Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2014, 05:36 PM   #1

Water Pressure question

our most recent camping trip we had the water hooked up,
I also used my water pressure regulator on the hose just before entering the Camper.
does everybody use one?
the water pressure seemed to be pretty low, shower head didn't seem to be able to (Spread) the water . if that makes sense. seems like another 5 or 10 pounds of pressure would have made a big difference, but would it cause the seals to leak?
Camping fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:12 PM   #2

I don't always use my regulator as I also carry a guage. The guage ( you can get one in the lawn sprinkler dept of Home Depot) tells me what I am dealing with. You could have had low pressure at the campsite or you could have some debris in your lines upstream of screens. I saw a guy on YouTube test his home water and it was120 psig. Normal should be 30 -40 psig. If I'm not over 50 i forget the regulator.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
richl167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:18 PM   #3
DDC

I don't own one and I have never been in a campground where I could complain about the pressure being anything but too low.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:31 PM   #4

I need to run by Home Depot and get a gauge. I always start using the regulator, then if I don't have enough pressure I take the regulator off and use the water without one, not really knowing how much pressure I really have. Probably not the best thing to do. I also get nosy while walking through the campground. I look for campers using surge suppressors and water regulators. I see a lot of people not using either. Kinda of unusual I think.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:40 PM   #5

I think that is the answer, to get a gauge,
so under 50 is considered "Safe" ?
I will give it a try and see what happens, next trip is in 2 1/2 weeks,
Camping fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:54 PM   #6

On new RV,s (like mine) using PEX, I think 100 psig is considered safe. Having said, and since I'm paranoid about water damage, I use the regulator to knock things down to around 40 psig. If necessary. "Conservative" May be a better term than safe. I also shut water off at the tap when we leave and turn back on when we return. 40 psig is plenty for shower, faucets, etc. You could probably do without a regulator, but I carry one. Check the forum for water filter housings that have spun off and leak. I use an external filter and plan to bypass the factory unit when I get a chance. Besides, the accessibility of the factory filter sucks !

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
richl167 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, water