Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2013, 12:21 PM   #1

w 23IKSS question

Hello,
I have a question, my wife pointed out on the way home Saturday that our new 23IKSS that we just did a walk through and completed all the paperwork on doesn't have the three drawer cabinet like the ones we saw locally and on line. The cabinet is to the left of the stove, ours just has two doors instead.
Now, we're new to the RVing world, is this something that manufactures do? or do I need to contact Forest River and ask them what happened or the dealer?
Any input from new 23IKSS owners would be helpful or anyone else for that matter.

Thank you
PS The dealer still has the unit, they will be delivering it this weekend
stardrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #2

Congrats...nice looking unit! When I went out to look, I see on the FR website in the gallery and virtual tour the 3 drawers just to the left of the stove. The manufacturers do make changes all the time during the production cycle. But it is worth asking about because otherwise I don't see any other drawers and would think there should be one somewhere for silverware and utensils.
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardrive View Post
Now, we're new to the RVing world, is this something that manufactures do? or do I need to contact Forest River and ask them what happened or the dealer?
Welcome!

Not a 23IKSS owner so can't tell you what they have or should have, but can tell you it is common and predictable that something(s) will have changed.

Typically, changes will occur in the spring and late summer. However, they can happen anytime. These changes might be small (cabinetry moved, deleted or added) or large (e.g., new decor colors or different table).

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #4

I pick up my 23ikss on Sat. this week and I just stopped in to the dealer and the only changes from 2013 to 2014 that he knew about was the latch system and the battery disconect being moved. He also told me that some of the new models of lites they were getting in had the led's under the awning wired in with the multi colors. He said they looked really sharp. He did not knmow if the 23ikss had them or not. Wow sure would be nice if it did!
ggrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:50 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies,
I think I’ll send a couple of e-mails enquiring about this change. Overall we’re really happy and excited, we had some pleasant surprises, all LED lights, a tempered glass top for the stove instead of the raised metal one, and large grab handle rather than the smaller one typically installed for the entry.
It won’t detract all from our excitement, particularly because SWMBO says it’s not a big deal.
Again, thanks
Keith
Old 04-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #6

yes we really like the latches, one of us "not gonna say" is only 5'2" so that was another pleasant suprise.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #7

I picked up mine last week and it didn't have the glasstop or handle next to door. Did they make an option with electric only stove? Neither is a big deal for us.

2011 GMC Sierra Denali 1500 6.2L (for towin')
2014 Roo 23IKSS (for campin')
2005 Monterey 180FS (for boatin')
Changes_In_Latitudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:36 PM   #8

It's not electric, it's propane but the cover is two piece tempered glass that sits flush with the counter intead of the raised two piece metal ones. We didn't see either of those as an option, we added the convenience package, raised pannel on the fridge, air bed and tire carrier and cover.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #9

We just picked up our 23IKSS Saturday. Bought it back in Feb at the RV show. Thought it was finally spring, so we scheduled the pickup. Friday was 70 degrees. Sat morning was 38 and 40mph wind gusts with snow flurries. Needless to say, the dealer skipped the awning demo. We did get to test the sway control on the way home. Towed nicely. Odd that your unit doesn't have the drawers. Ours does not have the glass top or the larger grab handle - both of which sound like nice improvements.

The LED's in the awning would be nice, too. The Palomino expandables list this as standard this year. I was leaning that way until the boss saw the island kitchen at the RV show. We weren't leaving without it. Nice upgrade after 13 years with the popup.

Kevin
KMP44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrady View Post
I pick up my 23ikss on Sat. this week and I just stopped in to the dealer and the only changes from 2013 to 2014 that he knew about was the latch system and the battery disconect being moved. He also told me that some of the new models of lites they were getting in had the led's under the awning wired in with the multi colors. He said they looked really sharp. He did not knmow if the 23ikss had them or not. Wow sure would be nice if it did!
That is to funny about the battery disconnect being moved on the 2014 models.....

I actually had to point out that the original location that they had it in wouldn't work and the Forest River Rep had to contact engineering and the design team to look at it......i was told that they were going to change the location on the line after i pointed it out.....
2004 Sun Tracker 27' Party Barge
epplebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by epplebee View Post
That is to funny about the battery disconnect being moved on the 2014 models.....

I actually had to point out that the original location that they had it in wouldn't work and the Forest River Rep had to contact engineering and the design team to look at it......i was told that they were going to change the location on the line after i pointed it out.....

When we were going through our demo Sat, the tech was explaining away about how the disconnect worked, and I asked him why they put there, since you would have to leave one of the slides out to get to it. He stopped and thought about and decided some bonehead engineer came up with that. Before we left the lot he came back over and said he checked into it and that the battery disconnect cut power to everything except the slide motors. So it supposedly will keep the battery from going dead and still allow you to move the slides.

Haven't tested that yet though.

Kevin
Old 04-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #12

I hadn't heard that one before and I am assuming if it was true, they wouldn't have relocated mine or any of the new ones. Mine was relocated to just under the TV right next to the radio/DVD player. I will post a picture when I get home.
2004 Sun Tracker 27' Party Barge
epplebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:45 PM   #13

I tried mine tonight. The slides didn't work with the battery shut off switch in the off position.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changes_In_Latitudes View Post
I tried mine tonight. The slides didn't work with the battery shut off switch in the off position.
I also tried it. The kitchen slide had no power, but the sofa/dinette slide did run in and out with the battery cut-off.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #15

That's interesting. I only tried the kitchen slide.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:42 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrady View Post
The factory awning lights are very cool. Mine are white LEDs and light up the entire side of the camper at night, if you choose to turn them on. Not sure I will always want to sit under the awning in simulated broad daylight at night, but it's great if you are expecting guests or returning to the camper after dark. A thousand times more effective than the orange porch light.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:15 PM   #17

Quote:
decided some bonehead engineer came up with that
I highly doubt it.

It's usually the bonehead BEAN COUNTERS. They don't want to spend the $$ to add the extra 3 feet of wire to put it where it ought to be.
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote