Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2011, 07:22 PM   #1

Water in my camper!

Hello again helpful people. We purchased our first camper this year and lately I have noticed that the cushions near the front pop out are a little wet. We have had some heavy rains here lately. I haven't been able to find exactly where the water is coming from. With winter creeping up I am really worried that I will have some serious issues with the snow sitting on it. We haven't found any available indoor storage units. Would it be a bad idea to put a tarp or cover over it? If yes then what would you recommend?
chadweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:14 PM   #2

I have a Salem Ultralite and had the same problem. I had a leak at the front and it soaked my cushions. The water was actually dripping from one of the staple holes in the ceiling plywood. I checked the roof and found a small area at the front where the sealant missing. Looks like they just overlooked this one corner where water would puddle a little when the trailer was level.

I don't know if your trailer is like mine as far as the area in the front puddling, but if it is you may be able to keep the rear a little lower to prevent the water from puddling at the front.
Eric F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:33 PM   #3

Under no circumstances use a tarp as any wind blowing will whip and bang against side of trailer and make permenent damage to the side and top of the trailer. I know because I put one over my old trailer scraped off some paint and broke one skylight. If you want to use a cover use one made for it. they can be a little expensive sometimes but worth it the only other problem can be putting them on.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:51 PM   #4

You could always use a portable garage that is made for a RV.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:18 PM   #5

Do you guys leave yours outside during the winter?
Old 09-23-2011, 11:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadweasel View Post
Do you guys leave yours outside during the winter?
We leave ours outside. I cover the AC to keep the bugs out is all. We gets lots of snow here and have never had a problem. As other members have pointed out, "have you ever seen a covered trailer on a sales lot?"

However, I would be concerned about that water leak. Nothing destroys a trailer faster than a water leak. Get the leak fixed, do a good job on winterizing and don't worry about the winter.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:46 PM   #7
Site Team

first, is your Shamrock still under warranty?
second, did this happen when setup or closed up?
third, did you check to see if canvas or bungees got caught in the seals? this is a common mistake with new owners.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:27 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

^^^ X2

Can you tell us a little more about your trailer? I looked back on your other posts and see that its a 2001 19' trialer and I assume its a Shamrock hybrid.

I believe there was a history of door seal issues way back when and that might be the problem. Also, it could be user-error when its being closed up.

Any more details?

And, I wouldn't use the blue plastic tarps you sometimes see. That would most likely exasperate the problem.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
^^^ X2

Can you tell us a little more about your trailer? I looked back on your other posts and see that its a 2001 19' trialer and I assume its a Shamrock hybrid.

I believe there was a history of door seal issues way back when and that might be the problem. Also, it could be user-error when its being closed up.

Any more details?

And, I wouldn't use the blue plastic tarps you sometimes see. That would most likely exasperate the problem.
It is a 01 19' Shamrock hybrid. It could be a door seal issue I guess but I assure you it is closed up tight. I noticed the problem a few weeks ago also and the wife and I opened it up and then buttoned it up tight.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:06 PM   #10
Site Team

for that old of a hybrid, if the seals are original, you're lucky it has lasted this long without leaking.

for seals that old, permanent compression may be an issue.
the seals are probably not sealing as well.

i would inspect the seals very closely.

that or the seals around the clearance lights, above the bunk door, may have been compromised.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:43 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Chadweasel,

If I were you, I would take the following steps:

1. Check the lights as suggested by Dan. You can search for posts on this site for issues people have had to see if you are experiencing the same thing.
  2. Check the hinge area as that has also caused some people problems.
  3. Check the seams in the roof above your bunk and reseal as necessary.
  4. Look at the seals around your bunk and check their integrity. It might help for you to read through this thread regarding the Forest River HTT Bunkend Field Fix Kit.
Best of luck and post your progress.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
expandable, hybrid, shamrock