Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2015, 12:41 PM   #1

Water level indicators after dumping

We just returned from our first outing with our 2016 Roo 183. Overall, we are very happy with it. No real problems that weren't overcome easily.

When we were leaving the campground (along with a huge line of other post-memorial weekend campers), we dumped our black/grey water tanks. It was my first time doing it and I was nervous about taking too long and upsetting fellow campers (nothing like being watched by what felt like hundreds of eyes while I do an important task for the first time). So, I dumped the black tank until I think it stopped draining (I have a clear elbow, but didn't take the extra 30 seconds to attach it to the hose). Then I flushed with the grey tank until empty. Both tanks showed 2/3 full before dumping. I did not use the black water tank flush...again, because I felt like I was taking too long.

When we arrived home, I wanted to put fresh chemicals in the tanks and fill with a couple gallons of water. However, both of the tanks were still reading 1/3 full! Maybe I didn't completely dump the tanks?? Today, I found a local dump station and was getting ready to hook the trailer back up to do a more thorough job (and also flush the tanks).

Before pulling out of the driveway, I check the tank levels again and they are now reading empty?? Could the sensors already be getting fouled up? For the most part, we only used the toilet for #1 and my kids used it twice for an emergency #2 (using RV toilet paper). I don't think the sensors would be affected by that.

Anyway, thanks for reading my long rambling post. What do you guys suggest? Should I just put fresh chemicals in and call it good until we use the trailer again next month? Should I go ahead and play it safe and fill/re-dump and use the black tank flush (taking my time to ensure it's done correctly)?

Thanks!
ebcobra93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:36 PM   #2

Your tanks will read differently depending on how the trailer is setting in reference to level.

2009 Rockwood 2701SS
2008 Tundra Crewmax 5.7
bob7794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:40 PM   #3
Site Team

Read posts here for a couple of days and you'll realize tank level indicators are notorious liars. When your sensors dry out a little, indicators are closer to being right.

Sent (I think)

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob7794 View Post
Your tanks will read differently depending on how the trailer is setting in reference to level.
Thanks. That's a good thing to keep in mind. But, the trailer wasn't moved between the time the tanks read 1/3 and now empty.

I think I'm going to play it safe and fill and redump. I can do it for free not too far from my house...just have the hassle of hooking up again and then re-parking when I get home.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebcobra93 View Post
Thanks. That's a good thing to keep in mind. But, the trailer wasn't moved between the time the tanks read 1/3 and now empty.

I think I'm going to play it safe and fill and redump. I can do it for free not too far from my house...just have the hassle of hooking up again and then re-parking when I get home.
Before you go do a re-dump, run a water hose to your black tank flush or even fill the tank from above at the toilet. If you have some Calgon water softener, pour some in the tank. As you drive, the solution will slosh around and you will get a more complete dump. Hmmm, that's an odd way of putting it!

I know you were in a hurry yesterday, but if you can, pour about 3 gallons of water back into your tank(from above) after you have dumped at the dump station. You can even mix a half bottle of chemical with it along with some Calgon. That will keep things from sticking to the sides/sensors.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:06 PM   #6

You may have just had a piece of toilet paper touching a sensor follow the directions others have mentioned
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
Before you go do a re-dump, run a water hose to your black tank flush or even fill the tank from above at the toilet. If you have some Cao lgon water softener, pour some in the tank. As you drive, the solution will slosh around and you will get a more complete dump. Hmmm, that's an odd way of putting it!

I know you were in a hurry yesterday, but if you can, pour about 3 gallons of water back into your tank(from above) after you have dumped at the dump station. You can even mix a half bottle of chemical with it along with some Calgon. That will keep things from sticking to the sides/sensors.
Thanks. I had not heard about using water softener in the tank, but I have read about others using a small amount of dish detergent (if they'll be driving before dumping) so it sloshes around and helps clean the inside of the tank.

I'm still not sure why the sensors read differently from day to day without any movement of the trailer, but probably just inaccuracies with the sensor. Also, I had just finished pulling the trailer, so it's possible the sensor was still wet from the remaining water moving around.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:47 AM   #8

I never trust the tank sensors. If you think you got most of the stuff out of the tanks, then you most likely did. Some have suggested a bag of ice into the toilet for the ride home. The ice will bang around in the tank and clean off stuff sticking to the walls.
wharfrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:55 AM   #9
Site Team

In every trailer we've ever owned- you could look down the potty with a
flashlite and see if the black tank was MT or not....
If you think the gray tank has water in it- put a 5 gallon bucket under it
and pull the handle! If the bucket get's a gallon or less, consider that normal.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:25 AM   #10

Thanks all. I just finished filling and dumping at the local State Park (free, with the annual park pass). The use of the clear elbow, although not pretty to see, really helps to ensure the tanks are drained. I'll be sure to take the time to always use it in the future. And, now that I've gained experience from doing it twice, I won't feel so rushed next time.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:21 PM   #11
V-Nose Newbie

There's some good advice here. I agree that tank level indicators are notorious liars and for the most part are undependable. They are fine for getting a quick check but you should never rely on them for accuracy.

Best thing to do is get familiar with your camper and develop a dumping routine. I don't rush when I dump and always to a through job but because I have a routine that I have practiced, I can move through the steps very efficiently and not feel I'm holding up those waiting behind me. Dumping is an important task and needs to be done well!

Dave, Sue and Peanut the wonder dog
davidl1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharfrat48 View Post
I never trust the tank sensors. If you think you got most of the stuff out of the tanks, then you most likely did. Some have suggested a bag of ice into the toilet for the ride home. The ice will bang around in the tank and clean off stuff sticking to the walls.

Perhaps if you are in an accident and roll over multiple times with the ice in the tank.

Do Ice Cubes in the RV Black Tank Really Work?
iowasparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 04:54 PM   #13

Lots of good advise in this thread. I wouldn't trust the tank level indicators as they are notoriously unreliable. We're on our fourth fifth (that doesn't sound right but it is technically accurate) and all of the indicators in each of them were an estimate at best. I can't really comment on our latest one because we've only used it once but our previoust one did exactly what you said yours did i.e. showed 1/3 full after dumping but a couple of hours later showed empty. After you've used your rig a few times you'll get to know pretty well how accurate they are.

Dump station etiquette is something that you were obviously concerned about. Many people are not that considerate. Good on you but remember that you have as much right to be there as anyone. Just do what you have to do and then move on. That's all anyone can reasonably ask.

Remember, good judgement comes from experience and experience frequently comes from bad judgement. Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Cheers &
6.6 Duramax / Allison 1000
Flatlander49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:43 AM   #14

Saw the mention about using Calgon water softener to clean the black water tank. I also use a cup of standard clothes washing detergent. Prefer to do this with 2/3 tank of new water and slosh while driving to next stop. Never fails.!!
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:02 AM   #15

Do a google search for RV GEO method. Lots of good advice there about how to maintain and dump tanks.
mbCik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, dump, septic, water, grey water