Old 05-27-2015, 02:21 PM   #11
V-Nose Newbie
There's some good advice here. I agree that tank level indicators are notorious liars and for the most part are undependable. They are fine for getting a quick check but you should never rely on them for accuracy.

Best thing to do is get familiar with your camper and develop a dumping routine. I don't rush when I dump and always to a through job but because I have a routine that I have practiced, I can move through the steps very efficiently and not feel I'm holding up those waiting behind me. Dumping is an important task and needs to be done well!

Living and loving life,

Dave, Sue and Peanut the wonder dog
davidl1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:44 PM   #12
Originally Posted by wharfrat48 View Post
I never trust the tank sensors. If you think you got most of the stuff out of the tanks, then you most likely did. Some have suggested a bag of ice into the toilet for the ride home. The ice will bang around in the tank and clean off stuff sticking to the walls.

Perhaps if you are in an accident and roll over multiple times with the ice in the tank.

Do Ice Cubes in the RV Black Tank Really Work?

iowasparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 04:54 PM   #13
Lots of good advise in this thread. I wouldn't trust the tank level indicators as they are notoriously unreliable. We're on our fourth fifth (that doesn't sound right but it is technically accurate) and all of the indicators in each of them were an estimate at best. I can't really comment on our latest one because we've only used it once but our previoust one did exactly what you said yours did i.e. showed 1/3 full after dumping but a couple of hours later showed empty. After you've used your rig a few times you'll get to know pretty well how accurate they are.

Dump station etiquette is something that you were obviously concerned about. Many people are not that considerate. Good on you but remember that you have as much right to be there as anyone. Just do what you have to do and then move on. That's all anyone can reasonably ask.

Remember, good judgement comes from experience and experience frequently comes from bad judgement. Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Cheers &
2015 Silverback 29IK
2010 Silverado 3500HD LTZ
6.6 Duramax / Allison 1000
2015 nights camped - 42
Flatlander49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:43 AM   #14
Saw the mention about using Calgon water softener to clean the black water tank. I also use a cup of standard clothes washing detergent. Prefer to do this with 2/3 tank of new water and slosh while driving to next stop. Never fails.!!
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:02 AM   #15
Do a google search for RV GEO method. Lots of good advice there about how to maintain and dump tanks.

mbCik is offline   Reply With Quote

black, dump, septic, water, grey water