Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2018, 10:26 PM   #1

Water Filter

We have a Roo 23KISS and cannot
locate the location of the water filter
LizVince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:58 PM   #2
WFD

You may not have one...not all models do. If it does...most often it is in the same cabinet/area as your water pump and access to bypass valves for hot water tank. Sometimes you actually have to remove screws on a hinge as it's sometimes behind a fake cabinet door.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:06 PM   #3
Site Team

As far as I know, water filters are still a standard item for Roo/Shamrock hybrids.
It's usually in the same cabinet as the water pump.
You'll have to unscrew a cabinet panel for access.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:48 AM   #4

The filter should be located behind the panel in the rear storage area bay.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forest River Forums mobile app
RachelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:52 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to BGinVA
On my 2015 IKSS access was through the rear cargo compartment on back of trailer next to the license plate holder. Once inside, you must remove a skirting panel that is screwed into the floor. Believe there are 3 screws. My panel was rather long extending across the width of the compartment. I could not remove the panel once unscrewed, only carefully maneuver it so that it was sitting on top of the furnace as far right as I could shove it. The water filter is now staring you in the face.

It can be fairly challenging to get your body, hands, tools, and the filter cartridge all aligned in the space available. Because of this, I removed the filter completely and used a steel braided 18" drop down line to reconnect the lines. An external filter is much easier to deal with.
BGinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:29 AM   #6

In our 21SS it is located in a fake cabinet under the closest.
It is also the same wall where the outside shower is located.
Hope that will help you locate yours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0981.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	236.7 KB
ID:	159944  
Lawlesszoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:51 AM   #7

Take a look at the pic above why do they put the filter in a place its so hard to reach and get to let alone to try and remove it
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:43 AM   #8

I agree, it was terrible getting to it and you definitely have to use the tool to turn it.
I had to lay on my stomach in the floor and got very pissed off before getting it to turn.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:57 AM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawlesszoo View Post
I agree, it was terrible getting to it and you definitely have to use the tool to turn it.
I had to lay on my stomach in the floor and got very pissed off before getting it to turn.
I won't argue it is in a very hard place to get to.

Some suggestions on removal of the FR1 filter...

Make sure you remove the water pressure from the system before attempting to remove the filter canister.

Second, the FR1 filter canister removes just a bit differently than a conventional filter canister. You have to push up slightly on the filter canister (it pushes up into the filter head ever so slightly) to disengage the locking teeth so it can then be unscrewed.

When reinstalling... turn the canister until the arrows on the head and the canister line up and then pull down slightly on the canister to engage the locking teeth.

You can see the teeth in the photo of the canister.
Also note the arrows are not aligned in the photo of the canister and head assembly.

CAUTION: You can use enough force to shear the plastic teeth off the canister using the wrench but without first pushing up on the canister. If you do this, you WILL have problems down the road with the canister coming off on its own!

Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fr1.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	159955  
Attached Images

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareftn View Post
Take a look at the pic above why do they put the filter in a place its so hard to reach and get to let alone to try and remove it
Weeks and weeks of planning. Meetings held just to determine where to put it in order to make it most difficult to service. They're following a tradition that started decades ago in the automobile market.

In reality, it's often a matter of space. Where would you put it where it's easy to service and still not take away from scarce storage space.

I'm considering just fabricating a stand alone filter unit that would stand on the ground between "hydrant" and city water inlet. A small "whole house" type with multi-stages. Something I could use even with a pump to fill my tank from a mountain creek and not worry about "Beaver Fever".

With the separate unit I can just pick it up and store in my TV and bring into heated garage during winter months. Something with filter elements that don't cost as much and are designed to filter many more gallons of water before replacement. Filters that are readily available at all the Big Box Stores, on the shelf.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:33 AM   #11

That is a great idea. I have just been getting the small inline filter that I connect to the source before my water line to the camper. Works fairly well, could use a few more filtration options though.
Let us all know what you fabricate, we will all want one too! 😀
Old 01-11-2018, 11:33 AM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Weeks and weeks of planning. Meetings held just to determine where to put it in order to make it most difficult to service. They're following a tradition that started decades ago in the automobile market.

In reality, it's often a matter of space. Where would you put it where it's easy to service and still not take away from scarce storage space.

I'm considering just fabricating a stand alone filter unit that would stand on the ground between "hydrant" and city water inlet. A small "whole house" type with multi-stages. Something I could use even with a pump to fill my tank from a mountain creek and not worry about "Beaver Fever".

With the separate unit I can just pick it up and store in my TV and bring into heated garage during winter months. Something with filter elements that don't cost as much and are designed to filter many more gallons of water before replacement. Filters that are readily available at all the Big Box Stores, on the shelf.
Many of us have done this very thing.
Remove the on-board filter assembly and by doing so, remove the possibility of a water disaster inside the rig and eliminate the high cost of the propitiatory KW1 cartridges.

I install mine at the hydrant and it filters everything, including that in my hose and any water I put in the fresh tank.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:38 PM   #13
Canadian Member

It seems like a lot of FRF members have opted to remove the OEM WaterPur filter housing and use one outside (or not at all). If you're going to switch to an external filter housing, you'll need to buy a canister that's not clear like the one on the OEM WaterPur housing. Exposing the still water sitting in the clear housing to sunlight can promote bacteria growth. Fortunately my filter is not as difficult to access as it apparently is in the 23IKSS so I left mine in. You can go to Home Depot or Lowes to buy a whole house filter housing or RVWaterFilterStore.com
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:44 PM   #14

2 pack inline filter at the hose bib. Next.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:53 PM   #15

Don’t lose
LizVince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:22 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
It seems like a lot of FRF members have opted to remove the OEM WaterPur filter housing and use one outside (or not at all). If you're going to switch to an external filter housing, you'll need to buy a canister that's not clear like the one on the OEM WaterPur housing. Exposing the still water sitting in the clear housing to sunlight can promote bacteria growth. Fortunately my filter is not as difficult to access as it apparently is in the 23IKSS so I left mine in. You can go to Home Depot or Lowes to buy a whole house filter housing or RVWaterFilterStore.com
People say a clear water filter promotes bacteria growth but yet will stop at a gas station or store and buy a case of bottle water that sits in the sun for. me never
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:32 AM   #17

I use the blue twin pack water filters you can get a wallyworld . But I was always under the impression that UV light (sunlight) killed certain types of bacteria.
Charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:11 PM   #18

Oh man, I wish I had read this before the sales guy sold me on getting the UV Sun ray purifier for my hot tub. He told me the UV light kills the bacteria.

Tags
water, water filter