Old 05-14-2015, 08:08 PM   #11

My suggestion would be to read through this thread:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...res-50603.html

Take the time to run thru the CAT scales several times. Weigh the trailer by itself, and your truck by itself unhitched. Then you will know what you are starting with. Then hook up the trailer with a load similar to what you'd have in it when camping (including water in the tanks if applicable). Weigh it again and you will see how the weight on the truck's axles changes. Are you still within the limits of the truck's axles? We definitely needed a WDH for our setup and following this guide we were able to get the hitch dialed in perfectly.
Hope this helps with your decision.

2015 Shamrock 23IKSS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DH-DW-D3K-DMTTSAP
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK-in-SC View Post
My suggestion would be to read through this thread:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...res-50603.html

Take the time to run thru the CAT scales several times. Weigh the trailer by itself, and your truck by itself unhitched. Then you will know what you are starting with. Then hook up the trailer with a load similar to what you'd have in it when camping (including water in the tanks if applicable). Weigh it again and you will see how the weight on the truck's axles changes. Are you still within the limits of the truck's axles? We definitely needed a WDH for our setup and following this guide we were able to get the hitch dialed in perfectly.
Hope this helps with your decision.

Thanks DK-in SC.

Great posting by flicksters. I went ahead and copied his posting to use as a guide once I get the WDH installed.

I did order the 1000 lb. / 10000 lb. WDH. My "max" Hitch stats are 1500 / 12000 w/ WDH. Thinking I'm not going to need this much, but better than not having enough. Now if I only had access to flicksters "brother". LOL

Wow, looking back on the Pop Up days, it sure seemed easier! But still loving the NTU TT. Definitely a learning process.

Thanks again for the link.

2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD LT 4x4 6.0 / 4:10

The best plans can be of those that happen in the spur of the moment!
Briorick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:33 PM   #13

WDH Update

Thanks to all with your input. I did install my WDH and got it set up. Took me roughly an hour or so, but was well worth the time invested. Thanks to Youtube as well for making the install a breeze. Took a bit of determining the chain link count on the bar, but now have it perfectly set.

Camper is within a 1/4" of being level, front to back. Truck is roughly -3/4" difference, from my original rear measured height, and front height remaining the same. About as perfectly level as can be for my setup.

Took her out for a test drive, stopped at a local parking lot, re-checked out my levelness ( truck and camper heights ) and was very happy indeed. Sitting level and pretty.

Went for a short jaunt, purposely over the tracks ( minimal speed, of course ) and continued down the highway checking out the handling, bumps, curves, etc. and was very amazed at the difference. No bucking, porposing, etc.

I'm impressed with the different towing felling. Pulls like a charm. I guess I would have never known how much better towing my lite weight HTT ( and the questionable need for a WDH ) has turned out to be without the help and suggestions from this forum.

Going on a couple hour drive camping trip this weekend so will get to really bask in my glory of installing this WDH and feel its benefits.
Thanks again, ALL!

2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD LT 4x4 6.0 / 4:10

The best plans can be of those that happen in the spur of the moment!
Briorick is online now   Reply With Quote