Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2014, 10:19 PM   #1

Water heater

When we did our PDI we were told the water heater worked on both gas and elec. We have run it on gas just fine but can't figure out how to run it on elec. Supposedly we can use both at the same time to get hot water faster. Anyone help with this? Thanks.
Ncgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:28 PM   #2

Go outside of your trailer and open the access panel to the water heater. Down low, on the left side as you face it, and hidden in behind some other hardware, is a little black electric switch. That's where you turn it on for electric operation.

Crazy, I know...
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:28 PM   #3

There should be a switch on the outside. Remove the panel and look on the left side and turn that on. The 12v switch should also be on.
cowbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:32 PM   #4

Thanks for the info. We'll check it out in the morning.
Ncgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:43 PM   #5
Site Team

why didn't your PDI tech show you where the electric switch was, instead of just telling you that you have an electric side to the WH?

another example of a poor PDI when they don't show the customer such a basic and important feature of the RV.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:50 PM   #6

Don't forget to turn the electric switch off after you are done (at least that is what we do).

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Camped for 12 nights in 2015 - too many cancellations
Camped for 25 nights in 2014!
Camped for 24 nights in 2013!
RedStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:10 PM   #7
kpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
why didn't your PDI tech show you where the electric switch was, instead of just telling you that you have an electric side to the WH?

another example of a poor PDI when they don't show the customer such a basic and important feature of the RV.
Well Put. While my tech was good and helpful, he was new and missed a lot of things. He did use a checklist, but he missed things that I needed to know like the manual over ride for slide out operation. As simple as that sounds, as a new owner I had no idea where it was until I figured it out myself.

I had no idea about that electric switch. I've read most of my manuals and probably over looked it.

Thanks for this information. Now I know about it!
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpm View Post
Well Put. While my tech was good and helpful, he was new and missed a lot of things. He did use a checklist, but he missed things that I needed to know like the manual over ride for slide out operation. As simple as that sounds, as a new owner I had no idea where it was until I figured it out myself.

I had no idea about that electric switch. I've read most of my manuals and probably over looked it.

Thanks for this information. Now I know about it!
Do not turn the power to the heater on without water in the tank.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:01 PM   #9
kpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Do not turn the power to the heater on without water in the tank.
10-4
Thanks for the reminder.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:05 PM   #10

I leave the switch on the outside in the "ON" position and operate it electrically from the inside control panel. If you're in a hurry to heat up the water, use both electric and gas. We run usually run it on electric and let the CG pay for the power.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:31 PM   #11
kpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by amxpress View Post
I leave the switch on the outside in the "ON" position and operate it electrically from the inside control panel. If you're in a hurry to heat up the water, use both electric and gas. We run usually run it on electric and let the CG pay for the power.

So how does it default to electric if the gas is turned on as well? So the wall switch is the master switch I am assuming. I guess my question is does the water heater default to electric if the switch is always on?
Old 06-29-2014, 09:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpm View Post
So how does it default to electric if the gas is turned on as well? So the wall switch is the master switch I am assuming. I guess my question is does the water heater default to electric if the switch is always on?
As originally outfitted, Yes
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:50 PM   #13

It doesn't exactly "default" to electric, as your refrigerator does once you plug into shore poser. The water heater can run on gas only, even if you are plugged in at the campground, or on electric only, or on both if you want to heat the water pretty quickly. User's choice, not a "default" system at all.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post
It doesn't exactly "default" to electric, as your refrigerator does once you plug into shore poser. The water heater can run on gas only, even if you are plugged in at the campground, or on electric only, or on both if you want to heat the water pretty quickly. User's choice, not a "default" system at all.
I had the electric thermo fail once. I noted it was set to close at 10 deg. less than the gas stat. That's the "automatic or default" means of elec. before gas.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:18 AM   #15

I'm confused. Maybe I'm missing something. How do you run it on both? I'm assuming you have the electric switch on the water heater turned on and the heater switch on the panel turned on?
If so, then how do you run on only electric? Same setup with the propane tanks turned off is the only thing I can think of. That doesn't seem very convenient for using the other appliances.
liquidicem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:54 AM   #16

If you want to utilize only electricity to the hw heater, flip the switch outside for electric. If you want gas and electricity, flip the switch outside for electric and the inside switch for gas.

We've never run both personally but we are a family of three plus the dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Camped for 12 nights in 2015 - too many cancellations
Camped for 25 nights in 2014!
Camped for 24 nights in 2013!
RedStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post

QFT!!

One note on electric water heating...it is slower than propane. If you have a lot of folks taking showers and so forth you may want to leave it on propane.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:31 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

To clarify a little, if you have the electric switch on the outside and are on shore power, the wh will heat with electric. If you leave the electric switch on the outside on and connected to shore power, you can flip the switch on the inside control panel on and the gas will also come on with the electric to heat the water faster. If you leave both switches in the on position and unhook from shore power, the gas will heat by itself. There is NO automatic default to electric. Just make sure that you always have water in the water heater tank regardless of whether you are on electric or gas or both.

Tags
heater, water, water heater