can it carry the weight yes. What you have to remember is the slide tilts down as it go's out and tilts up as it comes in, I mean the back edge or wall area. If you open it 70% your slide floor will be at an angle tilted down to the back side. Your front edge in the trailer will be about 1" plus or minus higher then the units floor, which is just 3/4" plywood cut at about 45 degrees on the inside edge. As far as weight on my one slide I have my stove, Refer and hide a bed. It is the exact same frame and structure as the other slide with just a dinette table and corner entertainment center, same length slide. So it can carry the weight. As stated it's only the seals not sealing and the tripping hazard of the raised floor. In fact my heavier slide works better then the lighter side. Do I think it's a good idea NO, but I have to let the refer slide out a little maybe 18" or so to get to my refer at a rest stop to open the door, because of the Island that is in the middle that both slides pull up to when retracted. Also I still trip on that edge every time and I worry about breaking that edge with my weight stepping on it when raised.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:49 AM   #16

So, I've taken a closer look at the mechanism and I definitely have more confidence in it's weight-bearing integrity while partially deployed. I agree w/ you, gljurczik, if you're at a site, the real issue is the lack of proper sealing. The floor itself is 3/4" ply, riding on a carpeted surface. @ 70% deployment, the edge is almost directly on the carpeted surface, so maybe 6" or so of the 3/4" ply suspended 3/4" above the trailer's floor. Stepping around, it's quite firm.

Sitting on the sofa/dinette, is the least of concerns, as the vertical pieces distribute your weight across the whole surface.

For my own scenario, in the carport, I'm much more comfortable w/ the idea of partial deployment than I was earlier. It's protected from weather, and the carpeting does a nice job diminishing the tripping hazard.

Tags
slide