Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2011, 11:47 AM   #1

Water heater wont automatically relight

I have a new Roo 21bh. We took our second trip in it last week and had an issue with the water heater automatically relighting. When we first turn on the switch it lights with no problem. However, as we use the hot water and the water heater is supposed to relight it won't and the red light comes on at the panel. I can smell gas and hear it going through the light sequence but for some reason it won't ignite. If I turn off the switch and let it sit for a couple of minutes then turn the switch back on it will light.

Water also seems very hot. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
rjohns10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:46 PM   #2

I experienced this same problem last year. I cleaned the 12 volt connections and have'nt had a problem since. It could have been air in the gas line though, I didn't give it time to develop a pattern of not igniting.

First go outside, open your water heater inspection door and watch as it attempts to re-light; you may discover the problem visually. (Strong spark?) While your cleaning the 12 volt connections make sure you don't have insect nests or webs causing a problem. But, I doubt that that is your problem since you can ignight by shutting system down and then turning back on.

Let us know your fix, we all learn together.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:54 PM   #3

Where are the 12 volt connections?
Old 07-07-2011, 01:12 PM   #4

Make sure your water heater is turned OFF.

Find your water heater inspection door and open it. You'll see your pilot light/burner tube and a bunch of wires.

Follow each wire to where it connects. pull each connection lose, clean both ends. Use emery cloth or fine sandpaper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water heater.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	6726  
Old 07-07-2011, 01:45 PM   #5

I've had the same problem with my new Georgetown. The coach is currently in the shop for warranty fixes, including the hot water heater. I'll let you know if they find anything.

Gary Shapiro, 2011 Georgetown 29' Class A
Dash, Molly & Lily - now at the Bridge and forever in my heart
Shadow - 4-year-old Greyhound
Hannah - 1 1/2-year-old GSD rescue
dashonthedash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:54 PM   #6

I tried cleaning the connections. That did not fix the problem but thanks for the suggestion.