Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2012, 03:04 PM   #1

Was the rain a blessing or a curse?

I was so happy to have the new 233s home, finding where to put everything, adjusting what we "really" need to bring with us, leaving things out that we didn't really use. Then, once the fog cleared and it looked like it would be dry for awhile, decided to open up the beds.
Opened the rear bed first (since it didn't stick out in the street nor was it restricted by the power jack). UUGGHH! Out pours a bunch of water! Go inside to check the mattress and there are puddles in the bottom seam of the door and the mattress is soaked. Okay, take some pictures and clean up the water. Pull the mattress inside the camper to dry. Figure we better close up the bed for the night and DH was leaving for work. Start to close it up and ... Woah! I can hear water running right down the inside the door!
Made a call to the dealership we bought it from, but they closed at noon on Saturday (it was already 2:00). Made another call to an area Forest River Dealer to see if they would do the warranty work (they will, but have to call back Monday as they were just closing.)
So, do I look on this as a blessing - that we found out right away, or a curse - that it is leaking at all. So dissapointed as this is our first brand new trailer and the first one we are having leaking issues with.
Alisa06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:11 PM   #2

look at it as a positive thing - blessing in disguise
atleast it didnt happen while on the road.

Just make sure everything is dry and not put away wet and there shouldnt be any mold issues.

was there anything stuck in the sealing area like part of the canvas - that seems to be a big thing that happens with Hybrids

I do know that the canvas has to be seasoned by either getting wet with rain or hose and let dry to seal the seams - I think it states something to this in the manual.
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
Site Team

agree with sherdep about canvas getting caught in the seals.

wouldn't surprise me if the dealer's staff may have been in a hurry and trapped some canvas.

you need to close up the bunks, making sure no canvas is caught, and look inside to see if water is coming through the seals.
i would pull the other mattresses out to help you see. you'll have to lift up the canvas to look at the hinge area where the water will accumulate.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:40 PM   #4

Nope, don't think it was the canvas as this was one of the beds we helped close up. And the water is within the door frame itself, not running down the inside or outside, but within. Even after having the bed door open for several hours now, you can still see wetness on the pavement from where it continues to drip out. (Camper is on an incline, so the back bunk is the low spot)

Hopefully will be able to get this taken care of quickly. Decided to leave the bed open tonight, rather than risk more water accumulating. This should also take care of having to season the canvas on that bed.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #5

even though most of our RV's have been
no leakers
it is a good idea
after that first little rain of the season
to walk through and check for any wet spots
best to catch them
in the early stages
Mountainman
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:28 PM   #6

there are a lot of little secret locations where the water can get in and many of the locations are not discovered for years until the trailer start to delaminate or the floor start to get soft or black marks develops on the ceilings. It is a no fun afair!!! This is trailer life ( FOR YOUR MATTRESS SOAKED I WOULD ASK FOR A NEW REPLACEMENT. tHESE MATTRESS ARE HEATED AND IF SOAKED THEY CAN BE DANGEROUS TO USE AFTER. )
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:48 PM   #7

Well, finally have an answer to our leaking door issue. Took the camper to a local Forest River dealer and after waiting for a week, we now have 3 new doors and 3 new mattresses to look forward to. Of course, this will be in 3 - 5 weeks - Ouch! According to the dealership, when they called FR about the issues, they were told that yes indeed it was a (known) issue. That partway through manufacturing, they switched companies for the doors. Our camper appears to be the second one they made with the new doors and they did not work correctly. So, long story short, Forest River is standing behind their product. Just wish we could get everything repaired a little quicker.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:22 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry to hear about the 3-5 week wait but happy that they are taking care of it for you.

Are they doing the repairs at the dealer or sending it to the factory?

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:06 PM   #9

They will be doing the repairs at the dealer. They (the dealer) has already taken care of some of the smaller issues. They also said that if we wanted to go camping between now and then, to just let them know and we can come get the camper. Here's to hoping it is just 3 weeks and not 5!
Old 04-17-2012, 09:33 PM   #10

Good outcome, but what a bummer and a pain to deal with! Our new 233S is on order now. It is the new version with the new sealed tent flaps. I sure hope we dont have the same door problem. Thank you for sharing your unfortunate experience though, so we can keep an eye out for it as well.
Drieze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:24 PM   #11

Just wondering if this is a 2012 or 2013 as we just got our 2012 last month and had a little water in one bed but the dealer had left the canvas out a little and we have had no rain since. good luck with the repairs.
pony express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:24 PM   #12

Ours is a 2012 model. Hoping you don't have any issues with your new trailer. Now I'm concerned about water seeping into other areas (roof, walls, etc) since it had been in the doors, or if the doors were the only place. Guess it's a good thing we bought the extended warranty!
Old 04-18-2012, 03:42 PM   #13

We did to we need to bring it back for a repair to the fridge panel came crashing out when we opened the door. Hopefully we will get some rain by then as the dealer is two hrs away so we can get it all done at once. Good luck let me know. how you make out
Old 04-18-2012, 03:58 PM   #14

@Alisa06

Sorry to hear about your leak issue.

There have been a number of us 233s and 23ss owners with the bunk end leak issues right off of the dealer's lot.

More recently Cincy6 and myself. The both of us caught the issue during our PDI. We knew to look for leaks because of reading this forum.

Cincy6 has had their trailer back for a while and I believe is happy with the repairs. I go to pick mine up on Sat.

Here is hoping your repairs turn out fine

2020 Salem Cruise Lite 241QBXL
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn Eco-Diesel
Previous Trailer -> 2012 Rockwood Roo 233s
-> 1996 Jayco 1207
Barney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:02 PM   #15
Adventurer

pony express,

our fridge panel came crashing down as well on our 2012 233s. heading back to the dealer sat to ensure it stays put
Local Ohio CGs - West Branch SP
4kmprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:29 PM   #16

Our 2011 233s (bought new June 2010) is at FR having bunks taken care of. Ours did not leak while closed or while traveling (at least not that we've discovered) but was leaking through the seam where the windows met the bunk material (all 3 bunks). After 2 years of dealing with a couple of items not being fixed by the dealer, FR was quick to take it back to the factory. Just hoping it comes back fixed (and no new problems). FR is taking care of several items for us. Since June 2010 we've spent well over 60 nights camping. Get your stuff taken care of and then enjoy your camper...I think you'll love it. Good luck with yours...keep us posted, please.

2019 Vibe 261BHS
2021 RAM 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4
5.7L Hemi, 3.92 rear
Husky Centerline TS WD Hitch
Buckeyecmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:23 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyecmpr
Our 2011 233s (bought new June 2010) is at FR having bunks taken care of. Ours did not leak while closed or while traveling (at least not that we've discovered) but was leaking through the seam where the windows met the bunk material (all 3 bunks). After 2 years of dealing with a couple of items not being fixed by the dealer, FR was quick to take it back to the factory. Just hoping it comes back fixed (and no new problems). FR is taking care of several items for us. Since June 2010 we've spent well over 60 nights camping. Get your stuff taken care of and then enjoy your camper...I think you'll love it. Good luck with yours...keep us posted, please.
Who have you been talking with at FR?
baldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:06 PM   #18

I'm working now with Greg Rollins. So far very nice and very helpful. We'll see how it turns out.

2019 Vibe 261BHS
2021 RAM 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4
5.7L Hemi, 3.92 rear
Husky Centerline TS WD Hitch
Buckeyecmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #19

Just be careful they offered us the fix of dbl sided sticky tape to the door and we said no way as it was hours old and it didnt fit in right due to damage on the bottom of the thin wood piece breaking and the dimples in the plastic unable to hold it . so they are ordering the panel and the plastic strip i have marked both pieces and plan on watching the work myself. good luck to you
Old 04-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #20

rinky dink

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony express View Post

i have marked both pieces and plan on watching the work myself. good luck to you

watching them work
is hard to do at most repair places
and then some claim
they charge extra for that
easier for them to rinky dink
if no ones watching
Mountainman
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote