Old 05-08-2016, 08:49 PM   #11

Make sure you know exactly what you're buying - don't just buy "a pickup truck." Not all pickups are created equal. (When you're RV salesman tells you "Oh, a 1/2 ton can pull this - he's probably lying through his teeth.) My 2009 Silverado owners manual lists 99 (yes - 99!) permutations of Silverado 1500 with towing capacities from 4,000 lbs to 12,000 lbs, based on engine, trans, rear end gear ratio, cab size, bed size, tow package, brakes, etc.

And I haven't even mentioned payload!

So make sure you know what you're buying!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:30 PM   #12
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milktrk View Post
We are getting a new 233s and I have been calculating all of the weights. Most of the larger SUVs (Tahoe, Armada, Sequoia, Suburban, Expedition) and 150/1500s only have a cargo capacity of about 1200-1500 pounds. That has to include passengers, full tank of gas, tongue weight (600+pounds), and the weight of the weight distribution hitch. The weight adds up quickly.
Yep, don't get a SUV unless you need one.
Their weakness is payload capacity, compared to an equivalent truck.
And the truck bed allows for carrying bikes, wood, generator, chairs and so on.

'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:52 PM   #13

As others have said, try to think of what your next TT might be. If you have young children now they may want to bring friends along or they may not want to share same bed which may lead you to either a bunk house design or a roo with 3 beds.

LOVE my tundra but my 1300lbs payload is gone quick with tongue weight, gear, dogs and oh yea our kid and friend.

2014 Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:18 AM   #14

OK, SUV is out. I need to understand the language of pick up trucks and payloads.

Our TV will be an extra vehicle for us, hopefully find one used that meets our needs. Not in a rush and time to look for the right one but totally lost in the pick up truck lingo.

What are we looking for and do you have a favorite? And totally don't understand "payload"

23IKSS: hitch wt 658 / dry wt 5349 / cargo wt 1309

And thanks everyone!
Old 05-09-2016, 07:33 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sienna View Post
Our TV will be an extra vehicle for us, hopefully find one used that meets our needs. Not in a rush and time to look for the right one but totally lost in the pick up truck lingo.

What are we looking for and do you have a favorite? And totally don't understand "payload"

And thanks everyone!
For a start, that 658 hitch wt is an illusion, the real number would be close to 800 in my guess estimate.
Then we have payload. A quick search on internet will show that manufacturers have different ways to express that. Some include full tanks, some don't. Accessories also take payload and in many cases it's not clear if the standard internet payload include them or not.
I just looked at Ford website and they have 2000 for payload and 10000 for towing limit on a F150 SL crew cab V8 with the towing package... But after you select that, you are lead to the package and option pages and it's unclear by the end if the first stated numbers are what you get or you need to discount the weight of your options from that....
So the weight of your family + your luggage + the tongue weight would be your minimum, some will say double that and buy a truck with that capacity and you are good to go...
I think the best way is to look at the sticker on the drivers door column...

my 2c.
Nights camped :
2016 - 31
2017 - 3 (so far...)
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:11 AM   #16

Quote:

And thanks everyone!
We are about to start our 4th season with our 23IKSS after 13 years with a popup. We still enjoy the "camping feel" of the tents, but also wanted a few more amenities, and this floor plan has been perfect for us.

I think a pickup is the best option for towing this camper. As far as what to look for - payload is your cargo carrying capacity. So its the GVWR (the maximum weight of truck and cargo, including the tongue weight of the trailer) minus the empty weight of the truck. To stay within the truck's ratings, your weight of passengers, fuel, cargo, tongue weight, and the hitch itself should be less than the payload rating of the truck. In addition to the weight, a big change from towing the popup is the huge square front on the hybrid. The drag created from the square front is very noticeable when you are used to the popup. That is the other reason why you want the right tow vehicle.

The sticker inside the driver side door will give you those numbers for that truck. When you look at online guides and other information, they are often generic ratings. The engine, cab & bed configuration, and other options can make several similar trucks have different payload ratings.

In general, if you are looking at half tons - F-150, Chevy or Dodge 1500, Nissan Titan, Toyota Tundra you want the bigger engine & factory tow package to get the most towing capacity. If you went really big with a 250/2500 HD truck, any of them should be fine.

Brand of truck comes down to preference - they are all capable of doing the job - , and with a used truck it may be more about availability and finding the right deal.

Regardless, I would look for something with a payload capacity in the 1800-2000 lb range. When I weighed our loaded IKSS on the scales, total camper was 6050 and the tongue weight was 850. Add 75 lbs for the hitch, then people / gear it adds up quick.

Good luck in your search for truck & trailer!

2005 F-150 FX4
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:31 PM   #17

Quote:
New to the forum, live in north Dallas and love to camp and travel. Recent repairs brought us into our favorite RV dealer where we browsed the inventory,
stepped into a Shamrock 23IKSS and fell in love. Still have our pop up but beginning research for tow vehicle needed in order to make the step up to hybrid. We currently have a Honda Odyssey van pulling our beloved Starcraft. So we welcome any advice and suggestions for what to purchase and look for in our next tow vehicle.
Thanks in advance.
I tow a Roo 23IKSS which is the twin to the Shamrock (in case you were not aware) with a Ford F150. I just traded up from a 2010 Super Crew 5.4 with a 3.55 rear end to a 2016 Super Crew 3.5 EB with a 3.55 rear end. As others have mentioned there are lots of variations. Get max tow package on a Ford, that kind of sorts it all out for you. Ford also publishes a great towing guide each year.

On my 2010 I had installed a very high aerodynamic cap which really helped stabilize the towing at higher speeds since the 23IKSS is so high. I miss it and plan to do the same with the 2016.

The nice thing about the 15/16 F150 is the aluminum body. The 750 lbs saved translates directly to increased payload. I would recommend looking for a used 15 or bite the bullet and buy new. The capacities are great for a 1/2 ton and there is plenty of power. But the 2010 5.4 was more than adequate since it also had the Max tow.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:05 PM   #18

Two vehicle

Most 1500/trucks can handle the 233iks. The biggest issue.most people ignore is payload capability of the truck payload includes all passengers all luggage and anything in the bed plus the.tonge with of the trailer.

I have a 1500 RAM, and pulls fine on flat ground but going up hills I lose speed quickly and rpm jump. I used a diesel grand Cherokee and it pulled up hills no problem. My next truck will be a diesel without a doubt
Old 05-09-2016, 06:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatWaz00 View Post
Most 1500/trucks can handle the 233iks. The biggest issue.most people ignore is payload capability of the truck payload includes all passengers all luggage and anything in the bed plus the.tonge with of the trailer.

I have a 1500 RAM, and pulls fine on flat ground but going up hills I lose speed quickly and rpm jump. I used a diesel grand Cherokee and it pulled up hills no problem. My next truck will be a diesel without a doubt
The statement in red is the kind that gets folks in trouble. Go read my post #11. Looks like GVWR for the 23IKSS is around 5800 lbs (NEVER use dry weight - it's an imaginary number for all intents and purposes). You don't want a 4000 lb Silverado.

You have to be careful.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:16 PM   #20

OK, SUV is out. I need to understand the language of pick up trucks and payloads.

Unless you do what I did and get an Excursion, the King of the SUVs. I know someone who pulls an 11,000# TT with his.

PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is online now   Reply With Quote