Old 03-07-2012, 03:34 PM   #11

I'm considering the Roo 19. I Drive a JeepGrand Cherokee V8 5.7 4x2 with trailer weight capacity of 7400, tongue weight 740. The manual says for loads over 3500 a weight distributing hitch is required. Reading the issue experienced by the previous Jeep owner, should I be concerned?

Old 03-08-2012, 06:31 AM   #12

RoadDog,
I do have the Reese dual cam, the camper really didn't sway with the Liberty it was more pushed over as a complete unit. It was almost like driving a boat and getting hit broadside by two to three foot waves.

I do believe my Silverado is least equipped to tow. It does have the towing package and is rated at 6600#. It has the 5.3L, 4 speed tranny and 3.42 differential. Going across Sidling Hill and South Mountain my tranny temp can get to 207 when I finally crest the top. That is usually with three adults a beagle and everything needed to camp three to four days.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:28 AM   #13

Rogonna,
I think your GC will be fine especially with a WD hitch. It has a big V8, higher tow cap and a longer wheelbase than the Liberty (by 5"-10" depending on year). GC's are dimensionally close to the size of a Highlander and would likely have similar aerodynamics which another member uses and says his does fine.
WD: Equalizer 1200/12K
BC: Ram OEM
RoadDog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDog66 View Post
Rogonna,GC's are dimensionally close to the size of a Highlander and would likely have similar aerodynamics which another member uses and says his does fine.
That would be me.

The Highlander does fine with an Equal-I-zer 600/6000 and OEM hitch.

I pack light, minimal water - for the emergency pee on the road - it's just the two of us, not kids or pets.

After many several long trips, in the hills of WV and TN, I can say that it works well, sure the Highlander works hard, but the tranny is fantastic to use and the engine is a workhorse. I take good care of it too.

It's also a beautiful driving vehicle, well I think. My only issue is the very small gas tank....
* Happy Campers *
miatared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogonna View Post
I'm considering the Roo 19. I Drive a JeepGrand Cherokee V8 5.7 4x2 with trailer weight capacity of 7400, tongue weight 740. The manual says for loads over 3500 a weight distributing hitch is required. Reading the issue experienced by the previous Jeep owner, should I be concerned?

My GC was the inline 6 with 200,000 km, so it was a little tired. The V8 should be fine, especially with the WD hitch
Old 03-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #16

"Going across Sidling Hill and South Mountain my tranny temp can get to 207 when I finally crest the top."
=======================
Do that on a regular basis and you won't have a tranny. I like to keep mine under 160 max, usually runs about 145.
As for the original question, I would suggest buying the Ford EcoBoost 1/2 ton. Big towing capacity coupled with good fuel mileage when empty. Second choice would be a Dodge with the hemi.
I'm not a fan of SUVs, as they just don't seem to handle loads like the trucks, and trucks are so much more uselful.