Old 07-08-2014, 02:54 PM   #11
On our furrion tv that came with our 23ss, there is a usb port on the left side but I'm not sure if it will play out video thru the port.

2014 Roo 23SS
2013 GM Sierra CC
Prodigy P3 Brake Controller
Equal-i-zer Hitch
Nites Camped 2016 -25
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:31 PM   #12
Site Team
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
iPad's don't have USB in. I do use that connector to watch digital copies of movies on the TV from the iPad but it has to already be loaded on the iPad. It wouldn't be able to read from a USB stick.

To the OP, you're either going to have to convert the movies back to disks, or have some kind of computer(or tablet) on hand to play the files. If you're adventurous, you could pick up a Raspberry Pi (Raspberry Pi) and use it to play from USB direct to the TV, but in reality a netbook would probably be the easier choice.
Sorry, when I asked DH how to make this work, he misunderstood what I was asking.

<a href= target=_blank></a>
2014 Crew Cab Chevy Silverado 3500 4wd Duramax/Allison
2014 Sabre 34REQS-6
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:46 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew
When I have internet I play HBO/Showtime from my laptop by HDMI to the TV.
Ed & Ruthann / Toby and Tucker
2014 GMC Sierra Crewcab 2500 Duramax
2014 Wildcat 327ck
2015 129 nites
2016 40 nites
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:12 PM   #14
Site Team
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
Sorry, when I asked DH how to make this work, he misunderstood what I was asking.
Sorry, I tend to skip ahead sometimes trying to quickly finish a message when the wife is calling.

So, basically you need to go:

USB -> Computer -> TV

The computer is what has the correct software to play your movies. The TV can't play them directly, nor can the Genesis.

To do this, you need a computer with some kind of video output. Most current laptops, netbooks and some tablets can output to HDMI. These are your best options as HDMI will support both the picture and the sound.

Then it's just a matter of hooking up an HDMI cable between the computer (laptop, netbook, tablet) and the TV and playing the files on the computer just like you would at home on your home computer.

If you don't want to have a big computer, then there's a community out there of little credit card sized computers referred to as "Raspberry Pi". This is where the adventurous part comes in. These little computers are not really plug and play. They can only run very simple applications and you'll have to know a thing or two about them and things like Linux before trying to use them.

However, if you have somebody teksavvy enough to set one up for you, you could get a tiny computer that does nothing put play the movies on your USB, and sends the movie to the TV over HDMI. Really, it's still just a computer, just like any laptop, netbook, desktop, etc... So it doesn't really give you anything extra, it's just really, tiny. Small enough to hide behind the TV kind of tiny.
There's no use crying over spilled milk, unless it's on your keyboard.
Kaadk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:58 AM   #15
I have an andriod tablet that has dvi out, usb slot and micro sd card slots. i keep about 30 movies on the tablet and connect the hdmi cable from the tablet to the tv. this gives me vidoe and sound through the system. Better than the ipad options
2013 Ram 1500 (5.7)
2014 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
Prothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:32 AM   #16
All of you are so full of information. Thank you for all your input. I will pass it on to hubby.
Jeff and Michele
with 3 kids (19, 16 and 11) and a new puppy
2015 Rockwood Roo 233s
Towing with 2007 Ford F150
Camping in Colorado
cropper127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:53 AM   #17
Site Team - Lou
Originally Posted by Carlosrod View Post
After you plug your flash drive, take tv remote and press Mode in order to change the input. You should have the option of playing directly from the USB port. Works for me.

"Live" so that when your children hear the words Ethics, Integrity or Honor, they would think of You.
Using the Gen 3 USB port can be problematic as much depends on the file format you saved the movies in AND how long the movie is. Much beyond 100 megabytes is too choppy to watch.

Using most TV USB ports have similar limitations; check your Television manual.

I use my laptop's HDMI output and a long cable to access my movie library.
If your laptop/iPad/Surface does not have an HDMI output, the TV does not have a VGA input for your laptop, an adapter box or cable can be used.

My old laptop did not have an HDMI output and the TV did not have a VGA input so I used a VGA to HDMI interface box (cheap; like 25 bucks).

StarTech HDMI to VGA Adapter Converter -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	USB drive.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	57700   Click image for larger version

Name:	USB drive 2.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	57701   Click image for larger version

Name:	USB drive 3.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	57702  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:40 AM   #18
Hello. I just bring along a hard drive with all my movies on it. The hard drive is a 1.5 gig and I hook it into my media player. I use a western digital player or a boxee box. I have both. The hard drive plugs into the media player and the media player plugs into the tv via the hdmi input. They both store flat behind the tv when we travel. No need to move them around.

Remember that you have to turn up the tv as you are bypassing the built in audio system all together. No more space consuming DVDs.

Happy camping.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Murray10 is offline   Reply With Quote