Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2015, 11:44 AM   #21

I sent mine back to him last year and he sewed velcro onto mine. Before I had used adhesive velcro on my pugs but it wasn't staying. It stays fine on my Roo. I removed those before sending them to him. They were not easy to remove though.

Also his clips aren't the best ones. Mine started breaking shortly after I got my PUGS for my popup many years ago. I use the same PUGS since switching to my Roo but I replaced the spring clips with some from Harbor Freight. My brother in law just got PUGS for his new 233S and I see Bob is still using the same clips. lol

My next plan is to use some tarp clips to attach to the PUGS and run some bungee cord from one side to the other and make mine into the super high wind for when I am at the beach. We went to Colonial Williamsburg for Spring Break and I was constantly re-installing the clips.
grege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:36 PM   #22

What kind of clamps did you get from Harbor Freight? We had tge ones provided breaking the first time we used them. I would love to get some better ones.
Towing with 2007 Ford F150
Camping in Colorado
cropper127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:26 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cropper127 View Post
What kind of clamps did you get from Harbor Freight? We had tge ones provided breaking the first time we used them. I would love to get some better ones.
I have been using these.

Spring Clamp Set 22 Pc

I plan on using tarp clamps like this with bungee cord and clips. I didn't buy the tarp clamps at HF though.

Multipurpose Tarp Clips 4 Pc
grege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 03:04 PM   #24

Hey guys...is 3/4 the best width to use on the gizmos and 1" on the roo? I am ready to order and wasn't sure if 2" sticky would be too wide for the ledge.

Thanks!
RooVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 03:38 PM   #25

I split the 2" industrial adhesive backed down the middle to make 1" for the roo side. It's worked well so far.

Edited. And we did use 3/4" on the pug side.
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:32 PM   #26

Just did this as well.

I used the 2" industrial adhesive hook Velcro full width and went continuously end to end. Figured it would be easier to attach the PUG with the full 2" width, and less likely to peel off the Roo body if continuous.

My Home Depot only had the Velcro in black, but it looks fine as the 2" width covers the whole lip below the gasket; looks like it was always there.

Used 3/4" sew on loop for the PUG. The hook and loop is actually sold separately at the fabric shop, so no wasting with the 3/4" loop. i think a full 24 feet was like $10.

Question, do you end up using the top bungee that runs in the pocket where the Velcro is sewn? Seems to want to pull the PUG off when I try to attach to the carabiner below the door. I might add a dome fastener at each end if it won't stay; we eventually added domes on the removable bunk ends on our Jayco as the Velcro had a habit of peeling open.

We haven't used the PUG's and Reflectix window panels camping yet, but the heat gain improvement was really noticeable while working on the trailer in the driveway. Interior temperature was only a degree or two above 31 degree C (~92 F) ambient in full sun. The whole show (Reflectix & PUG) folds up with the bunk while still in place, which is great.

Cheers and thanks for the idea / tips.

Stu
2011 Ford Econoline Club Wagon
stugilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 05:31 AM   #27

I am planning the same Velcro setup. Questions. How did you get up on the end to attach the Velcro? Could you reach across enough with a ladder or did you have to walk on the tent ends? Is the regular 2" adhesive backed from HD holding OK? If the rain stops here in Ohio I will be attaching this weekend. I had Velcro sewn on the PUGs when I ordered then
Old 06-16-2015, 09:03 AM   #28

I used a three step ladder / stool to get up on the bunk end. Kneeling on the bunk end on top of the canvas I was easily able to reach up and install the Velcro. I left the mattress in place. I would advise zipping up the window flaps and removing Reflectix panels (if you have them) first; my knee kind of bent the Reflectix a bit but no issue with the canvas.

The tape appears to hold very well. By running the Velcro continuously from one side to the other I figure it is very unlikely to lift. The PUG reaches slightly wider at each end of the Velcro. Although I have not had mine in place for too long, the Velcro appears more likely to lift rather than the adhesive.

This is the type I used in it's full 2" width, one roll per bunk end, black colour. It is rated for outdoor use.

Velcro | Velcro Industrial Strength 10 ft. x 2 in. Tape | Home Depot Canada

HTH

Stu
Old 06-16-2015, 02:37 PM   #29

Here are a few pictures of my installation.

Stu
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1183.jpg
Views:	1414
Size:	421.4 KB
ID:	80166   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1184.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	343.3 KB
ID:	80167   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1185.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	342.1 KB
ID:	80168   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1186.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	353.8 KB
ID:	80169   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1187.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	365.1 KB
ID:	80170  

Old 06-16-2015, 05:48 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by stugilmour View Post
Just did this as well.

I used the 2" industrial adhesive hook Velcro full width and went continuously end to end. Figured it would be easier to attach the PUG with the full 2" width, and less likely to peel off the Roo body if continuous.

My Home Depot only had the Velcro in black, but it looks fine as the 2" width covers the whole lip below the gasket; looks like it was always there.

Used 3/4" sew on loop for the PUG. The hook and loop is actually sold separately at the fabric shop, so no wasting with the 3/4" loop. i think a full 24 feet was like $10.

Question, do you end up using the top bungee that runs in the pocket where the Velcro is sewn? Seems to want to pull the PUG off when I try to attach to the carabiner below the door. I might add a dome fastener at each end if it won't stay; we eventually added domes on the removable bunk ends on our Jayco as the Velcro had a habit of peeling open.

We haven't used the PUG's and Reflectix window panels camping yet, but the heat gain improvement was really noticeable while working on the trailer in the driveway. Interior temperature was only a degree or two above 31 degree C (~92 F) ambient in full sun. The whole show (Reflectix & PUG) folds up with the bunk while still in place, which is great.

Cheers and thanks for the idea / tips.

Stu
i did indeed remove the bungee from the end that has the sewn on velcro. It seemed to fit better and didn't pull the tent down at the bunk end. I've had no problems with the velcroed end coming loose even in storms and winds.

Nice photos of your setup!

Jim
Old 06-16-2015, 11:42 PM   #31

Where did you get the tool box behinds propane tanks?

2014 roo 233S. 2008 saab 97x
dado39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:57 AM   #32
Engineer of Crazy Train

I got PUGs for the new camper and Bob apparently put it on the wrong end for me
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:11 AM   #33

Thanks for the tip on removing or not using the top bungee. All good now.

The aluminium box is from Lowes. It is a Kobalt Aluminum Universal Truck Tool Box - $179, originally designed to go on the side of a pickup box. Kobalt is a captive brand of Lowes; the same or similar box is marketed as a Lund or Tradesman (Model TAL480) by other big box stores, although Lowes had the best price and availability in my area.

http://www.lowes.ca/truck-boxes/koba...&ProductSlot=4

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/lu...l#.VYF7HPlViko

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/48-i...luminum/997220

The propane tank platform has to be moved forward about 2". I also strengthened the base with two four foot lengths 2" x 2" aluminium angle. In my application it is the perfect size for four 6v golf cart batteries charged by my solar panels.

I got the idea for the box from this recent thread, which has several excellent pictures:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...mod-83196.html

I am planning to start a separate thread on this (and a few other) mods. I have yet to connect the tow vehicle and check clearance to the weight distribution bars, so hadn't prepared a post. As 6wate mentioned in his post the notch for the pickup bed side allows perfect clearance for the WDH chains.

Stu
Old 06-17-2015, 06:59 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandchris View Post
This is for the newer style bunk ends.....
Awhile back Force talked about using velcro to attach his popup gizmos to his Roo. I went ahead with this because I didn't like the way the spring clips would deform the bunk end seals on the top section and it kept the gutter from channeling away the water in a rainstorm. These are the SHWS pugs.
I used 4 ft of the industrial adhesive strength hook side (2 inch wide, split into 1 inch widths) and placed three 16 inch pieces, one at each end and one in center position.
I then had my DW sew the loop on the adjoinng locations on the black strap that normally gets attached at the gutter.
The loop velcro was 3/4 inch width non adhesive type.
Just be sure to pull on the black strap/velcro and not pull on the material when removing to eliminate possibility of tearing the gizmo.

FWIW, I also liked Forces idea of using two small carabiners on each end to connect the cords together. Works well and keeps the cord ends from tangling when stored.

The cheapo extend-a-hand works well for getting to the center of the bunk ends to attach and remove the pug.
I am looking at your pics and the loop velcro is sewn onto the inside of the pug? Wouldn't it be better if it was sewn on the outside (silver side) so you can just put it up there and it doesn't fold back?

2014 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 4X4
Me, Hubby and Luna the Lab
sewingcybermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:56 PM   #35

I missed how Jim and Chris sewed the loop Velcro on the PUG, but I did put mine on the silver side, and it seems to work well. Hopefully they will be along shortly to confirm how they did it. We left the top shock cord in place, but based on not being needed, it may be easier to sew with it removed?

HTH

Stu
Old 06-18-2015, 03:20 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by stugilmour View Post
I missed how Jim and Chris sewed the loop Velcro on the PUG, but I did put mine on the silver side, and it seems to work well. Hopefully they will be along shortly to confirm how they did it. We left the top shock cord in place, but based on not being needed, it may be easier to sew with it removed?

HTH

Stu
Sorry, been busy - installed an Ultra breeze vent cover on the front vent fan today on the Roo, instruction sheet wasn't quite correct but after calling fantastic fan tech support got it installed just fine.

Yep, we sewed it on the green side. I pm'ed sewingcybermom about it. I remember looking at where we put the velcro on the bunk end and if I recall correctly, went with the underside as it seemed to be easier to attach the mid section of the pug using the extend a-hand and the step ladder.

There's no reason why you couldn't sew it to the upper silver side, it's just not folded under is all.

On a similar note, seems like only using the velcro and not the bungee cord would cut down on pulling the tent ends away from the bunk. I have not experienced this as yet. We were in two really nasty storms last summer and the velcro seemed to work well with no issues. We did remove the bungee cord from the velcro'ed strip. YMMV

HTH

Jim
Old 06-24-2015, 05:59 PM   #37

Hey guys, which side do I sew the Velcro...the one where two bungees are close together or where they are far apart. I am not sure which end goes toward the camper and I can't get up to test it.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:04 PM   #38

We sewed the velcro to the end that has the bungees farther apart. It seemed to fit better that way, not sure if that's the correct way though.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:18 PM   #39

We had the Velcro pre-installed when we purchased the PUGS and if my memory serves me correctly (in other words, wait for someone else to confirm), it is on the silver side and at the end with the bungee cords close together. The rest of the cords are pretty evenly spaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:30 PM   #40

Yep, looking at tbe photos on the PUG site, it looks like the "narrow" end is the bunk end.

Tags
pop up