Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2015, 04:28 PM   #1

Water Filter in 23IKSS

Hello,

So my DW has been reading the threads and is concerned that the in-line water filter will leak in our camper. We haven't even used it yet other then to sleep for a few hours on the drive home, but she has seen post from others saying it leaked from the get go. So I want to take a look at it and put water into the lines here at home to check it out, but I can't find it. I thought it would be behind the service panel below the entertainment system in the early 2016 floor plan, but it's not. I also tried looking behind the panel underneath the bathroom sink to no avail. That actually lead me to another problem. It looks like the hose connected to the outside flush connector is too short and is kinked.

Can someone tell me where to look for this thing, and what your over experience and opinion of them is.

Thanks

2006 Ford F150 Lariet Crew 4x4
2013 Ford Expedition Limited 4x2
2016 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS

AlariWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:41 PM   #2

Rear door next to the spare tire. There are 2 panels. Short one on the left covers the water tank valves. The long panel (looking straight ahead) covers the water filter. Detach each with a phillips head (2 screws to the floor for each panel). You will also see the water pump.

To remove the water filter requires a plastic wrench which should have come with your camper. Have the pump turned off and open a couple water faucets (this is to relieve the suction in the lines). I personally have not had a problem. I did attach electricians tape between the filter canister and the housing in case the canister decided to creep open, Other threads have suggested getting all moisture out of the canister/housing before winterizing to prevent freezing water from starting a crack. Many others have removed the filter all together.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:47 PM   #3

Just noticed your location. Guess winterizing isn't a big concern for you. Welcome to the forum. The 231KSS is a great camper that should give you many years of enjoyment.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYCamper View Post
Rear door next to the spare tire. There are 2 panels. Short one on the left covers the water tank valves. The long panel (looking straight ahead) covers the water filter. Detach each with a phillips head (2 screws to the floor for each panel). You will also see the water pump.

To remove the water filter requires a plastic wrench which should have come with your camper. Have the pump turned off and open a couple water faucets (this is to relieve the suction in the lines). I personally have not had a problem. I did attach electricians tape between the filter canister and the housing in case the canister decided to creep open, Other threads have suggested getting all moisture out of the canister/housing before winterizing to prevent freezing water from starting a crack. Many others have removed the filter all together.
And now you know — the best part of the story
Old 10-20-2015, 04:54 PM   #5

I'm one who removed it. The plastic housing split on us while camping earlier this year. Water ran into the camper under the bathroom wall. What you do is obviously up to you, but I personally don't trust them. One sharkbite connector and the offending POS was history. I've been filling the tank at home because we normally don't travel more than a couple hours away, but I will be buying a hose end filter before next year.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:49 PM   #6

i have the 2015 23 ikss and mine didn't leak a drop all summer. 40 day,s camping sad to put it to bed for the winter. i did drain all the lines and made sure there was no water in the filter housing. our winters up here in Barrie (north of toronto) do get cold (Very cold). i trust it.
muskoka01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:05 PM   #7

Thanks for all the replies. I'll have to get out there tomorrow in the day light and take a look at it and see if it leaks at all. I guess it's probably a good idea to just run a bunch of water through it all anyway. I don't know if the dealer did that or not. To be honest, we were so tired and concerned about getting back on the road to Florida that I didn't think to ask them.

2016 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS

Old 10-20-2015, 06:29 PM   #8

For what it's worth, mine didn't leak the first year either. It was winterized by the selling dealer who also performed a couple minor repairs. Good luck with your decision.
2013 Ram 1500
Old 10-20-2015, 06:33 PM   #9

I have another question I never asked the dealer that maybe you folks can help with. The unit we purchased happen to come with heated tanks. So where we camp we mostly will never have to worry about using them, but we are thinking about taking it to Boone NC or Townsend TN for Christmas. Does anyone know how to use them? My control panel by the door doesn't have anything for the tanks. Just lights and slides.

Thanks again in advance....

2016 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS

Old 10-20-2015, 07:03 PM   #10

Hmmm, I live in Indiana and don't have heated tanks....you're in Florida and do. What's wrong with this picture?
2013 Ram 1500
Old 10-20-2015, 07:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jking46 View Post
Hmmm, I live in Indiana and don't have heated tanks....you're in Florida and do. What's wrong with this picture?
Lol...didn't want them...just had it.

I just figured them out though so I am good.

2016 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS

Old 10-21-2015, 02:55 PM   #12

I have a 2013 and the water filter housing came loose (i guess), separated, and flooded my trailer. I ended up sending it back to the factory for repair. Luckily I had insurance. I don't know why it was loose. I didn't use it enough to ever change the filter. Just make sure it is tight . i took the filter out and just have a coupler there now. i use a filter on the hose I hook up at the campgrounds. I live in Florida also and it has never been in freezing weather.
hughj555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:22 AM   #13

I did a pressure test yesterday and made sure it wasn't leaking. It all worked ok. I put the filter in and flushed the system for a while. I can say at this point that I think the Filter is a great thing, but it's in the totally wrong spot. It's not easy to get to and just trying to unscrew it means you need to try and hold some kind of bowl underneath to catch all the water that comes out. Seems like they need to put it somewhere that is easier to access and maybe has some kind of built in catch and drain. I have decided to pull mine out as soon as I can. Technically I am probably good for the next year, but I still want to pull it.

2016 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS

Tags
water, water filter