Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2011, 10:36 AM   #1

Water

Just recieved a new 21ss love it. We are haveing a problem the drinking water from the hose hookup so far tastes awful (bitter solvent) smell and taste I have run water through the system for about 30 min and it still has the taste. Its not coming from the hose or the house anyone any ideas??
Defoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:49 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defoe
Just recieved a new 21ss love it. We are haveing a problem the drinking water from the hose hookup so far tastes awful (bitter solvent) smell and taste I have run water through the system for about 30 min and it still has the taste. Its not coming from the hose or the house anyone any ideas??
It's most likely just leftover from construction.

Take your hose off from both the house and trailer drain the water out and pour about half a bottle of bleach in the hose. Make sure it doesn't run out the other end!

Hook it back up on both sides and then run all the faucets it the house alot. Just keep running water until the smell goes away. You will smell it in the drain. This will clean out everything. Just make sure to run enough water through it.

I have a builtin water filter I pull the filter out and put the bleach in there every spring when in clean out and run it. Helps clean out all the rust and stuff that accumulates from the parks
Mowat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #3
Site Team

are you using the white RV water hose for your supply?
and have you checked the water filter?
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:00 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowat View Post
Take your hose off from both the house and trailer drain the water out and pour about half a bottle of bleach in the hose.
Way to much bleach.

Anytime I use bleach in plastic, I use a diluted mixture.

To the OPer: Exactly where is the bad tasting water coming from ?? Is your hose hooked up to the city water connection, or are you using from the on-board fresh water tank ?? Not exactly sure from the original post.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #5

the bad water is not from the house it is definelty from the plumbing in the unit. I have the white RV hose connected to the house. I changed out the new water filter and have now flushed the system for 60 min bitter tatste/odor seem to have gone away \
Thanks
everyone
Defoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:29 PM   #6
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
I've had the problem a few times when switching to a new hose. Taste the water coming out of the hose at the camper end.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:07 PM   #7

we just got our 21SS to. I still have to sanatize the water tank as well. The manual says how much bleach to use. I think it was a few ounces for every 10 gallons.
Hybrid21SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:44 AM   #8

I guess I need to qualify what a half a bottle is.... lol

I use the small bottles the ones that you can hold in 1 hand not the gallon jug. It's probably 20 oz's or something like that. It is more than what is normal for the fresh water tank. But I am running it throughout the entire water system and it gets diluted once you put the water down the hose. I usually run enough water through the system to fill up both of my 40 gallon grey tanks and at least half of the black.
Mowat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:40 AM   #9

My 2012 Flagstaff Shamrock 19 manual calls for 1/4 cup liquid household bleach in a gallon of water for each 15 gallons of tank capacity. So, 1/2 cup bleach in 2 gallons of water for a 30 gallon tank capacity is about right. Fill the system to capacity with just more clean water and let sit for at least (3) hrs. Then drain all lines and tanks and flush with good quality drinking water.

I've also used baking soda or vinegar during the rinsing process to "sweeten" the taste and eliminate the chlorine odor.

Be sure to completely drain the water heater as well as the lines and tanks. Sometimes chlorine water will sit in the water heater and then get pumped into the lines with the flushing water.
HandymanCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:54 AM   #10

RV Basics has a good article here:
How to Sanitize Your RV Fresh Water System

"Dilute 1/4 cup of household bleach for each 15 gallons of tank capacity in to a gallon of water."

I use one cup per 50 gallons and that's close to too much of bleach.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:54 PM   #11

Better drink the water in bottles from spring water. I never drink the water from my trailer even if it has the inline filtration built in.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
expandable, hybrid, shamrock