Old 09-21-2014, 09:57 PM   #1

Water leak and bunk questions

This past weekend when camping my husband and I notice water leaking from under the camper. The water was coming from the floor and down the metal skirt right behind the rear tire. We removed the false wall in the bathroom under the sink and noticed water under there and it was almost like someone splashed water around all the pipes and wires. We never turned the campground water off but couldn't find any leaks even after drying. It was enough water to soak thru the floor and out the camper so I'm a bit worried and confused. The day before it rained on the way to the campgrounds and light rain all night long. But the water leak happened at the end of a dry day.
We do use a pressure regulator on hose.

Bunk questions:
I'm concerned also about the bunks getting water damage while camping in a rain storm. How do you seal the door frame under the canvas? I wish so much FR would have kept the skirt concept that went over the door frame like in the older models. Now water just pools in the rear door frame.
Look at this picture. Looks like a perfect place for water intrusion.

While traveling in the rain our front bunk leaked again even after new seals.
For a new camper is very high maintenance.
Hoping we can figure this out. And keep water out.

ParrishCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:13 PM   #2

Don't feel bad. My wife and I just picked up our Brand new 2015 Roo 183 today and the front bunk was leaking while we were in it in the driveway. Very pissed and disappointed.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:03 PM   #3

I feel real bad thinking the camper won't last the payments.
Trying to figure out a way to keep water out of the front bed while traveling and off the door frame while camper.
I love the hybrid concept and want to keep the camper for a long time.
ParrishCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:39 PM   #4

Our 2013 Roo 183 has the same bunk and tenting as yours and we have never had a leak, open, closed, driving, or parked. So keep the faith that it can be corrected. I would try to isolate the source of the leak myself before taking it back to the dealer. I believe the water that collects in the hinge area should drain through the hinge, which is outside the wall and not inside. If leaking through the fabric then you have not seasoned it properly. There are plenty of threads on the subject (no pun intended). Good luck and let us know what you find.
2012:1042/13 2013:2772/27
2014:2259/30 2015:1644/20
2016:1278/23 2017:2183/22
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:51 PM   #5

The photo shows the plastic trim piece that covers where the bunk frame meets at the corners. You can see that the trim piece is thicker than the door itself. On our Roo I noticed that trim was making a depression in the door seal, and in a couple places was pushing the seal away from the door and preventing it from fully sealing. Look at your seals at the corners and see if you can tell where that corner trim is making a depression and possibly allowing water to enter. Although ours never leaked I shaved those edges down to be flush with the door and made sure all those little cracks where the door parts come together were caulked over. I even sealed the rivet heads with caulk.
2012:1042/13 2013:2772/27
2014:2259/30 2015:1644/20
2016:1278/23 2017:2183/22
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:18 AM   #6

there are 2 more options for the leaking while door is closed. I havr seen one post on here of pvc pipe with a quarter cut out and slid over the opening. I am going to try this soon. I also have gutters on order thst will stick out beyond thr door and keep rain from directly hitting the seals. if you are worried abiut under the hinge area, have you thought about a towel or something? just a thought off the top of my head
DD (3 year)
DS (6 months)
ficksters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 04:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficksters View Post
there are 2 more options for the leaking while door is closed. I havr seen one post on here of pvc pipe with a quarter cut out and slid over the opening. I am going to try this soon. I also have gutters on order thst will stick out beyond thr door and keep rain from directly hitting the seals. if you are worried abiut under the hinge area, have you thought about a towel or something? just a thought off the top of my head

Where did you order the gutters you mention?

Curious about them!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2013 Rockwood Roo 183L
2012 Toyota Tundra CrewMax
olwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficksters View Post
Try slitting garden hose and using it in place of the PVC pipe. I have used this method for 2 years now. Easier to make and store and you can travel with it in place. But a high quality, flexible 5/8 inch hose.

cpd1343 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water, water leak