Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2015, 04:49 PM   #1

Voltmeter install in Roo 19

I ordered an lcd voltmeter to install below the control centre in my 2015 Roo 19. I'm wondering if anyone has done this already, and if so what wires they tapped into? See picture below for wiring inside the cabinet by the door. I was thinking the red/white or the yellow/white that appear to be going through the wall to the Awning LED and Scare light? the white side of the wire would be ground (-)?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-07-26 16.15.42.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	298.3 KB
ID:	84329  
redwolfpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:48 AM   #2

What does the voltmeter look like?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
urocav2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:51 AM   #3

Is the voltmeter for the 12 volt battery system, or the 120 volt ac system?
Old 07-29-2015, 09:55 AM   #4

Voltmeter is for the 12v system.

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00IXF3H22/r...=voltmeter+lcd
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	41djWR7EvEL._SX425_.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	84477  
Old 07-29-2015, 09:56 AM   #5

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolfpei View Post
I ordered an lcd voltmeter to install below the control centre in my 2015 Roo 19. I'm wondering if anyone has done this already, and if so what wires they tapped into? See picture below for wiring inside the cabinet by the door. I was thinking the red/white or the yellow/white that appear to be going through the wall to the Awning LED and Scare light? the white side of the wire would be ground (-)?
Sounds like a lot of trouble to go through. You will get the information you need out of a 120v plug in voltmeter in one of your outlets and for about $15

jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:01 AM   #6

It's a great way to monitor power state when dry camping. I installed one in my old tent trailer and it was the best mod i ever did.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-09-14 12.43.32.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	84478  
Old 07-29-2015, 10:04 AM   #7

That's a very interesting idea! What is the purpose for this? Are you trying to monitor power consumption while boondocking? Check status of battery?
mbCik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:04 AM   #8

Redwolf, I would not use either of those wires, since I suspect they are both not hot unless the items they are powering are on. Plus, if that is the case you will be sampling power from a line that is loaded and may be down .1 or .2 volts from what the battery condition actually is. .2 Volts is a large percentage of battery life. You should try to find a 12 Volt supply line that goes directly to the control panel from the battery. There is definitely one in the control panel. It will probably be the largest (gauge) red wire under the panel. Black or White will be the corresponding minus side.
Jim Schings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:06 AM   #9

Exactly! It's a mod most people with tent trailers have. I like knowing exactly what my power state is. It gives me a better idea how long I need to run my generator for each day. The basic factory panel isn't enough imo.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:06 AM   #10

Jeff, The AC meter (which you do want also) tells you nothing about battery condition. Only gen or shore power voltage. When not on either the battery (12V) is critical.

BTW, It doesn't directly measure power CONSUMPTION. It just gives you a good indication of battery life left. (using a chart like this one.... : http://modernsurvivalblog.com/altern...-charge-chart/
Old 07-29-2015, 10:11 AM   #11

I thought the same thing in my last trailer. I tapped into the porch light (which comes from the panel) and compared the voltage readings from the newly installed lcd voltmeter and a handheld unit connected directly to the battery. Readings were the same. It's best to have it installed on something with a low draw like a propane detector. This will give the most accurate reading. For convenience sake I want it installed under my control center so I need to find the best place to tap in.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:15 AM   #12

redwolf, One other thing.... These digital meters are usually very accurate (better than 1%), but the best thing to do after install: Make sure your batt(s) are completely charged. Then with no other loads applied turn on a few internal lights for 4 or 5 mins. Then turn the lights off and check your reading on the meter. It should be 12.73. Some of these meters have a small pot for adjustment. If so, adjust to that voltage. If not, just keep in mind the variation. A voltage variation of .1 can be more than 10% of battery life.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:17 AM   #13

Great tip Jim! thks
Old 07-29-2015, 10:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Schings View Post
Redwolf, I would not use either of those wires, since I suspect they are both not hot unless the items they are powering are on. Plus, if that is the case you will be sampling power from a line that is loaded and may be down .1 or .2 volts from what the battery condition actually is. .2 Volts is a large percentage of battery life. You should try to find a 12 Volt supply line that goes directly to the control panel from the battery. There is definitely one in the control panel. It will probably be the largest (gauge) red wire under the panel. Black or White will be the corresponding minus side.
Never thought of that. Makes sense that they wouldn't be hot. So do you think the larger purple/white wire would be the main power supply to the panel?

Another thought. Will pulling the battery disconnect be safe enough to do the work or should I disconnect the battery cables?
Old 07-29-2015, 11:16 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolfpei View Post
So do you think the larger purple/white wire would be the main power supply to the panel?
Guessing here, but probably yes.

Quote:
Another thought. Will pulling the battery disconnect be safe enough to do the work or should I disconnect the battery cables?
Guessing some more.. Probably yes, I would disconnect the positive side of the battery first. I would hate to see you weld your wedding ring to the side of the RV...
Old 07-29-2015, 11:20 AM   #16

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Schings View Post
Guessing here, but probably yes.

Guessing some more.. Probably yes, I would disconnect the positive side of the battery first. I would hate to see you weld your wedding ring to the side of the RV...
Enough said..lol I was going to anyway
Old 07-29-2015, 01:20 PM   #17

My control panel is above my breaker/fuse center. I used an unused fuse holder and ran a wire to the input of the voltmeter installed above. The fuse center is fed by a no 6 wire from the battery and should have little voltage drop. I also put the voltmeter supply voltage on a switch as this becomes just another parasitic load when dry camping. As other have stated the voltmeter tells you a lot about the state of charge of your battery and will prevent you from over discharge and damage to the battery.
palmetto rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:23 PM   #18

A voltmeter tells you nothing useful about the state of your batteries IN USE except if they are flat dead or presently charging. if it reads 12.4 or such then you have no idea what the ACTUAL state of charge is unless it is reading after the batt has been disconnected from everything for 24 hours...even more importantly is cannot tell you when you have charged to100% ...and that is how batts get killed before their time.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:36 PM   #19

ok camaraderie educate me. Would a voltmeter that read 11.2v after boondocking a while and not charged and not currently under heavy load indicate to you. To me it says start the generator.
palmetto rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:46 PM   #20

I have a volt meter that I use to keep a close eye on them. Having it installed and available all of the time would be great!
Kansas Camper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo