Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2017, 10:48 AM   #1

Water Pump Affecting Television

So this is a weird one! When my kids are watching a DVD on the Furrion television on rainy days, the television will flicker on and off whenever the water pump is on. So if my wife is washing the dishes the television goes black for 3 seconds, then the picture comes back for 3 seconds, then goes off etc. etc. The television does not power off and on, we just lose the picture until she turns the faucet completely off. Bad wiring?? Any thoughts?
RooRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:12 AM   #2

I would check to see if the TV and the water pump are on the same circuit, Its rather easy. pull the fuse that controls the TV and see if the Water pump works. The TV may be seeing a voltage drop which is automatically shutting it down.

Motors don't seem to care about a small voltage drop. they just run slower, get hotter, and don't last as long. LOL

Hope this is of some help
Sunseeker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker24 View Post
I would check to see if the TV and the water pump are on the same circuit, Its rather easy. pull the fuse that controls the TV and see if the Water pump works. The TV may be seeing a voltage drop which is automatically shutting it down.

Motors don't seem to care about a small voltage drop. they just run slower, get hotter, and don't last as long. LOL

Hope this is of some help

Thanks Sunseeker. So I pulled every single 15 and 40 amp fuse and none of them turned off the power to the television. Looks like it is controlled by a breaker, but when I tripped the breaker the tv was off but the pump still ran. Hmmmm. Any other suggestions?
Old 07-13-2017, 11:47 AM   #4

Hi RooRob, the DVD to TV seems to be an intermittent signal. Most DVD's are connected via HDMI cable directly from DVD Player to TV. However, if for some reason the HDMI cable run is somehow in close proximity to a power cable it may set up an interference. This can happen with the older coaxial cables when they were set near a 120VAC power cable. The coax has shielding on it to help with this, but sometimes the shielding was just not enough.
However, with that being said, I do not know if 12VDC power for your water pump would interfere with a DVD/HDMI cable set up. In any case, I would think it strange that the water pump power would be anywhere near the DVD HDMI cable.
Is the Water Pump Power On/Off Switch anywhere near the DVD/TV cabling?

Strange for sure!
2014 Ford F350 CC LB FX4 6.7LPSD 3:55 E-Locker
Bellville, Texas
Austin County "Colonial Capital of Texas"
CMelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:10 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooRob View Post
Thanks Sunseeker. So I pulled every single 15 and 40 amp fuse and none of them turned off the power to the television. Looks like it is controlled by a breaker,
Correct, the TV is 120v (controlled by a breaker) assuming it is plugged into an AC electrical outlet.

Quote:
but when I tripped the breaker the tv was off but the pump still ran. Hmmmm. Any other suggestions?
The water pump is 12v and protected with fuses. Two separate circuits/types of power between the two.

It is strange the screen goes black when the pump runs.
We are only guessing at answers so we'll ask a few additional questions...
Is any part of the water pump or its wiring/switch near the TV?
Does this only happen when watching DVD's or does it happen with cable or antenna?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:19 PM   #6

Location: Minnesota ( wishing we were boondocking in the New York Catskills )
It is not uncommon that FR wires the power converter to the same AC circuit breaker as the 120V outlet for the Television.

Is your battery disconnect "on" or "off" when the problem occurs ?

The water pump draws some current, although it would seem odd that it is enough to load the converter to a point where it would in turn cause the AC to sag that far. THAT SAID ... verify that the 120V connections for the Television circuit and Converter 120V supply - both HOT and NEUTRAL - are good and tight. Be sure that the main power is off, or consult an electrician if you are not comfortable with working on the 120V side.

Jeff and Abby
Fur Babies - Xandra Sophia (GSD) and Neo (Min-Pin Mutt who thinks he is a cat)
2015 Tracer Air 235 (previous 1994 Veri-Lite 1130 TC)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab - 360 - 46RE (Built)
Jeff_and_Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMelder View Post
Hi RooRob, the DVD to TV seems to be an intermittent signal. Most DVD's are connected via HDMI cable directly from DVD Player to TV. However, if for some reason the HDMI cable run is somehow in close proximity to a power cable it may set up an interference. This can happen with the older coaxial cables when they were set near a 120VAC power cable. The coax has shielding on it to help with this, but sometimes the shielding was just not enough.
However, with that being said, I do not know if 12VDC power for your water pump would interfere with a DVD/HDMI cable set up. In any case, I would think it strange that the water pump power would be anywhere near the DVD HDMI cable.
Is the Water Pump Power On/Off Switch anywhere near the DVD/TV cabling?

Strange for sure!

Thanks CMelder. The pump on/off switch is only 12 inches from the tv/dvd on the ikss. Very close.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Correct, the TV is 120v (controlled by a breaker) assuming it is plugged into an AC electrical outlet.

The water pump is 12v and protected with fuses. Two separate circuits/types of power between the two.

It is strange the screen goes black when the pump runs.
We are only guessing at answers so we'll ask a few additional questions...
Is any part of the water pump or its wiring/switch near the TV?
Does this only happen when watching DVD's or does it happen with cable or antenna?

Thanks 5Picker. I have never used the cable/antenna. Only DVDs. And yes, the wiring for the pumps on/off switch is directly beside the tv/DVD player, 12 inches away from the cables at most.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks CMelder. The pump on/off switch is only 12 inches from the tv/dvd on the ikss. Very close.
Hmm, well it sounds like this may be the issue. You may want to see if you can move that switch & wiring to another location. Wish there was a way to test that theory before actually doing it.

Maybe your RV dealer has run into this problem before and has an easy fix? Some sort of suppressor that could be installed? Just guessing here.

Can you isolate the HDMI cable away from this area to see if the problem stops?
Bellville, Texas
Old 07-14-2017, 02:46 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks Sunseeker. So I pulled every single 15 and 40 amp fuse and none of them turned off the power to the television. Looks like it is controlled by a breaker, but when I tripped the breaker the tv was off but the pump still ran. Hmmmm. Any other suggestions?
The TV is most likely 120VAC while the DVD player is 12V. Do the same test with the DVD/Radio. There is most likely a poor connection on that circuit and when the water pump is on drawing current it causes a voltage drop on the circuit which includes the DVD and it causes a loss of signal to the TV.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 02:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
The TV is most likely 120VAC while the DVD player is 12V. Do the same test with the DVD/Radio. There is most likely a poor connection on that circuit and when the water pump is on drawing current it causes a voltage drop on the circuit which includes the DVD and it causes a loss of signal to the TV.
Flybob might be on to something here ... worth a look into.
Bellville, Texas
Old 07-14-2017, 02:57 PM   #12

I had posted here a while back that when I would run my awning out or in while TV was on that the TV would pixel as long as I was running awning. As soon as I stopped running awning TV was normal again. Also, I got a mount to mount the TV on the side of the cabinet , up by the ceiling , it swivels and extends. It I swivel TV close to the wall so I can watch while at kitchen table I loose picture. If I move either the power cord or the coaxial away from each other it does not do it. Has to be something to do with power cord and 12 volts at coaxial for antenna amplifier reacting to each other. I never got any replies on my post though. :-((
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 05:41 PM   #13

Dropping 12 volts

I have the same type of tv you mention, mine operates on 12 volts. Water pumps draw a lot of current and could be causing a volt drop that distrups your picture. Monitor your 12 volt power and turn on your water pump, if it's like mine you will see a substantial drop in voltage.
leftyneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:53 PM   #14

It sounds like you are using the built in DVD player, which is 12 volt as explained above. It sounds as though the issue is the DVD player and not the tv. If you have the space you might want to try a stand alone player. This has the added benefit of letting you upgrade to blu ray. You most likely don't need the higher resolution but it nice to be able play those movies if you own any.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 09:48 AM   #15

Check all AC wall plugs for proper wiring...Are all copper grounds terminated properly????..Check main ground at chassis......Grounds in main AC panel tight???
Sounds like a ground problem.....J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 07:29 PM   #16

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback and assistance. Since I will be hooked up to water at most sites, i will just learn to live with this problem, as the water pump will rarely be used. Cheers!!

Tags
pump, television, water, water pump