Old 09-27-2016, 07:25 PM   #1

Water pump not working

First season with our 2015 233S. Dry camped once and used water pump to flush at the dump station multiple times. Pump worked great most of the summer. Recently I'm pretty sure my water tank filled while at a site using city water. Possibly a check valve issue, but it only happened once. Then the pump seemed to work half power. Now the pump makes a low noise but doesn't pump water. It's under warranty and I'll have it checked by dealer later, but wondering if anyone has any ideas. Any quick fixes I could try, or is it just fried?

2016 Nights Camped = 22
PEAS_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 12:20 PM   #2
Head Rambler

Are you sure the fresh water tank has water in it?

Also check the suction strainer for debris?

I assume that everything works on city water (faucets, toilet, etc.)?

Old 09-28-2016, 12:44 PM   #3

Bamas right... you said your 'pretty sure' the fresh water tank is filled because of a check valve issue but do you know for sure?

When you said the pump worked at 'half power' did you mean it sounded like the pump was running slow or that it was only pumping half the amount of water you expected.

That comment sounds to me like the classic, "the suction strainer has debris in it" symptom which Bama also mentioned.

A pump starving for supply water, will sound much differently than one under normal circumstances. This different sound (when starved) doesn't necessarily mean there is anything wrong with the pump. I'm also not saying there isn't something wrong with it. I'm just saying that because it "makes a low noise" (as you called it) it could just be starving for water.
TST Tire Monitor - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
2016 Nights Camped = 46
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:58 AM   #4

Thanks both for your replies.

I am positive that there was water in the tank. I had added water myself this through the fill port and could see that it was at least half full. What I meant was that I am pretty sure that on a previous trip the tank became full, but I don't recall putting water in it. It may have filled itself due to a check valve issue. That only happened once. Just added that statement to fill in the whole picture.

When pump was operating "half power", I could hear that it sounded different, it wasn't as loud and it pulsed more, and the water didn't come out with as much pressure.

Now the pump runs constantly when turned on, but it isn't as loud as when it was operating at full pressure (that's what I meant...lower volume noise). But no water output.

Water works perfectly fine when hooked up to city water supply.

I will check the suction strainer. I need to look that one up, though. Can you tell me where it is to save me some time?

Thanks again for your help.

Todd

2016 Nights Camped = 22
Old 09-29-2016, 08:06 AM   #5

The suction strainer is mounted to the inlet side of the pump.
It is the clear/black part in the lower right of this photo.
Typically the clear part turns off of the black body for servicing.

EDIT:
Here is just the suction strainer.
2016 Nights Camped = 46
Old 09-29-2016, 03:01 PM   #6

This was once a popular style of strainer too.
Don't see as many of these but some.
This one has two downfalls...
1. Not as easy to service because of the way it attaches.
2. They were notorious for working loose (on the threaded part) from vibrations of the pump and sucking air. (won't pump water)

Suction Strainer Cleaning Video

RV water pump preventative maintenance.
2016 Nights Camped = 46
Old 09-29-2016, 04:03 PM   #7

Are the little strainers blocked on your faucets. That happened to me this summer. Just unscrew and check. Also did you bleed the air out of the water heater?
Old 09-30-2016, 10:29 AM   #8

We had similar symptoms. Pump had problems priming. FR replaced the pump at the Goshen rally...but symptoms continued. Finally, I moved the pump closer to the tank an eliminated about 4ft of suction side tubing. I also moved the tank end of the suction tube from the side of the take to the drain port on the bottom. Pump has worked great ever since.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 12:23 PM   #9

At camp this weekend. Took some time to check the pump. The screen did have some gunk in it. Feels like a lubricant of some kind. But it didn't seem to be constricting water flow. I decided that the pump likely lost prime. Took the water hose and fed water into the anti freeze inlet. Turned the valve and ran the faucets with water flowing through the pump. Noticed that the pump wouldn't operate under pressure. I'm sure this is by design.

After running a little water through I turned off the hose and relieved pressure at the faucet. I switched the valve back from inlet to tank. Turned on the pump and you could tell it was priming. Ran some water and all is good now.

Thanks again all for your help. This seems to have been a simple priming issue with a simple fix.

2016 Nights Camped = 22
Old 10-01-2016, 02:37 PM   #10
Head Rambler

Thanks for letting us know what you found.

Those pumps are good at self priming from the fresh water tank. You possibly had a piece of debris in the check valve along with stuff in the strainer. It possibly came out during the work you did.

Hopefully it won't happen again.

Tags
pump, water, water pump